PDA

View Full Version : Alien:Covenant trailer

shrox
12-25-2016, 11:50 AM
Just saw the trailer for Alien:Covenant. Meh. Look a planet/chamber/room with an oxygen atmosphere! Let's take off our helmets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VW6sg50Pk

bazsa73
12-25-2016, 01:57 PM
Just saw the trailer for Alien:Covenant. Meh. Look a planet/chamber/room with an oxygen atmosphere! Let's take off our helmets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VW6sg50Pk

except you shouldn't because of the evil spores!

bobakabob
12-25-2016, 06:34 PM
What is Ridley thinking? Hoping this is just a low brow marketing ploy - Even Kubrick did this with the Shining's publicity. But appealing to the slasher movie crowd pretty much killed the franchise after Alien 3. Prometheus had promising production design and doubly interesting premise but terrible scripting as Shrox has alluded to. They should have released that superb trailer and been done with it.

The first movie had genuine enigma and revolutionary production design. Now the franchise has become exposition central so everything is explained. Giger's gothic vision has dissipated into rubbish third rate copies as Necronomicon is inexplicably allowed to faid into the mist. The alien designs leaking onto the net look like the original pre Giger bald turkey

Markc
12-26-2016, 05:00 AM
Firstly Merry Xmas all.
Personally I can't wait, love the whole Alien franchise.....(plus I like anything Ridley does) :santa:

tyrot
12-26-2016, 05:57 AM
markc no no not this time ... i think he totally lost it ...

Markc
12-26-2016, 09:03 AM
Really.....I'll still give it ago.
From the trailer it does look a bit of a rehash of the plots from the other films, but no more than The Force Awakens was :D

shrox
12-26-2016, 03:45 PM
Really.....I'll still give it ago.
From the trailer it does look a bit of a rehash of the plots from the other films, but no more than The Force Awakens was :D

Why can't sci-fi be smart, like DON'T TAKE OFF YOUR HELMET JUST BECAUSE THERE IS OYXGEN!!!

robertoortiz
12-26-2016, 04:58 PM
Why can't sci-fi be smart, like DON'T TAKE OFF YOUR HELMET JUST BECAUSE THERE IS OYXGEN!!!
Little good that did in the Original Alien.

prometheus
12-26-2016, 06:52 PM
Huh...that trailer did nothing for me, neither cinematographic or soundwise or horror wise, looked quite crappy somehow...dissapointing, letīs hope they release another trailer and see what that gives.
And letīs hope for a good story, though the scenes in here just is repeating old patterns to death.

Michael

shrox
12-26-2016, 07:21 PM
Little good that did in the Original Alien.

I'm keeping my helmet on until we get back the ship anyway.

Oldcode
12-26-2016, 07:41 PM
Looks like there's more of a bridge from Prometheus to ALIEN. Don't know if it will be any good or not. Prometheus was going so far out of its way not to be a prequel, it brought up a lot more questions than it answered and not in a good way. I'll probably see it once, but I don't expect much.

prometheus
12-26-2016, 07:42 PM
I wonder if it was Ridleyīs idea and control over casting sigourney weaver look alikes in these films, noomi...some features reminding, and now emma waterstone as well, not sure if that does anythin for the movie or if they believe that is what we want or something.

Maybe a huge change in alien manifistation here, coming out by the spinal cord? at least one scene..hehe, something has to be done to get chills in the spine :)

jeric_synergy
12-26-2016, 08:57 PM
Looks like there's more of a bridge from Prometheus to ALIEN.
Couldn't finish "Prometheus" -- it blabbed on and on endlessly and had the stupidest effin' lines: yes, I >>do<< expect a biologist to be excited about alien life. It was just DUMB.

Oldcode
12-26-2016, 09:36 PM
Couldn't finish "Prometheus" -- it blabbed on and on endlessly and had the stupidest effin' lines: yes, I >>do<< expect a biologist to be excited about alien life. It was just DUMB.

