PDA

View Full Version : Ui Font is lost when Modeler is launch from Layout?

papou
01-03-2017, 08:42 AM
Hi!
This shortcuts permit me to launch Layout with the Tahoma font:

"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\bin\Layout.exe" -c"X:\NETRENDER\Newtek\LW2015" -f" [email protected]"
"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\bin\Modeler.exe" -c"X:\NETRENDER\Newtek\LW2015" -f" [email protected]"

But when i launch the Modeler from Layout [Modeler F12], the modeler start with the original font...
It seems that the Hub can't handle UI Font changes.

Can you confirm that?

Thanks

jwiede
01-03-2017, 06:28 PM
Are the shortcuts used the same as the cmds the Hub is using for launching the apps?

Launch Hub, look under "Launch Processes", and need to confirm cmds/shortcuts for both apps.

papou
01-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Are the shortcuts used the same as the cmds the Hub is using for launching the apps?

Launch Hub, look under "Launch Processes", and need to confirm cmds/shortcuts for both apps.

Hi Thx for your time jwiede.

That's my problem, i can't understand the syntax of the Hub ProcessName.

ProcessName 1 LWModeler "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\bin\Modeler.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\.NewTek\LightWave\2015.3" C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\.NewTek\LightWave\2015.3

I suppose it must be writen like the shortcuts...
But in the hub config, the path is written 3 times. And in the third path, there is no "" ... that's strange for a path that have space inside.

So where to put my -f" [email protected]" suffix?

papou
01-04-2017, 07:10 AM
No success...

jwiede
01-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Hmm, sorry, that was a quick thought I had off the top of my head. It may well be that the font isn't properly detected/communicated, in which case it's likely worth filing a bug.

In the mean time, what happens if you manually launch the Hub, then manually launch both Layout and Modeler from those shortcuts? Does that change the process descriptions?

papou
01-04-2017, 02:40 PM
Hmm, sorry, that was a quick thought I had off the top of my head. It may well be that the font isn't properly detected/communicated, in which case it's likely worth filing a bug.

In the mean time, what happens if you manually launch the Hub, then manually launch both Layout and Modeler from those shortcuts? Does that change the process descriptions?

nothing happens.
The hub start with the last used process path. (so, without any fonts suffix)
Then i start both shortcuts (that add fonts) but process are not rewrite with that fonts suffix in the hub process table. And nothing too inside the LWHUB config file.

It seems that this fonts suffix is not communicate to the hub and i don't see any way to write it in any configs file...

So. like always. Things are not seriously integrated into LW.... they just forget or i dunnot...

That is not Awesome.

jwiede
01-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Well, an alternative would be to disable the hub, and launch both processes using manual font-included shortcuts (and the file-based exchange system). You lose the "convenience" of the hub for switching apps, obviously, but probably gain some stability in the bargain.

Still, worth filing a bug report as well. Maybe LW3DG know of a workaround?

rustythe1
01-05-2017, 02:22 AM
as a work around could you not just create a dual exe. so that modeller is always open when layout is open, that way when you use the send to option the model will be sent to the already open modeller with the correct font?

creacon
01-05-2017, 03:51 AM
If you take a look at the hub cfg file you'll notice that the arguments are placed one after the other (without "-" or quotes). What that probably means is that the arguments are hardcoded (The first 2 are probably just cfg paths).

2 possibilities:
- Newtek tells you if there are other possible arguments and you add them.
- You're out of luck

Best advice is: Stop using this thing altogether.
Launch layout and modeler separately (-0 option) using the options you want and alt-tab between the apps.
If you make changes in modeler , save the object and layout will pick up the changes.

creacon

papou
01-05-2017, 08:44 AM
If you take a look at the hub cfg file you'll notice that the arguments are placed one after the other (without "-" or quotes). What that probably means is that the arguments are hardcoded (The first 2 are probably just cfg paths).

2 possibilities:
- Newtek tells you if there are other possible arguments and you add them.
- You're out of luck

Best advice is: Stop using this thing altogether.
Launch layout and modeler separately (-0 option) using the options you want and alt-tab between the apps.
If you make changes in modeler , save the object and layout will pick up the changes.

creacon

Maybe a good advice... I will think about...
But i have to find a way to replace my workflow.
Actually, i like the way the model is updated in Layout without being saved.
I can't imagine doing a Cammap without the Modeler synchronized... I need this undoable temporaly saved model....

papou
01-05-2017, 08:49 AM
as a work around could you not just create a dual exe. so that modeller is always open when layout is open, that way when you use the send to option the model will be sent to the already open modeller with the correct font?

Sure but this is a doable workaround ... since you close one app and start it again from Lightwave shortkey or right-top button.

papou
01-05-2017, 08:54 AM
Maybe LW3DG know of a workaround?

LW3DG? who is this? Aah?.... i almost forgot.

MonroePoteet
01-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Seems easy enough to start Layout and Modeler ahead of time from a BAT file (including the -f qualifier on the command line), then switch between them using F12. Yes, probably worth submitting a feature request that the Process information in HUB support all valid Layout / Modeler command-line options.

mTp

papou
01-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Yes it's possible to do a lot of things .... like replacing the F12 assignement by something that launch properly Modeler with the fonts Or replacing the hub function by an AutoIt version.
But if the user push the Modeler Button, then it is launch without font.

The better things to do is maybe to forget about customizing with font.
This is to much Experimental....

Just discovered that when you change fonts size, ... Items are no more aligned to theirs flags into the Classic Scene Editor... hahaha.

jwiede
01-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Just discovered that when you change fonts size, ... Items are no more aligned to theirs flags into the Classic Scene Editor... hahaha.

Unfortunately, the GUI engine in LW isn't too great about dealing with "unexpected" metrics, like changing the default font. One more reason to replace it with something more modern that's capable of fully font-relative GUI layout/alignment.