PDA

View Full Version : One UV map to texture, another one to bake to?

Kuzey
01-11-2017, 02:51 PM
Hi guys,

I finally got the hang of surface baking but I'm stuck.

This is my uv map I use to texture my object, but using this to bake a surface only renders polygons inside the bounds of the uv window. I tried creating another uv map with the polygons inside the uv window but if I select that (not used in the textures)...it won't render.

Can I change the bounds of the uv window & not affect the scale of the textures?
Is it possible to bake to a second uv map instead?

Thanks guys.

Kuzey

jasonwestmas
01-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Yeah you can copy (duplicate) this UV set in modeler and use that for baking. But you have to scale the UVs to fit inside the O,1 UV grid there in order to bake.

Kuzey
01-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Just tried it again & it seemed to work this time...go figure.

Thanks Jason

bazsa73
01-12-2017, 05:52 AM
Hi Kuzey, this is a human character I guess and you used Automated Atlas UV layout which is not very great for unwrapping organic stuff.
I would suggest using insted the AFB unwrapper. You select edges or rather edge loops and along those the unwrapper slices up your mesh
and unwraps it in a more human readable fashion.

jasonwestmas
01-12-2017, 07:08 AM
Just tried it again & it seemed to work this time...go figure.

Thanks Jason

NP! You didn't have to scale down the UVs to fit the outmost boundaries of the UV grid? I'm not sure why the UVs were that large to begin with, in comparison to the grid. I guess you were using tiles on something.

Kuzey
01-12-2017, 11:44 AM
I should have included a render of how that map looks rendered :)

bazsa73:
I used Atlas because it's quick & I'm not good at uv mapping. My next step is to create a more traditional character based uv map & bake to that while using the first uv map for the texturing of the model..if that makes sense.

jasonwestmas:
I scaled the uv's up because the images I used were big & I wanted more of the details from the textures to be noticeable. It looks crazy, but for a painted paper texture effect..it kinda worked out

Thanks guys,

ps you can see more renders on the blog :) (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com.tr/2017/01/low-poly-yogi-bear.html)

jasonwestmas
01-12-2017, 12:02 PM
Thanks for sharing, I guess I would have to see the files to really be sure what is going on. :)

Kuzey
01-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Here's the node setup for yogi's skin.

Basically I just combine one or more paper images with colour & or Procedural textures..no need to manually paint or edit textures :)