PDA

View Full Version : directly Instance along an open Curve -?

jeric_synergy
01-15-2017, 01:40 PM
Is it possible to use a CURVE directly as a distribution control for instancing? Or do you have to convert it to a SC-type Spline?
+++++++++

OK, it would seem the answer is NO, but there's other issues:
see attached packaged scene.

This scene is exhibiting flipping issues related to what sees with an object following a Spline Control path, to whit:
Unfortunately, while the solution is well known for motions, I don't recall the solution for Instancing. IS it possible to have the pickets (in this case) properly aligned to the Spline Control spline?

DAMAKERS
01-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Hi Jeric,

The spline takes in account the heading of the nodes (nulls, etc) that is conforming it, when they re not aligned in the way that the spline is drawn, an instance flip occurs, like your example, so aling the heading of the nodes comforming the spline in one direction or the other to get the result u re looking for. theres is a button in motion that fix it with out turning headings, but for instances its a must.

MichaelT
01-16-2017, 05:27 PM
In short... if you mark the other half of the spline nodes, and rotate them, it will (in this case) be ok.

jeric_synergy
01-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Actually, I got it earlier: updated FB, not here, let me C&P:
++++++++++++++++++++

|OK, I got to a generalized solution, that will remain tangent to the spline no matter its shape.

First: I set all the nodes comprising the spline to have Rotation constrained on the H&B channels to "Spline Control". That cured the flipping, but the picket wound up "on the ground" with the Y pointing inward to the path.

By rotating the picket 90 on the Bank channel, it lined up correctly. Why? Beats me. but it works.

Thanks to Ezra Szigetti for starting me down the correct path.
+++++++++++++++
BTW, I rotated the picket in LWM, not in Layout, although that would have worked also.

Setting H&B to SPLINE CONTROL works best, rather than piece-mealing it, plus there was no transition zone to deal with.

jeric_synergy
01-16-2017, 06:43 PM
Ooops, I kinda gave up on my original question (because it had been so long I just thought I was hallucinating...), but:

Wasn't there an upgrade that allowed us to use Curves directly for Spline Control? I vaguely remember something along those lines....

Ztreem
01-16-2017, 07:17 PM
There is a script that converts a curve to a spline, I can't remember the name but something like curve to spline. ;)

jeric_synergy
01-16-2017, 07:26 PM
There is a script that converts a curve to a spline, I can't remember the name but something like curve to spline. ;)

Yeah, I thought we had moved beyond that. --Maybe it was a beautiful dream.

--On a personal note, I wish this f+ck+ng hipster next to me at the coffee shop had learned to blow his goddam nose when a child. JFC, dood.

Lewis
01-17-2017, 02:16 AM
Yes you can use modeler curve directly in Layout. No need for convert spline or bones.
I use it many times it got enabled in 2015.

You just still have to add NULL to enable it working.

jeric_synergy
01-17-2017, 08:00 AM
Yes you can use modeler curve directly in Layout. No need for convert spline or bones.

AHHHHHHH! Thanks!

joseba
01-18-2017, 06:10 AM

How do you do that?

Lewis
01-18-2017, 06:33 AM
How do you do that?

In the motion panel you need to enable spline control for newly created null to be modeler spline and then you can add instances on to that spline easily.

here is simple setup scene (i also animated movement).

joseba
01-18-2017, 09:34 AM
Much appreciated Lewis.
It works!