PDA

View Full Version : Bake Bullet Dynamics?

cyclopse
01-14-2017, 07:25 AM
I've got some hair going, and it's friggin' crazy. I'm afraid to touch my scene because sometimes even touching non-dynamic objects will kick of a dynamic simulation. Can someone point me to a tut on how to bake bullet to an MDD?

Surrealist.
01-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Pretty simple as far as I know. Just select the objects and choose, File/export/ MD MultiBaker. You can also add an Mdd baker in the Object Properties Deform Tab/ Add Displacement/Mdd baker on an object by object basis. Then coming back in just use an Mdd Reader in the same tab for each object.

cyclopse
01-14-2017, 01:59 PM
Ok... I'm officially a moron. I just thought maybe there was some sort of setting in Bullet to "lock dynamics" into place or something. MD_Baker is gonna be the way to go then I guess.

Thanks!

jwiede
01-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Ok... I'm officially a moron. I just thought maybe there was some sort of setting in Bullet to "lock dynamics" into place or something. MD_Baker is gonna be the way to go then I guess.

Or just save it as Alembic using the Alembic (.abc) exporter (under File->Import/Export).

Surrealist.
01-14-2017, 07:13 PM
I have experimented with Alembic as a save and load format but I had never found it reliable as cache only. Importing as a mesh yeah. But using it to read the cache -only- and keep the mesh in the scene has not seemed to work for me. And for this reason my Alembic workflow has always been to import the Alembic file (with mesh) and save out the mdd. That way I could keep one mesh in the scene with all materials applied and use another scene to import and export the cache and simply using the mdd reader to replace animations without the need to load a new mesh each time, apply materials etc. Maybe there is a way to get it to work. I was not able to do it any other way. The deceiving thing is that when you load an alembic file it attaches an MD_Reader to the object. And this seems to work. But doing it manually has never worked for me. Not sure why.