PDA

View Full Version : Another one for 2016

MichaelT
12-27-2016, 11:06 AM
Carrie Fisher died, after the heart attack she had on the airplane. R.I.P
I hope they write this in with respect in the new Star Wars trilogy, and not just some side comment.

prometheus
12-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Carrie Fisher died, after the heart attack she had on the airplane. R.I.P
I hope they write this in with respect in the new Star Wars trilogy, and not just some side comment.

Not another one..
sigh..just read it on the news, so sad, I was thinking about her after George Michaels passing and was hoping she would recover, the one and only space princess.

erikals
12-27-2016, 12:09 PM
:[

what a year...

adrian
12-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Yep, good riddance 2016. Let's HOPE 2017 will be better but with the fallout of Brexit and Trump I'm not counting any chickens in a hurry....

prometheus
12-28-2016, 07:09 PM
This is bizarre, Carrie Fishers mother Debbie Reynolds had a stroke and passed away too..one day after her daughter died..what a tragedy for that family, guess the sorrow of the death of carrie fisher became too much for Debbie:(

I recall singing in the rain which I really liked many years ago, and especially the song and dance sequence of "good morning"

Carrie was 60 and her mother Debbie Reynolds 84.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB2yiIoEtXw

erikals
12-28-2016, 07:15 PM
yes, at that age the sorrow often will be too much.

prometheus
12-28-2016, 07:17 PM
yes, at that age the sorrow often will be too much.

Yes..and perhaps it took her quite hard, as I understand it..carrie fisher didnīt talk to her mother for several years, not until later years when they got more close together again, then loosing her daughter like that must have been hard on Debbie.

jeric_synergy
12-28-2016, 10:01 PM
JFC, and now Debbie Reynolds, CF's mom, has died.

Go to hell, 2016.

wingzeta
12-28-2016, 11:40 PM
Debbie Reynolds was at normal life expectancy at least, but no one should have to outlive their child, even for a day.

As for most of these celebs, who have been dying 10-20 years earlier than life expectancy, my powers of deduction, and speculative conspiracy theorizing say: the rise in popularity of cocaine during the 70's and 80's, and these celebs money and fame allowing them to snort a whole lot more of it than average, probably docked 10-20 years off their lives. The baby boomer generation are the first to use drugs in any significant numbers, so we may start to get more data on effects. Life expectancy is dropping a bit. I noticed a lot of pro athletes have been dying the last few years, in their 50s and 60s. Steroids also began to plague pro sports around the time of their careers, not to mention other drugs like cocaine. Just a theory.

jeric_synergy
12-28-2016, 11:43 PM
wingzeta, I think there's at least a grain of truth in your speculations.

Good thing I couldn't ever afford all that 'fun'. Anything past 55 is a crapshoot though: even the apparently fit can go at any time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx

In the words of PK Dick, "Time to die." --It's always time to die.

DavidDixon
12-28-2016, 11:53 PM
End of 2016 is very sad.

wingzeta
12-29-2016, 12:14 AM
wingzeta, I think there's at least a grain of truth in your speculations.

Good thing I couldn't ever afford all that 'fun'. Anything past 55 is a crapshoot though: even the apparently fit can go at any time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx

In the words of PK Dick, "Time to die." --It's always time to die.

Yeah, there are a few more possible factors with sports, like enlarged hearts, concussions, etc. The data is still rolling in on those factors too. Exercise for fitness is also a relatively modern phenomena. People used to stay in shape by default with physical labor, or walking to get around. Now we sit at computers all day, and then do very strenuous, repetitive, activity in short bursts.

djwaterman
12-29-2016, 01:25 AM
You know what? People die, let's stop blaming the year.

bazsa73
12-29-2016, 01:44 AM
My best friend died few weeks ago, he was only 45.

MichaelT
12-29-2016, 02:56 AM
You know what? People die, let's stop blaming the year.

True, but this year is exceptional in the number of (quite notable, and regardless of age) people that have died.
And all over the globe I might add.

ianr
12-29-2016, 04:20 AM
What a beautiful mother, an astounding mother to exit
to look after her daughter. LOVE like that is incredible,
it"s almost poetic & really moving.