Agreed. So very very dumb. I found an earlier version of the screen play on line where it was very much supposed to be a direct prequel ALIEN. The moon they were on was LV426, and when the ship crashed at the end, it was supposed to be the ship they found in ALIEN. At one point, David was supposed to hold Elizabeth Shaw's face up to an alien egg and she gets face hugged. That's how she was originally was supposed to get impregnated. Another interesting idea is the ship was supposed to have several egg chambers, each with a different kind of alien spore. Other changes I saw convince me that if they had stayed on the original idea, it would have been a much better film.

bazsa73
12-27-2016, 01:28 AM
Did you like Arrival guys? It was pretty ok sci-fi.

bobakabob
12-27-2016, 04:22 AM
Did you like Arrival guys? It was pretty ok sci-fi.

I'd recommend Arrival, it's strong intelligent sci fi overall. Best seen in the cinema as the visuals and sound design are very atmospheric. Some original sequences eg entering the alien ship for the first time. Well sustained storytelling and quite moving in places. The cinematography is interesting... Mostly done on cloudy overcast days to heighten the realism, yet still impressive. Bladerunner 2 should be in safe hands...

*Spoilers ahead*
I had a few problems with the early attempts to communicate e.g marker pen and whiteboard?! And decoding the alien script would be impossible without some kind of cosmic Rosetta Stone. Still, always room for artistic license.
A few more cringey / disappointing moments...
Military threat subplot and rogue soldier (who is driven from what I recall was his mum being scared on the phone)
The male interest has zero personality.
Some dodgy dialogue:

Dr. Louise Banks: If you could see your life from start to finish, would you change things?
Ian Donnelly: Maybe I would say what I felt more often. I don't know.
[Looks up at the sky]
Ian Donnelly: You know I've had my head tilted up to the stars for as long as I can remember. You know what surprised me the most? It wasn't meeting them. It was meeting you.

The aliens look like oversized squids with elephant heads.
Just nitpicking - a bit churlish to criticise such a well meaning thought provoking film. Hopefully Alien Covenant hasn't gone in the opposite direction.

bazsa73
12-27-2016, 04:35 AM
I liked the Heptapod design, their look plus the otherwordly milieux they delved in added to the believability factor.

bobakabob
12-27-2016, 06:49 AM
I liked the Heptapod design, their look plus the otherwordly milieux they delved in added to the believability factor.

A strong point was that we never really got a close look at the Heptapods, a similar approach to the first Alien film. Unfortunately the original Giger designs which Ridley had to persuade reluctant investors to accept have been "Hollywoodised", endlessly recycled and the mystery has gone.

The newborn, cone head and albino designs all look like B movie rejects. The engineers were an exception with real potential but so far no hints in the publicity. A shame Giger seemed to be sidelined from the franchise at least until Prometheus, where Scott brought back something of the original's visual power.

bazsa73
12-27-2016, 08:29 AM
A strong point was that we never really got a close look at the Heptapods, a similar approach to the first Alien film. Unfortunately the original Giger designs which Ridley had to persuade reluctant investors to accept have been "Hollywoodised", endlessly recycled and the mystery has gone.

The newborn, cone head and albino designs all look like B movie rejects. The engineers were an exception with real potential but so far no hints in the publicity. A shame Giger seemed to be sidelined from the franchise at least until Prometheus, where Scott brought back something of the original's visual power.
Quite. All these sequels and prequels take off the edge of suspense. All in all I liked Prometheus more than Alien4 (by Jean Pierr Jeunet)
The space jockeys and the hideous goo were good ideas. Whatever.

tyrot
12-27-2016, 04:50 PM
Huh...that trailer did nothing for me, neither cinematographic or soundwise or horror wise, looked quite crappy somehow...dissapointing, letīs hope they release another trailer and see what that gives.
And letīs hope for a good story, though the scenes in here just is repeating old patterns to death.

