PDA

View Full Version : Yet again my animation will not stop!!.

cove
01-05-2017, 02:44 PM
I had not to long ago put a similar post up on this forum and one other person responded saying from time to time he had a similar problem
were an animation that was running just would not stop no matter what you clicked on.
In my case the only option was to use the "End task" function.

Advice from Tech support was to send him the animation scene if it happened again so he can check it out.

The anim/will not stop issue reaccured again today.
Sent scene to tech support and tech found everything worked ok in 2 versions of Lightwave v11 and v2015.

In his reply he also asked me weather the VPR was set to "Draft Mode"
which it was.
I then tried the animation in VPR at option "Half Resolution" then also ticked "Pixel smoothing"

I had no issues with my animation with either or both of the above VPR options.

So if you ever have the same issue were your animation will not stop
then try choosing any other option than "Draft Mode" and see if it works for you.

The particular scene i sent to tech support consisted of a cloud of points created in modeler using the "Spray Points" feature.
In layout i selected "Hypervoxels" and activated the points object.
[I had set the points to move in a circle and to spread outwards].

Everything animated ok and i could stop and start it in any way as normal.
It was only when i turned on VPR that the animation would not stop.

Cannot say if the above will be usefull in other types of animation when it fails to stop but it is something you can try.

RebelHill
01-05-2017, 04:46 PM
It WILL stop, its just LW not getting the mouse click interrupt the same with vpr on, or rather, your not being able to click during the microsecond window when LW could catch it.

Use the "insert" key.

Sensei
01-05-2017, 05:07 PM
By "animation will not stop"
do you meant endless loop of rendering by VPR??

When this happens are you able to do anything with Layout?

Endless loops are possible in recursive ray-tracing,
but they pretty quickly end up filling process stack,
and crash.

In WinXP I had it a lot with VPR, infinite loop of refining, because of the way refreshing of rendering area was implemented.
Any window covering VPR rendering area was restarting rendering from scratch.

Are you using Aero? Try disabling/enabling.

Also check wait of vblank settings..

cove
01-06-2017, 02:09 AM
It WILL stop, its just LW not getting the mouse click interrupt the same with vpr on, or rather, your not being able to click during the microsecond window when LW could catch it.

Use the "insert" key.

Hi RebelHill
Not shore what you mean when you say "Use the "insert" key."
Not familiar with this term.

Quote.
"mouse click interrupt"

Sounds familiar what you refer to here.

When an anim that will not stop is running i clicked on anything and everything to try to halt the anim with no effect.
Having said that there was one thing i did click on and that was the
option to "Make Preview". Nothing happened imeadiatly. Then about 15 seconds later the "Make Preview" options window suddenly appeared.
As if, like you indicate, Lightwave found a moment it could react to my selecting "Make Preview".
I clicked on the Make Preview choice but this did not result in the
"Make Preview" setting window opening up but did actually stop the animation.
Unfortunaly after restarting the animation it again went on and on and would not stop.
Tried selecting the "Make Preview" option several times and sometimes it would appear some seconds later or not appear at all.

Seems tech supports advice to change from VPR "Draft mode" to something else is best option to date unless your suggestion to try
"Use the "insert" key." works. Love to try it and see what happens.

cove
01-06-2017, 03:35 AM
By "animation will not stop"
do you meant endless loop of rendering by VPR??

When this happens are you able to do anything with Layout?

Endless loops are possible in recursive ray-tracing,
but they pretty quickly end up filling process stack,
and crash.

In WinXP I had it a lot with VPR, infinite loop of refining, because of the way refreshing of rendering area was implemented.
Any window covering VPR rendering area was restarting rendering from scratch.

Are you using Aero? Try disabling/enabling.

Also check wait of vblank settings..

Thanks for responding.

Quote.
"By "animation will not stop"
do you meant endless loop of rendering by VPR??"

Yes.

I left the animation going at one point and did something else.
Remembered id left the animation going about an hour later.
It was still going.
In other words Lightwave did not crash or show any other reaction.

Providing i do not have VPR on the animation can be stopped and manipulated in any normal way.

Quote.
"When this happens are you able to do anything with Layout?"

No the Layout window is effectively locked up requiring you use the end task function.
Having said this please Refer to RebelHills reply and my response to RebelHill.

Quote.
"Are you using Aero?"

No.

Just as a matter of interest while testing things i wondered if actual final rendering of a frame of the animation would be affected in any way.
Pleased to say that any chosen frame rendered ok.
This also ok when a preset texture was applied.
So providing you do not turn on VPR at any time and know prior what your particles should look like then rendering output should be normal.

Yes i tried anything i could think of to try and understand what was happening.
This last accassion i recorded into a text file every step i made in recreating the this problem scene with Sprayed particles so i could discover the exact point at which the problem started.

Included this text record in my email to tech support so they had all info i could provide.

Also i have to say that this "Anim will not stop issue" has only accured about 5 times in 2016 but cannot remember weather previous scenes were similar to the present scene or different.
Maybe all along its simply been a VPR setting as changing to any setting other than Draft mode solved the problem. [Tech support advice].

RebelHill
01-06-2017, 09:04 AM
Not shore what you mean when you say "Use the "insert" key."

Seriously?!?

There's a key on your keyboard labelled "insert"... push it.

MonroePoteet
01-06-2017, 09:49 AM
The INSERT key (up at the top of the keyboard by Print Screen and Pause / Break) is the default LW shortcut for "Pause", which stops the timeline playing. In cases where LW is doing substantial internal computations, you may have to wait a bit for it to take effect. Sometimes, I'll even hold the key down to "flood" the input buffer, although I'm not sure that helps anything but my impatience! :)

mTp

cove
01-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Seriously?!?

