PDA

View Full Version : Black Smoke/Liquid

gamedesign1
01-10-2017, 08:53 AM
Hi All

I have a scene that I am working on where I need a paranormal black smoke effect to come shooting through a window.
Something that looks like this

Is this something that any of you have managed to do in LightWave? I haven't worked with smoke or fluid dynamics much before.
I am not looking to buy any extra software to achieve this effect, so I am just trying to see if it's possible with what I have.

Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks :)

Every4thPixel
01-10-2017, 08:59 AM
We've tried to do this several times but ended up filming it. It just much much much much easier. It will cost less time as well... like a lot...
But if you still want to do this the hard way, the closed look I got was with TFD dynamics.

gamedesign1
01-10-2017, 09:02 AM
Just found this tutorial with Blender https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw8hj2Uycvk

- - - Updated - - -

We've tried to do this several times but ended up filming it. It just much much much much easier. It will cost less time as well... like a lot...
But if you still want to do this the hard way, the closed look I got was with TFD dynamics.

Yeah I was thinking of maybe filming it, but I don't have a big enough tank or the space in my studio flat.

Every4thPixel
01-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Just get a plastic tank. You don't need a big one. 40 cm wide 30 cm high works fine. When you start simulating it all seems fun but then after ours you'll regret ;)

gamedesign1
01-10-2017, 09:14 AM
Just get a plastic tank. You don't need a big one. 40 cm wide 30 cm high works fine. When you start simulating it all seems fun but then after ours you'll regret ;)

Ok I will have to give it a go :) Yeah I can imagine it will take ages to render with all that simulation.

Every4thPixel
01-10-2017, 09:20 AM
It will also take ages to fill the tank again and again ;)

gamedesign1
01-10-2017, 09:23 AM
It will also take ages to fill the tank again and again ;)

Haha yeah, but I don't think that is quite as brain numbing :)

Every4thPixel
01-10-2017, 09:25 AM
I agree :D

Ma3rk
01-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Assuming you have them, have you considered using After Effects and Trapcode Particular? T'would be considerably more controllable than either TFD or a water tank. A lot less demanding systemwise than TFD to be sure.

gamedesign1
01-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Assuming you have them, have you considered using After Effects and Trapcode Particular? T'would be considerably more controllable than either TFD or a water tank. A lot less demanding systemwise than TFD to be sure.

I had not heard of that plugin before, thanks :)
Not sure I can afford it right now though

sadkkf
01-10-2017, 11:44 AM
If Particular is an option, go for it. It's very easy to use and you can get nice results quickly.

Dan Ritchie
01-10-2017, 12:47 PM
Fishtank and black milk.