Michael

totally agree

erikals
12-27-2016, 05:52 PM
guess i'll see it, but it looks > meh..!

and what happened to good trailers, is it really that hard??...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8

prometheus
12-27-2016, 06:17 PM

Guess a problem may be that itīs so milked out today, no mystery anymore maybe..not sure if Any story can produce Any movie of chills or fear or reaching a landmark in this franchise, no matter how you deal with it ..no matter what direction it takes.

this fan made trailer of aliens is almost a masterpiece, but adapted to the prometheus sound...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_w6pw73a7A

prometheus
12-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Just took some more looks at the looks of Emma Waterstone, in some pics where she seem to be molded in to a very look a like of Ellen Ripley in Aliens with almost the same shirt and some kind of strap that may hold a gun or something, just as ripley did, the haircut is similar, and by default look of Emma, she got those dark deep eyes ..almost black as Sigourney Weaver.

Not sure if itīs some kind of obsession Ridley have on the stereotype of women, probably it is...if it also is some kind of safe card playing trying to please the audience expectation of having a similar heroine..who knows? itīs just to obvious and frankly silly in my eyes to do anything for the movie.

I guess we have o see more before judging, it could actually be a good movie inspite of what we have seen yet, but it feels we are fed with the same repeating "this worked" and letīs think what the audience wantīs and not what they themself challenges theirself to do as artists, guess he may have been scared by trying to do that originality with prometheus and saw that wasnīt succesful..then just resignate to give what the audience may expect and thus stray away from the challenge and his own artistic originality.

That said...we need to see more than already shown, this initial trailer didnīt was just not that exciting for me anyway.
I would like to see an actor so deep in the movie that you can feel the horror, just as ripley was in aliens ..and rightfully oscar nominated for it, maybe some really intense reactions like Samantha Morton screaming and crying in the minority report scene when John Anderton is taking the shot and kills a man, that scene is just crazy how much fear she put in to that scene.

Edited.(from one thing to another) .Huhh, just read that Samantha Morton appearently had been sexually abused as a child, maybe she managed to invoke horror feelings from deep inside of her own emotions..thatīs what I am guessing, cause that scene in minority is one of the most great emotional horror depictions I have ever seen.

shrox
12-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Just took some more looks at the looks of Emma Waterstone, in some pics where she seem to be molded in to a very look a like of Ellen Ripley in Aliens with almost the same shirt and some kind of strap that may hold a gun or something, just as ripley did, the haircut is similar, and by default look of Emma, she got those dark deep eyes ..almost black as Sigourney Weaver.

Not sure if itīs some kind of obsession Ridley have on the stereotype of women, probably it is...if it also is some kind of safe card playing trying to please the audience expectation of having a similar heroine..who knows? itīs just to obvious and frankly silly in my eyes to do anything for the movie.

I guess we have o see more before judging, it could actually be a good movie inspite of what we have seen yet, but it feels we are fed with the same repeating "this worked" and letīs think what the audience wantīs and not what they themself challenges theirself to do as artists, guess he may have been scared by trying to do that originality with prometheus and saw that wasnīt succesful..then just resignate to give what the audience may expect and thus stray away from the challenge and his own artistic originality.

That said...we need to see more than already shown, this initial trailer didnīt was just not that exciting for me anyway.
I would like to see an actor so deep in the movie that you can feel the horror, just as ripley was in aliens ..and rightfully oscar nominated for it, maybe some really intense reactions like Samantha Morton screaming and crying in the minority report scene when John Anderton is taking the shot and kills a man, that scene is just crazy how much fear she put in to that scene.

Edited.(from one thing to another) .Huhh, just read that Samantha Morton appearently had been sexually abused as a child, maybe she managed to invoke horror feelings from deep inside of her own emotions..thatīs what I am guessing, cause that scene in minority is one of the most great emotional horror depictions I have ever seen.

