PDA

View Full Version : Center Field Camera for Baseball

Sportsgram
01-11-2017, 09:05 AM
All,

We are being asked to bid on an opportunity for a baseball tournament where they are asking for a centerfield camera shot.

We are using a Tricaster 40 v2 and with Component HD cameras. A balun solution can get us 500 ft out from the Tricaster (so they say) but wanted to hear of some real world experiences.

Any other solutions you would suggest?

RileyM
01-12-2017, 09:40 AM
On a related question:
I understand the physical limit of transmitting via HD-SDI cable is 300ft? If I connect multiple SDI cables together using extenders, and they total over 300ft, in this case 500ft, will they work?

Radio_TVPat1982
01-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Terry I have used a component balun and 1000ft of CAT6 cable. I was a couple years ago and I sent it in to the component inputs on my TC Studio but it worked. The baluns are so cheap now, its worth a try. You can probably find a pair on ebay for like $25 Dont forget you need a transmit and receive

On a related question:
I understand the physical limit of transmitting via HD-SDI cable is 300ft? If I connect multiple SDI cables together using extenders, and they total over 300ft, in this case 500ft, will they work?

If you go beyond 300 ft you are risking loosing that digital signal. You would have to reclock it at that point. I have not tried this but a couple placed I work for uses some kind of "booster" as they call it to reclock the signal and additional 150 ft.

I know the more common method (though more expensive) is to convert is to fiber.

JPulera
01-12-2017, 10:03 AM
You need to use good quality HD-SDI cable for the 300' run, then connect a device to reclock the SDI signal, such as Black Magic SDI DA #CONVMSDIDA, then you start fresh with that reclocked HD-SDI output for another 300' again, and so on.

Another better option for long runs is Fiber, and I'm sure Jef or someone with experience in that area will chime in.

Thanks

Jeff

PIZAZZ
01-12-2017, 10:06 AM
On a related question:

Only if you are using a throwdown DA or something that reclocks the SDI signal can you go past 330' on "QUALITY" coax. Notice the emphasis on QUALITY coax. Good cable does matter when you are going long distances.

For Terry's quandry, I would definitely suggest going fiber instead of Cat5 and baluns. If there is a network deployed nearby then consider converting the camera feed of the outfield to NDI. Or if you wanted to you could do a 600' Cat5 run with a network switch to reclock at 300'. Keep in mind you will need to power the network switch there. There are solutions you can use to send Power Over Ethernet down one line and power a small 5 port switch using PoE. That would keep you from having to run 110volt power to the network switch point.

Unfortunately though Terry is held hostage by just having YUV analog inputs on his TriCaster 40. So baluns or expensive fiber converters are about the only way to solve his problem since the 40 has not NDI inputs.

- - - Updated - - -

You need to use good quality HD-SDI cable for the 300' run, then connect a device to reclock the SDI signal, such as Black Magic SDI DA #CONVMSDIDA, then you start fresh with that reclocked HD-SDI output for another 300' again, and so on.

Another better option for long runs is Fiber, and I'm sure Jef or someone with experience in that area will chime in.

Thanks

Jeff

We were typing at the same time, Jeff. Guys with the same name must think alike.