PDA

View Full Version : Last Christmas...George Michael Has passed away

prometheus
12-26-2016, 07:54 AM
I canīt say I was a fan of him or had him as an idol, but some of his song was a sign of the time and some very memorable and beautiful, songs like different corner and praying for time which I liked.
Sadly George Michael passed away yesterday.

Scary how many celebs have passed away this year, at least it feels like that.
Bizzare..this last christmas, his heart gave up.

RIP George Michael

Michael

ianr
12-26-2016, 08:04 AM
Poor Georgios Kyriacos, R.I.P.

great pipes Careless Whispers

was the one Sinatra liked alot.

So many Troubadour's in a little time.

Spinland
12-26-2016, 08:22 AM
The year 2016 has been horrible for losing musicians. Just horrible. I was not into Wham! at all, but I consider GM to be among the top poets of our time lyrically (when he abandoned the teen pop genre), and he did have an amazing voice.

Another sad loss.

prometheus
12-26-2016, 08:52 AM
The year 2016 has been horrible for losing musicians. Just horrible. I was not into Wham! at all, but I consider GM to be among the top poets of our time lyrically (when he abandoned the teen pop genre), and he did have an amazing voice.

Another sad loss.

Yup..I couldnīt deal with wham either, but some of the songs he made as an solo artist will be unforgetable and iconic as typical popsongs for that 80īs era, at that time I often danced at someof those stuff and listen to it in the disco and pubs, even though it wasnīt particulary my style of music ..many of them was a typical 80īs iconic songs.
Did we actually see the passing of both Prince, David bowie, and now George Michael the same year?

Spinland
12-26-2016, 09:04 AM
"So you scream from behind your door,
'What's mine is mine, and not yours!'
We may have too much but we'll take our chances,
'Cause God's stopped keeping score."

Yeah, timeless lyrics. Sigh. :(

MichaelT
12-26-2016, 09:06 AM
Yeah, 2016 is called the year of the dead by some. I am stunned by the number of famous people (of all ages) that have died this year.

erikals
12-26-2016, 11:08 AM
presonally i was a big fan.

sad days.  :\

adrian
12-28-2016, 04:15 AM
Whilst I was not a Geroge Michael fan as such, the worst thing about the likes of his, Rick Parfitt et al passing away is the contemptible, talentless, manufactured drivel that is left in their wake. Reality TV "stars" - famous for being nothing; <Insert Country Here>'s got "Talent" - famous for being able to sing to a key (in other words they can sing karaoke). To paraphrase a line from Rogue One "The world is coming undone."

Maybe a tipping point will be reached now all the real talent is dying off will people stand up and say enough's enough with all the plastic trash celebs we now have to endure.

Rant over.

ianr
12-28-2016, 05:50 AM
I just watched last night BCC's fitting tribute
George Michael live @ L'Opera in Paris with
a staggeringly good Orchestra arranged by
the late great Phil Ramone (who started with
Sinatra incidentially ) the audience in evening
clothes danced in their gold leaf rococo seats.

I think we just lost the singer that could have
carried on after Tony Bennett well into this century.

ianr
12-28-2016, 09:35 AM
For Erikals, one of today's newspapers

Good points also Adrian can't stand that Cowell

creature, he's bad karma & has hurt U.K. music.

erikals
12-28-2016, 12:27 PM
For Erikals, one of today's newspapers

well deserved front page  :)

DavidDixon
12-29-2016, 12:06 AM
George Michael's loss is a great loss for a music industry.

Spinland
12-29-2016, 05:17 AM
Not that it'll matter to any else but moi, but I've picked out my favorite three of his tunes ("Waiting for That Day" to cover his pop period, "Praying for Time" and "Mother's Pride" for the more serious stuff) and added them to my list to work up solo guitar arrangements for as a tribute. For "Mother's Pride" I'll probably unbend a little and add a keyboard synth track. For some of us in the Gulf War that tune became kind of an unofficial anthem and that's why he's important to me musically.

I'll eventually record some covers that no one else will ever hear. It'll make me happy, and that's all that counts. ;D :jam:

erikals
12-29-2016, 06:40 AM
a bit about Michael's background

The Boy Who Couldn’t Sing
https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2482961/george-michael-became-a-pop-icon-but-childhood-photos-reveal-a-shy-boy-whose-own-dad-told-him-he-couldnt-sing

jeric_synergy
12-29-2016, 07:12 PM
I was never knowledgeable about GM, but: I saw a video of David Bowie and Annie Lennox rehearsing "Under Pressure" for that big Freddie Mercury 'do. On the sidelines, waiting his turn, was George Micheal, mouthing all the words, and obviously SO HAPPY to be in that talented group. I liked him for that.

Then I read about his numerous anonymous charities.

Such a pity.

I don't care what the statisticians say: we lost too many good ones this year.

c.1
12-30-2016, 07:06 PM
I was never really a GM fan, but he did have an unbelievably good voice and some catchy tunes. And I have to admit that "Careless Whisper" did get me laid when I was younger:devil:

Spinland
12-31-2016, 04:11 AM
Heh.

And I'm envious: my amp only goes to 13.

c.1
01-02-2017, 06:18 PM
"And I'm envious: my amp only goes to 13"

Ok it's a 2 channel amp and the other channel only goes up to 9 so we are even.