I like Ripley Grrrls.

djwaterman
12-27-2016, 09:53 PM
"There was a boy, a very strange enchanted boy..." What the hell?

jeric_synergy
12-27-2016, 11:45 PM
"Nature Boy", covered by many people.

"Nature Boy" is a song first recorded by American jazz singer Nat King Cole. It was released on March 29, 1948, as a single by Capitol Records, and later appeared on the album, The Nat King Cole Story. The song was written in 1947 by eden ahbez and is partly autobiographical. It is a tribute to ahbez's mentor Bill Pester, who had originally introduced him to Naturmensch and Lebensreform philosophies, which ahbez practised. When Cole was performing in 1947 at the Lincoln Theater, ahbez wanted to present the song to him, but was ignored. He left the copy with Cole's valet, and from him the singer came to know of "Nature Boy". After receiving appreciation for his performance of the song, Cole wanted to record it.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure what those German philosophies are, but.... German philosophies make me nervous.

bazsa73
12-28-2016, 12:20 PM
"Nature Boy", covered by many people.

"Nature Boy" is a song first recorded by American jazz singer Nat King Cole. It was released on March 29, 1948, as a single by Capitol Records, and later appeared on the album, The Nat King Cole Story. The song was written in 1947 by eden ahbez and is partly autobiographical. It is a tribute to ahbez's mentor Bill Pester, who had originally introduced him to Naturmensch and Lebensreform philosophies, which ahbez practised. When Cole was performing in 1947 at the Lincoln Theater, ahbez wanted to present the song to him, but was ignored. He left the copy with Cole's valet, and from him the singer came to know of "Nature Boy". After receiving appreciation for his performance of the song, Cole wanted to record it.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure what those German philosophies are, but.... German philosophies make me nervous.
Those guys were early hippies if you like. Probably you refer to Nietzsche who lived before the Nazis and talked a lot about the arrival of the New Man, but definitely not
the ones the Nazis have dreamed of. Nietzsche pretty much hated his fellow germans and he expressed this idea several times in his writing, he said, the last nation who would
understand me are the germans. Which became a truth because the nazis later shamelessly exploited his philosophies and used his thoughts for infernal deeds.

djwaterman
12-28-2016, 07:46 PM
I'm quite aware of the song and who made it famous, it's just a stupid pretentious choice.

ActionBob
12-29-2016, 09:00 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8

I think the reason we don't get good trailers anymore is due to the ADD, Youtube generation where everybody has to now everything about anything beforehand. This old Alien trailer is interesting, powerful and scary in my opinion. It evokes a sense of dread and fear without any dialogue. I also feel that the industry is to blame as well. It seems to me that trailers in the past relied much more on EXISTING footage from a film because a lot more was complete before releasing a trailer. These days, you will often see things thrown together (scenes that aren't even in the finished product) just to generate marketing hype for films. The money machine needs to keep people interested and constantly abuzz with new details and scenes otherwise they quickly move onto something else to talk about. In order to feed that need, much to much is revealed. Just look at the trailer for the last Terminator. The trailer left nothing to the imagination (not that it was that great of a movie, but hey, I am a fan). I remember watching the trailer with my girlfriend and after it was over, we turned to each other and said, "what the hell did they show all that for?"

-Adrian

erikals
12-29-2016, 09:20 AM
wouldn't blame that on ADD. i actually have ADD, and conclude, if you knew everything about anything beforehand, you'd know you wouldn't always want to.

yes, trailers today is made solely to make you go watch the movie. the trade-off is that the trailer reveals the whole cha-bang.

ActionBob
12-29-2016, 11:26 AM
wouldn't blame that on ADD. i actually have ADD, and conclude, if you knew everything about anything beforehand, you'd know you wouldn't always want to.

yes, trailers today is made solely to make you go watch the movie. the trade-off is that the trailer reveals the whole cha-bang.

