PDA

View Full Version : How to display weight map in wireframe mode?

Vorlath
01-02-2017, 10:56 AM
It seems that the only display mode that supports selecting through the object is wireframe mode. All other modes won't let you select the other side of the object or anything behind it. So when I turn on weight shade, the air brush only affects the front most points. I want to affect ALL points that overlap the air brush regardless of "depth" into the view. So basically, I want wireframe mode where the points are displayed using weight shade. Is there a way to do this?

MonroePoteet
01-02-2017, 04:34 PM
Two quick thoughts, which may not be helpful. First, AirBrush works through the object in wireframe mode, you just can't see the effect. So, you might set up Modeler's viewports "opposite" of what you'd expect: set Top, Back and Right viewports to Weight Shade, and Perspective to Wireframe. You can then use ALT-mouse drag to rotate the Perspective Wireframe and "weight through" the object using AirBrush while seeing the results in the three orthoscopic viewports.

Second, I was trying to think what circumstances you'd want such functionality, and it may be that turning on Symmetry (SHIFT-y or the button at the bottom), and any Weight airbrushing would be reflected on the opposite side of the model.

As I said, perhaps unhelpful ideas. I don't know of any way to get the Weight Shade viewport to effect points hidden by the geometry.

mTp

Vorlath
01-02-2017, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at the results in another viewport seems to be my best bet, but still sucks. Symmetry doesn't work because it only doubles up the effect. It doesn't pass through completely. I'm so used to doing all my selections and modeling in wireframe mode that what could be called "zbuffer modeling" is really weird to me (though I have used it in the perspective viewport).

There's color wireframe, but no weight wireframe. I guess because it's the polygons that are shaded, not the points. The reason I want to do this kind of weight map is because I want to distort my object on one plane. I thought using a weight map would be a good way to do this since the other falloff settings don't quite do what I need.

spherical
01-02-2017, 11:33 PM
Two quick thoughts, which may not be helpful. First, AirBrush works through the object in wireframe mode, you just can't see the effect. So, you might set up Modeler's viewports "opposite" of what you'd expect: set Top, Back and Right viewports to Weight Shade, and Perspective to Wireframe. You can then use ALT-mouse drag to rotate the Perspective Wireframe and "weight through" the object using AirBrush while seeing the results in the three orthoscopic viewports.

Can also be done the other way: orthos to Wireframe and perspective to Weight Shade OR set one of the viewports to a second perspective, set it to Weight Shade and leave the first as Wireframe. Mimic the two viewing angles to see what's going on and paint in the Wireframe perspective and two Wireframe ortho ports.