PDA

View Full Version : Freelance UK

gamedesign1
01-03-2017, 09:18 AM
Hi All

Hope you are all doing well and looking forward to what 2017 brings :)
I am looking to increase my client base in the UK and was wondering where you guys normally get your work from.
I have been looking a some online freelance websites, but so far I notice that a lot of the work is being done by people for peanuts.
I am looking for better paid work, not necessarily top end but not 3D animations for 50 haha

Your thoughts would be really appreciated :)

Thanks

bobakabob
01-03-2017, 04:50 PM
Do you have a link to your work or a website? That would help get the wheels turning...

gamedesign1
01-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Yeah I have a portfolio website.
Do you guys just get work from people contacting your website then?

djwaterman
01-04-2017, 09:32 PM
The website is mainly a place people who have already been in contact with you can be directed to view your credentials, for instance if you make a contact and give them your card, the website is on the card. The card example might be less valid these days but if you are communicating with a prospective client via some form of social media, you want to be able to direct them to a website that shows them what it is you do in more detail. Perhaps you have a friend who mentions you to someone they are working with, suddenly that person is in contact with you and they will ask if you have a website or portfolio that they can present to their people, you can see how it is just a device to aid in decision making on whether someone will trust you to take on the job.

samurai_x
01-04-2017, 11:45 PM
London is one of the CG capitals of the world. Work for a studio for a few years if you haven't yet. There's nothing like gaining experience in a studio especially top class studios in london. Build your contacts, network. Clients will come to you by word of mouth.

gamedesign1
01-05-2017, 09:00 AM
The website is mainly a place people who have already been in contact with you can be directed to view your credentials, for instance if you make a contact and give them your card, the website is on the card. The card example might be less valid these days but if you are communicating with a prospective client via some form of social media, you want to be able to direct them to a website that shows them what it is you do in more detail. Perhaps you have a friend who mentions you to someone they are working with, suddenly that person is in contact with you and they will ask if you have a website or portfolio that they can present to their people, you can see how it is just a device to aid in decision making on whether someone will trust you to take on the job.

Thanks for your reply. I only mentioned my website because some asked if I had one. I don't see it as a way of getting initial contacts. I am looking for good examples of how you guys get new clients :)

gamedesign1
01-05-2017, 09:04 AM
London is one of the CG capitals of the world. Work for a studio for a few years if you haven't yet. There's nothing like gaining experience in a studio especially top class studios in london. Build your contacts, network. Clients will come to you by word of mouth.

I work from home and I have no desire to commute to London. I have done all the fast paced work life style in my younger days and it's really not for me now. Thanks for your reply though :)

rustythe1
01-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Thanks for your reply. I only mentioned my website because some asked if I had one. I don't see it as a way of getting initial contacts. I am looking for good examples of how you guys get new clients :)

actually I would not underestimate having your own website and Facebook page, people who are actively looking for freelancers rather than just posting work on freelancer etc will likely pay more as you will have less competition from the rest of the world if they are contacting you directly. if you look at any freelance website you will be up against much lower income countries so you will find you will need to do a lot of underpaid work to build up a reputation, think of it as part of your CV.

gamedesign1
01-05-2017, 09:17 PM
actually I would not underestimate having your own website and Facebook page, people who are actively looking for freelancers rather than just posting work on freelancer etc will likely pay more as you will have less competition from the rest of the world if they are contacting you directly. if you look at any freelance website you will be up against much lower income countries so you will find you will need to do a lot of underpaid work to build up a reputation, think of it as part of your CV.

That exactly what I noticed about the freelancers websites. I need to just start making more business connections with local companies and see how things go :)

DrStrik9
01-05-2017, 11:49 PM
Clients will come to you by word of mouth.

Yup. That's how it works in any creative field. It's the best possible promotion, because money can't buy it.