My apologies.. I used a real and definable problem incorrectly to make a point poorly. I too have suffered from issues related to concentration and memory and found I suffer from both obstructive and severe centralized sleep apnea. However, now that I am undergoing treatment, things are better.

I shouldn't mock... I have issues too! lol...

-Adrian

erikals
12-29-2016, 11:32 AM
i guess no one gets put on this globe without a challenge or two   :)

erikals
12-29-2016, 07:24 PM
well, buckle your seat belts...

Covenant has a Hard R rating
http://movieweb.com/alien-covenant-r-rating-ridley-scott

spherical
12-29-2016, 08:38 PM
The thing most often overlooked when comparing trailers and film sequels that they are about, and how the later ones just don't measure up to the first, is that with the first you had no idea what was coming or even what was what. From then on, you do, and it is really difficult to achieve that level of suspense, surprise and shock above and beyond that original threshold. In a good original, the bar is set pretty high. In rare instances, sequels have surpassed the first. Doesn't happen often.

shrox
12-29-2016, 08:49 PM
Superman:The Movie had a field of wheat for it's first trailers.

jeric_synergy
12-29-2016, 09:08 PM
The original "ALIEN" trailer had nothing to do with the movie: just the iconic chicken-egg and laser.

prometheus
12-30-2016, 02:29 AM
I think I read that Ridley Scott is to try being extreme this time, even worse than the chestburster scene in aline which he thought could have been to extreme the first time..but we have seen so much since then, and especially with stuff like this, not sure what he could mustard up to be even worse, except maybe putting children in the scene getting their heads exploded by alien jaws..that would be extreme to the point of too extreme for probably everyones taste, it would upset us to a point that we just would be left with disgust...it would introduce something more real, that is that horror and monsters donīt go by in a gentle way, not in the real world..and it would make the horror more real and getting too upclose...
But I didnīt even like the story and the scene in alien 3 when bad things happened to Newt, even though we only saw her in a drowned state.

Otherwise there is very little you can do today I think in terms of horror and alien manifestations, creature bursting out of chest, head, spine, crawling out of mouths or exploding or melting heads, we have seen the most in terms of huge unexpected chockers..and the subtle we donīt see it ..darkness and strobe light and supsense is also probably not working as it should nowadays ..if you have seen something from the previous movies that is.

Maybe the most scary trailer they can do..it would be just a camera sweeping through dark space...without sound, then tiny hardly readable white text emerges in bits saying instead of "in space no one can hear you scream" you would get a text saying.."mother says every movie is like a box of chocolets, you never know what youré gonna get"

MichaelT
12-30-2016, 02:29 AM

About effing time I would say... I would very much prefer to watch a movie as the director wants to make it. Over one that is held back because of a misguided belief, that lowering the age rating to increase the money income is actually a good thing. Somehow I think we have Deadpool to thank for this.

bazsa73
12-30-2016, 05:35 AM
Whatever he does the first train of terror has gone, all these remakes/sequels and prequels are re-heated versions of the original theme, and
the only thing which is good reheated are stuffed cabbage rolls.

erikals
12-30-2016, 07:31 AM
Maybe the most scary trailer they can do..it would be just a camera sweeping through dark space...without sound, then tiny hardly readable white text emerges in bits saying instead of "in space no one can hear you scream" you would get a text saying.."mother says every movie is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get"
you know, through in some flashes of video clips, and i'd be fine with that...

About effing time I would say..
+5

Whatever he does the first train of terror has gone
they should hire 50+ people just to throw out original ideas for the script

ActionBob
12-30-2016, 08:16 AM

I am already more hopeful for it. This bodes well for a directors vision vs softening up the content for a wider paying demographic.

The trailer still doesn't have me giddy, but I will see it as I am a fan of the universe.

-Adrian

bobakabob
12-30-2016, 09:53 AM
IMHO the Prometheus trailer is a masterpiece. The sound design and pacing has been much copied. Shame the film didn't match up but it's cool Ridley's working on the franchise as the visuals at least will be good.