PDA

View Full Version : Help New to Lightwave

Lightwave Noob
12-29-2016, 09:38 AM
Hi, I am new to Lightwave and I am having trouble with switching to this program. I mainly work in Rhino and my boss thought Lightwave would be good to learn so we can start doing our own animations. I work in accident reconstruction so the work has to be accurate. I have had trouble with importing vehicles in at the correct scale and haven't been able to do anything successful to move on to importing the environment. Anything I have learned has been from Googling random Lightwave threads, Youtube or just playing with Lightwave. I have been stuck for the past couple days just trying to get a vehicle's tires to rotate. I followed a turorial on using the Dr Wheel Rotator but for what ever reason the tires wont rotate, with or without the command. Also the models that I have imported to Lightwave often have pieces missing and are a single color. I could use some help on how to import a 3d model and which commands would be good to use. I'm using a trial version right now so I'm not sure if there are any limitations. Thanks.

mummyman
12-29-2016, 10:35 AM
You might want to open Modeler, hit "d" and go into Units panel. Maybe switch to English / feet. Or know how many meters / convertion to use for real-world scales. That's a start for getting the models to the correct size. It's also in Layout under "d" then General.

ernpchan
12-29-2016, 10:35 AM
How are you importing your assets? As obj, fbx files?

You probably need to rebuild your surface colors. The surface groups should still be there. Getting all the surface information from on program to another usually doesn't translate because the programs work differently.

In regards to scale issues you can either scale them down in Modeler or Layout. But working with the demo may restrict the point count of your files unless you're working with the unlimited time limited demo.

As for missing geometry, if memory serves, Rhino is a nurbs modeler so you might need to make sure your geo is converted to polygons. I could be wrong about that though, I don't use Rhino.

jeric_synergy
12-29-2016, 11:12 AM
1) It's ALWAYS a good idea to post a sample file here so we can see what you're dealing with.

2) The units thing above is good. One cheapo trick for things is to create a simple bounding box, put it in a background layer, and size your main object by eyeballing the backgound layer as you SIZE the foreground layers.

3) IIRC, there's a plugin that may automate the process in #2.

4) For sure there's a plugin/script that will allow you to choose two points, define the intended distance between them, and then will scale the entire layer to conform to that distance. So, for a car, you'ld chose points on both ends, tell the script the proper distance, and blammo, scaled. (that script MIGHT be called "Absolute Size"-- don't quote me.)

5) In LAYOUT, each modeled LAYER acts like a separate object. You have to define pivot points for everything that is not centered at 0/0/0, fortunately, this is easy. MOVE PIVOT POINT is the tool. --Each layer only has ONE pivot point, so wheels, for instance, need to be on separate layers.

6) You may want to buy an old Dan Ablan book from ebay (cheap!): they are still valid, especially the latest. You could probably go back to 9.6 profitably, without running into too many changed items.

Lightwave Noob
12-29-2016, 11:26 AM
I'm importing obj. Thanks for the tips. I'll have to try them out.

jeric_synergy
12-29-2016, 11:43 AM
Note that if your imports are all one object, they may load into one layer. Every part that needs to move separately needs to be on its own layer. Just C&P them to individual layers-- it sounds worse than it is.

IIRC, OBJ import includes a scaling factor, no? If so, you should determine the proper factor by making, eg, a 1 meter test cube and importing it. (I may be thinking of some other import format.)

prometheus
12-29-2016, 04:04 PM
perhaps also consider looking at the newer dynamics tools for wheels, do follow this tutorial as it is and get that to work before trying to apply it to your objects....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Uqs0_SVrE

djwaterman
12-29-2016, 06:12 PM
Check this thread. http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?152307-Camera-lights-and-model-scale-and-render-resolution

Ztreem
12-29-2016, 07:15 PM
I'm using obj files from rhino all the time at work. I'll see if I can take a screenshot of my obj export settings in a couple of days. I use Rhino in millimeters and set all layers and materials in Rhino and then import into Lightwave Layout with obj scale set to 0.1% (Lightwave works in meters) this will give you the exact right scale.

jeric_synergy
12-29-2016, 07:17 PM
I'm using obj files from rhino all the time at work. I'll see if I can take a screenshot of my obj export settings in a couple of days. I use Rhino in millimeters and set all layers and materials in Rhino and then import into Lightwave Layout with obj scale set to 0.1% (Lightwave works in meters) this will give you the exact right scale.
:thumbsup: Valuable and usable info. :bowdown: