PDA

View Full Version : Paid ArchViz Work

adrian
12-27-2016, 12:53 PM
I've been approached to do some freelance archviz work. I'm looking for some advice as to what I should be setting my hourly rate at.

I'm currently working on a test project which I am breaking down into detailed timeframes, ie how long for modelling, how long for texturing, lighting, rendering etc. This is so I can give the client a confident answer when talking about how long something will take.

As for the money side of things a good friend of mine (who runs his own hypnotherapy business) says he charges 110 per session (hour) and he thinks I shouldn't be considering charging any less than 50 per hour. However I cannot help but think that is too high and going to price myself out of the job. Or maybe I am selling myself short?

Whilst I have done paid video work before I've not done any commercial CG work so any advice will be gratefully received as right now I am pretty much in the dark as to where to pitch.

sukardi
12-27-2016, 05:46 PM
Hi Adrian,

First of all, I think your friend is correct. As a pro in UK, you should not be charging anything less than GBP50 hour.

However, commercial archvis work relies a lot on custom presets, libraries etc for the whole workflow. If you are new to archvis, without those you may take twice as long as the dedicated pros in this area. You may end up effectively charging twice their rates.

So if you want to stick to market rate, and you are new to archvis, you may have to accept a lower hourly rate. Once you have build up your workflow, presets and libraries you will find your rates going up even if you charge the same amount for the work.

spherical
12-27-2016, 07:36 PM
Existing libraries, presets, etc., are great if they happen to fit the client's design direction. If not, you're starting from scratch anyway. When bidding a job, the artist is put into the position of competing against him/her self. In the end you just have to settle on a figure that you are comfortable and confident with. Trying to undervalue yourself in order to get the job never works out. Going in too cheap creates a bad impression and often you're not respected. It takes guts to look them in they eye and high-ball them, but it works out more than one would initially think.

That said, if you find that you are researching and/or creating a lot in the way of the above assets, just discount those hours internally. IOW, keep a tally on them at 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 rate, or even less, and compile them into full hours when you invoice. 4h @ 1/4 = 1 normal rate billable hour. Pay yourself cheap for the time invested in asset creation, but pay yourself something. Charge your full rate for the work done that is apart from the background asset creation, adding in the internally compiled hours, all as one figure. Then you can feel good about the job, the money it pays and the experience gained along the way.

adrian
12-28-2016, 02:36 AM
Thanks guys, that's really helpful in giving me some perspective. I would assume that something like LWCad would come in very handy in reducing modelling time as well although I wouldn't invest in this unless I had regular work coming in (although I do own version 2.1 but that's way out of date these days).

bobakabob
12-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Thanks guys, that's really helpful in giving me some perspective. I would assume that something like LWCad would come in very handy in reducing modelling time as well although I wouldn't invest in this unless I had regular work coming in (although I do own version 2.1 but that's way out of date these days).

You wouldn't regret LWCad. After upgrading to the latest LWCad I'm spending increasingly more time enjoying the flexibility and creative freedom. The Nurbs features allow you to work very quickly creating complex curved or linear structures with incredible precision if needed. The tools are also good for character work as well as hard surface modelling. You can can easily switch to polys at any stage. The Archviz tools make adding doors, windows and rooftops a cinch and there are other tools such as Boolean engraver and clone tools which are very powerful for all kinds of work. It's a pleasure to work with.

Markc
12-28-2016, 08:58 AM
I would be more inclined to set a flat rate for the end product, whether a number of stills or an animation.
Take a best guess how long it may take and work from there.

ianr
12-28-2016, 09:41 AM
As Rob above said, LWCAD build in a purchase of it into your rate, let the gig pay for it.
Delivery time is improved greatly with its use & it will be LW NeXt proof as well.

spherical
12-28-2016, 06:25 PM
I would be more inclined to set a flat rate for the end product, whether a number of stills or an animation.
Take a best guess how long it may take and work from there.

A "best guess" is easier to arrive at by taking your hourly rate, then estimating how long it will take, then add 50%, because we all underestimate how long things take. Trying to take a best guess at the entire project, without breaking it down into manageable parts of one sort or another, is seriously prone to large margins of error.

Markc
12-29-2016, 03:35 AM
True, I think the first one or two you do you will probably under charge (especially if freelancing, as you don't want to lose the gig).
After a couple you have an idea roughly the time it takes for a particular building type.
Thats how I approach it anyway, and have a flat figure for the completed image.
Sometimes it may take a day more, other times if you have reusable assets and preset lighting setups it will take less time.

adrian
12-29-2016, 06:20 AM
Thanks again guys, and I'll seriously look at getting the latest version of LWCAD.

spherical
12-29-2016, 08:40 PM
LWCAD is an investment well spent, even if you don't get the gig or even do any arch work in the future. Its tools have gotten me to where I needed to go when the LW native tools either failed or were nonexistent.

adrian
12-30-2016, 02:16 AM
So from what I'm reading LWCAD must have improved significantly because I quickly gave up with version 2.1 because I kept saying to myself "but I can do that in native LW just as easily" for most of the things I wanted to do with it.

Markc
12-30-2016, 11:48 AM
LWCAD is priceless IMHO.
Even doing 'non CAD' stuff, there are so many tools I regularly use, that work so much better than native options (and I'm still on version 4)
Namely snapping tools, bevelling, booleans etc.

bobakabob
01-03-2017, 05:06 PM
This is what sold it for me... And worth looking up the other Version 5 video updates on YouTube.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V_wJ5vKj_Wo&rdm=2cwbjl70n&client=mv-google

adrian
01-04-2017, 01:58 AM
Yeah I've been watching a few of the videos including the wooden structure tutorial one. I will definitely be investing in this plugin. I notice there's also a tutorial on Digital Tutors for LWCAD as well.

glebe digital
01-05-2017, 05:41 AM
Hi Adrian,

Good luck bringing in the gig :D Think you'll be lucky to get 50/hr in the current climate, day-rates of about 300-350 are more realistic.

adrian
01-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Was just wondering how long it would take in LWCAD to model the houses in the picture below, once up to speed with how to use the tools? Just a rough estimate would be fine. I wanted to compare how long it took me in LW so I can adjust my figures accordingly. Thanks!

Marander
01-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Was just wondering how long it would take in LWCAD to model the houses in the picture below, once up to speed with how to use the tools? Just a rough estimate would be fine. I wanted to compare how long it took me in LW so I can adjust my figures accordingly. Thanks!

Difficult to estimate in hours but you could create walls, floors, ceilings, roofs and shingles in no time. If you're satisfied with the default fences, doors and windows it's done very quickly. The time consuming thing would be all the details required for realism, environment, texturing and lighting in my opinion.

Markc
01-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Was just wondering how long it would take in LWCAD to model the houses in the picture below

Based on your quote, don't be mistaken thinking LWCad is an application to create buildings.
It is just a series of LW tools which when used in conjunction with standard LW make things easier.

If you haven't used any LWCad tools, it may take you a while to familiarise yourself with the benefits of certain tools.

bobakabob
01-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Based on your quote, don't be mistaken thinking LWCad is an application to create buildings.
It is just a series of LW tools which when used in conjunction with standard LW make things easier.

If you haven't used any LWCad tools, it may take you a while to familiarise yourself with the benefits of certain tools.

True, In my own case it took a good few days to fully appreciate the power and flexibility of the tools.