There's a key on your keyboard labelled "insert"... push it.

I found the "insert key" and pushed it.
It did for a moment stop the animation then the animation started again.
Repeated same action with same result.
When i held down the key the animation stopped and started randomly.
Releasing the key allowed the animation to continue with out stopping.
Unfortunatly this did not have the effect i was hoping for.

Ps.I did check the keyboard for the "insert key" but this particular key also has written on it "Print Screen" and that is what i noticed and the
"insert key" did not register in my brain.
That,s my excuse and im sticking to it. :oye:

cove
01-06-2017, 11:53 AM
The INSERT key (up at the top of the keyboard by Print Screen and Pause / Break) is the default LW shortcut for "Pause", which stops the timeline playing. In cases where LW is doing substantial internal computations, you may have to wait a bit for it to take effect. Sometimes, I'll even hold the key down to "flood" the input buffer, although I'm not sure that helps anything but my impatience! :)

mTp

Thanks for fully explaining the action of the "insert key"
Will certainly try this key next time Lightwave is taking a bit to long to process something also good to know that this key is an internal Lightwave key stroke.

Quote.
"I'm not sure that helps anything but my impatience!"

I have this vision of you now as a demented devil :devil: trying to stop Lightwave doing something.:D

MonroePoteet
01-06-2017, 04:40 PM
Well, I wouldn't call it an "internal Lightwave key stroke". INSERT is just a shortcut key like any other, defined to be the "Pause" command, which is the same as pressing the || button in the lower right of Layout.

RE: demented devil, sometimes I do get frustrated when LW goes catatonic, but mostly I'm pretty patient. As an ex-systems-level programmer (not with LW, though), I'm mostly in awe of what LW is doing behind the scenes!

mTp

cove
01-07-2017, 01:59 AM
Well, I wouldn't call it an "internal Lightwave key stroke". INSERT is just a shortcut key like any other, defined to be the "Pause" command, which is the same as pressing the || button in the lower right of Layout.

RE: demented devil, sometimes I do get frustrated when LW goes catatonic, but mostly I'm pretty patient. As an ex-systems-level programmer (not with LW, though), I'm mostly in awe of what LW is doing behind the scenes!

mTp

Quote.
"INSERT is just a shortcut key like any other"

Oops!! i think i miss read your comment.

Quote.
"but mostly I'm pretty patient"

Maybe its the long wait for Lightwave "NEXT" to be released that has taught us all to be patient as you need the patience of a saint to cope
with the agonising wait.
Looks as if its going to be worth the wait though!.

Quote.
"I'm mostly in awe of what LW is doing behind the scenes!"

Same with me.
I have nothing but respect for the guys in the Development team who have given us what lightwave is now and whatever will be new in the next version of Lightwave.

Sensei
01-07-2017, 09:48 AM
Cove, do you have cached radiosity enabled?

VPR at the beginning of rendering is doing some precalcs, which are equivalent of the first few steps in F9 rendering (but here you see exactly where is renderer).
It's probably done on the main process of Layout.
While doing it, renderer is the most likely not checking user events.
Suppose so you have such scene which has too much extended this stage of precalcs so much that, play anim, while VPR is previewing,
is causing that the next frame is immediately after finishing precalcs, so they are one by one done (but doesn't check user events!)..

Newtek Developer having faster machine, than you, wouldn't see deadlocking, as precalcs stage would run faster on their machine..

The next time it deadlocks, open Task Manager, and see which threads are working.
You should also experiment with disabling Multi-threading,
either in Render Options,
and Multi-Thread Mesh Evaluation.

cove
01-07-2017, 02:52 PM
Cove, do you have cached radiosity enabled?

VPR at the beginning of rendering is doing some precalcs, which are equivalent of the first few steps in F9 rendering (but here you see exactly where is renderer).
It's probably done on the main process of Layout.
While doing it, renderer is the most likely not checking user events.
Suppose so you have such scene which has too much extended this stage of precalcs so much that, play anim, while VPR is previewing,
is causing that the next frame is immediately after finishing precalcs, so they are one by one done (but doesn't check user events!)..

Newtek Developer having faster machine, than you, wouldn't see deadlocking, as precalcs stage would run faster on their machine..

The next time it deadlocks, open Task Manager, and see which threads are working.
You should also experiment with disabling Multi-threading,
either in Render Options,
and Multi-Thread Mesh Evaluation.

Thanks for making a few more comments.
Unable to respond till tomorrow as getting late here [UK Time].
Get back to you as soon as i can.
Bye for now.

cove
01-08-2017, 06:06 AM
Thanks for making a few more comments.
Unable to respond till tomorrow as getting late here [UK Time].
Get back to you as soon as i can.
Bye for now.

If you mean by
"do you have cached radiosity enabled?"

do i have radiosity option on then no as i had no reason to add radiosity
at this early stage of testing particle scene.

Have attatched image to show image capture of anim in the background and 2 Task manager windows open. Also i did nothing more than "Activate" particle object
then turn on VPR. Without VPR on anim stops/starts ok.

Your suggestion to try changing Multithreading options had a positive reaction and did show a difference.
If i changed from Automatic to any other thread count [tried 1-12 threads] then the effect was that the action of clicking on any option
eg. anim stop/reverse/stop at particular frame etc was there would be a delay in response of anywere between 1 to 7 seconds depending on what you had clicked on.
The odd thing here is that when i set threads back to automatic this also now had the above 1 to 7 seconds delay as above.

The end result of all the responses/advice posted is that if the same "cannot stop anim" issue happens again i now have 2 ways to enable me to carry on with a problem scene.
Choose VPR setting to other than "Draft mode" or change thread settings to other than "Automatic"