PDA

View Full Version : NDI Connect opens momentarily and then crashes

JonCrowe
01-04-2017, 02:09 PM
I've just installed NDI Connect version 161101 and each time I try to launch it, it opens briefly and then crashes. Attempting to re-launch after the crash gives the message "you can only run one copy of NDI Connect at a time". Reboot, same issue. It happens every single time. Windows 7 Pro 64, core i7, Dell Latitude.

I can see the camera image just fine inside the BlackMagic caputre utility.

Any suggestions?

Jon

Zane Condren
01-04-2017, 02:35 PM
Are you running it as an administrator?

JonCrowe
01-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Yes.

kanep
01-04-2017, 05:46 PM
NewTek Connect Pro is many 'modules' of code running together, it sounds like one of the modules is failing, but the other are still running which is why it says 'only one copy can be run at a time', the other modules are still running and it thinks the program is still running.

My first guess (or question) is what graphics card is in the system and if you have update the graphic card drivers? NewTek Connect Pro requires an nVidia GPU, so if you are running Intel or AMD graphics that might be the cause.

JonCrowe
01-04-2017, 07:57 PM
Thanks Kane. The laptop in question has both Intel HD graphics and Nvidia graphics (there is a listing for each under display adapters in the device manager). Is there a way to force NDI Connect to use the Nvidia gpu? Or any other suggestions? It probably doesn't matter in this case but it is just Connect and not Connect Pro.

thanks
Jon

kanep
01-05-2017, 07:49 AM
You can go into the nVidia control panel, then to the 'Manage 3D settings' and set the preferred graphics processor to 'High performance nVidia processor' and see if that helps.

Zane Condren
01-05-2017, 09:08 AM
NewTek Connect and NT Connect Pro don't require NVIDIA GPUs but they are recommended. As Kane mentioned you can set it to always to use the high performance NVIDIA processor in the Manage 3D Settings. It will require you to manually find the NT Connect executable. 135481 Do you have the NDI Tools pack installed on the same machine? If not I would recommend you install the Tools and check to see if you see your NDI sources in NDI Video Monitor.

JonCrowe
01-05-2017, 02:26 PM
It's now working after selecting the Nvidia GPU as the preferred choice. I remember now that I've had to do that with some other software, and just didn't think of that in this case. As Zane points out, it's interesting that Nvidia isn't required, just recommended. That makes me wonder if the Intel HD 4000 I have just doesn't work when perhaps some other Intel GPUs would??? I only mention that because I have several laptops that I would like to use NDI Connect on that only have Intel integrated graphics. It would be interesting to know if there are some Intel GPUs that work better than others.

Zane Condren
01-05-2017, 02:45 PM
My guess is that it will work just fine on Laptops that only have Intel HD Graphics (4000 or better). The way dual GPUs are implemented in most Laptops can be somewhat problematic, basically the Intel Chip drives the display but the NVIDIA GPU does the processing but isn't used to drive the display. My own Asus Laptops has dual GPUs that can cause conflicts with GPU intensive applications. Manually setting those applications to use the NVIDIA GPU usually solves it.