PDA

View Full Version : Tsubaki Sanjuro

meshpig
12-30-2016, 03:19 AM
I can't remember exactly which Akiro Kurosawa film this is from ( Jidaigeki? ) but it's the final scene after a "local" has insisted on a bamboo dry run claiming a real sword duel would end in his favour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gEYlVmclrU

Ernest
01-03-2017, 02:31 PM
The duel with the bamboo dry run and the "local" claiming that it was a tie and switching to a real sword duel was in the 7 samurai, near the beginning, but it was not related to this scene from a different movie. Sanjuro was very different because it had 9 samurai.

bazsa73
01-03-2017, 02:55 PM
Sanjuro is in Yojimbo.

meshpig
01-20-2017, 05:18 AM
The duel with the bamboo dry run and the "local" claiming that it was a tie and switching to a real sword duel was in the 7 samurai, near the beginning, but it was not related to this scene from a different movie. Sanjuro was very different because it had 9 samurai.

Thanks. I sort of knew that but can't find it, blurred by the Mag 7 a'la Yul Brynner. Funny how, over time your mind creates Ghost movies out of scenes which affect one profoundly?

Will have to watch Yojimbo again, didn't like "Ronin" ... the bamboo dry run scenario though is crucial.

ianr
01-20-2017, 08:29 AM
Love all the Master's B & W work.

Years ago a close friend had a hardback book entirely made up of large thumbnail

photo's , shot as reference by Kurosawa San's crew on the set of the 'Seven Samurai.'

I would be amazed by the definition of the lighting and the framing of them.

And for '54 it contains the first slo-mo death scene, probably where Sam Peckinpah

got it from. These films to me are like going back in a time machine to see Ronin.