Spinland
12-29-2016, 05:05 AM

erikals
12-29-2016, 06:44 AM
What a beautiful mother, an astounding mother to exit
to look after her daughter. LOVE like that is incredible,
it"s almost poetic & really moving.

just wanted to re-post these words

ActionBob
12-29-2016, 08:39 AM
Yep, good riddance 2016. Let's HOPE 2017 will be better but with the fallout of Brexit and Trump I'm not counting any chickens in a hurry....

Not everyone subscribes to your political sentiment. Some of us are optimistic about the new year. As this is about Carrie Fisher, let us try and stay on topic. Adding political jabs does not honor the OP's intent or the memory of a funny and interesting lady.

-Adrian

Markc
12-29-2016, 09:20 AM
^^^^^^^ROGUE ONE SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^ROGUE ONE SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^^ROGUE ONE SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^^^ROGUE ONE SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^^SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^^^SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^^^SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^^SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^^^SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^^^SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^^
Did anybody see Rogue One before Carrie passed away.
Only saw it last night, and wondered whether the particular guest appearance at the very end was added in, also a mention at the very end of credits.

Spinland
12-29-2016, 09:39 AM
Not everyone subscribes to your political sentiment. Some of us are optimistic about the new year. As this is about Carrie Fisher, let us try and stay on topic. Adding political jabs does not honor the OP's intent or the memory of a funny and interesting lady.

-Adrian

Indeed. Thanks for stepping up to address that. :rock:

ActionBob
12-29-2016, 11:52 AM
^^^^^^^ROGUE ONE SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^ROGUE ONE SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^^ROGUE ONE SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^^^ROGUE ONE SPOILER ALERT^^^^^^^^
Did anybody see Rogue One before Carrie passed away.
Only saw it last night, and wondered whether the particular guest appearance at the very end was added in, also a mention at the very end of credits.

Particular appearance was in original release. Any mention post credits must have just been added in.

ianr
01-03-2017, 06:46 AM
Disney have Carrie on a 50 million $ dollar insurance policy with poor Old Lloyds of London

according to The Financial Times pink-sheet.

So to 'future guess' we may see a lot more of her (Carrie Fisher) in the future as the 1st full-time deceased actress.

The tech is in place with the Grand Moff Tarkin (Peter Cushing) as the 1st full-time deceased actor NOW in Rogue 1.

The like-a-like Actor (Guy Henry) did the mo-cap then had a CGI 'Cushing' face overlay and to me it looked a very good

likeness of Mr.Peter Cushing, who incidentally died in 1994. With a tiny, slight time lag, but it was definitely not Beowulf,

it's getting there.

To wrap that 50Mill pay out could get Disney's pay check to ILM the tech that last 3% to indistinguishable with living

interacting co-actors, we should watch the next one avidly for that

bazsa73
01-03-2017, 07:23 AM
Those CGI actors gave me the creep. They should have copy-paste the actor's face from live footage onto 3D or something similar, but those faces simply didn't work for me.
And their eyes should have been more lively. The eyes felt as if they were robots gazing into the void. I know it must have been a huge task but seemingly even ILM can't handle it.

lardbros
01-03-2017, 11:33 AM
I personally think Chris Jones did a nicer job of re-creating a life-like character, but then it wasn't speaking or acting. Not an easy task to do at all, but I didn't think the Peter Cushing acting was particularly convincing, it felt creepy to me. Stunning CG... no doubt about it, but still not perfect in my opinion.

jwiede
01-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Not an easy task to do at all, but I didn't think the Peter Cushing acting was particularly convincing, it felt creepy to me.

Cushing played Tarkin as kinda creepy back in the day, so that may have been intentional.

JohnMarchant
01-03-2017, 01:11 PM
For me the real problem was Peter Cushing's Voice, just totally wrong.

bazsa73
01-03-2017, 01:16 PM
Apart from these weaker points the movie was stunning. This is a real Star Wars movie, unlike the prequels. Ep. VII was also a bit disappointing, not so bad as Ep. I. but still.

ianr
01-04-2017, 06:13 AM
Baza73 U got something there, CGI eyes need nervous darts & flicker as a plug In!

bazsa73
01-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Baza73 U got something there, CGI eyes need nervous darts & flicker as a plug In!

But of course!

lardbros
01-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Cushing played Tarkin as kinda creepy back in the day, so that may have been intentional.

I mean creepy in the uncanny valley way. It didn't sit right with me, whereas an actor doesn't suffer from this, for obvious reasons.