PDA

View Full Version : rendering, question

a_chisholm
12-16-2003, 04:57 AM
Can anyone clear up a question i have:

When rendering a scene does LW have to calculate objects that are not in view?

My scene, for example is full of objects but i only want to view small sections at each time. If LW calculates everything in the scene including objects totally out of view then my rendering time will be a lot slower than it could be. I don't use reflectivity so that shouldn't affect it

any advice is appreciated,
Alistair

Matt
12-16-2003, 06:46 AM
it does do some working out to find out which polys are in view, but it could be improved to make it more efficient (and accurate).

the 'render optimisation' button does do some extra work on this but how much better it is I have no idea.

I still see LW rendering polys that are then covered up by others.

Sub-dividing models helps solve this.

- - -

but in terms of forgetting about models that aren't in view, well it has to load them into memory to see if the polys are in view, whether it frees up the memory once it figures out which models are completely out of view I dunno, I doubt it, because in an animation it _might_ appear later.

but if an object isn't in view, or reflected in an object, it shouldn't be part of the raytracing calculation.

toby
12-16-2003, 10:21 AM
the renderer also has to consider shadows from objects that are out of view, even if you're not raytracing - it may help to uncheck them in the scene editor if you don't want them to render