PDA

View Full Version : Tiled Cylinderwrap?

khull
12-24-2016, 07:37 PM
I'm modeling a classic space station, the type that is round, and rotates to create artificial gravity. I wanted to do a cylinder wrap, but tiled around the circumference. It looks like I can only tile the height of the disk, not the circumference. Am I missing something? Is there a way around this (other than creating a really looong image to map). I'm using version 10.1.

ernpchan
12-24-2016, 09:24 PM
You could uv unwrap the part and then stretch out the uv map in the uv window.

spherical
12-24-2016, 10:09 PM
Do you mean the height (thickness) of the *cylinder* (not "disk")? Actually it's a torus, if I understand the type of station you are building. The amount of repetitions around is governed by the Width Wrap Amount... or I'm not fully grokking the actual situation. Screen shot or model would help the latter.

khull
12-24-2016, 10:42 PM
spherical,
It's just the outer surface I'm trying to tile. The sides of the station have their own surfaces. I probably should have said cylinder, not disk. Well, actuall, I made a cross-section and lathed that into a space station. I want the outer circumference to be made up of many panels. The sides will have their own separate textures.
ernpchan,
I'm not that experienced with UV mapping. I thought it was mainly for irregular shape. I played around a little adjusting UV parameters, but didn't do what I wanted. No, I didn't actually make a UV map. Not quite sure what you meant. Are you saying that with a UV map, you could somehow tile around the circumference?

P.S. -- I understand that I could just create an image with the panel patten repeated about 50 times, and wrap that around the circumference. Just thought there should be a way to tile it, letting Lightwave handle the repetition.

jeric_synergy
12-24-2016, 11:15 PM
khull, you may have missed the forest for the tree: just use Cylindrical mapping, or multiple Cylindrical maps, on the 'floor'.

Vie so:

You could use multiple maps that are essentially the same (with some alpha magic) to offset the rows of tiles.

And to anticipate:

I'm calling the outer circumference the 'floor', did you mean the 'walls'? In that case, UV's ARE the way to go. However, if you BENT your station into it's final shape, or made a morph that did the same, you could use simple planar mapping on a straight square tube. Then bend it into shape. You would get some convergence nearer the center, of course.

++++
Got nothin' else to do, so!: Selected one 'wall' of my square toroid, hid the rest, made a blank UV map named 'Sidewall', and used UV SPIDER to create a UV map. Here's the result:

Piece of cake! Nice and linear. So you'ld paint on a copy of this UV map, you might shrink it vertically to better represent the aspect ratio of the polygons, but you're good to go here. Very easy.

You could uv unwrap the part and then stretch out the uv map in the uv window.
ernpchan, see what a nice job UV Spider did? :D
++++++++++++++++++++
QUESTION: what would be the easiest way to place/stack all the polys in that last image on top of each other, so that tiling would be easy-peasy? There's 48 here, but if there were hundreds, it'd be better if there were a 'power tool'.

khull
12-24-2016, 11:43 PM
jeric_synergy ,
Thank you so much!
Indeed, I did not see the forest for the trees. I just had to use the y axis.

spherical
12-25-2016, 03:08 PM
Do note that Jeric's Width Wrap Amount that I cited above is set to 48.

khull
12-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Noted. And a value around 48 works very well for what I'm doing.
Also, I now see that the cylinder does't need to be aligned with the Y axis. My confusion was mostly due to the opengl implementation not showing how things would render.
Thanks everyone for your help.

jeric_synergy
12-26-2016, 11:07 AM
Khull, user Jon K Bękkelund on FB came up with a way to nodally rotate each band around the axis. His network is not fully generalized, you have to note some #s, but it's 90% of the way there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/?fref=nf

THere's a pic of the network at that link-- I don't think I should just snag it w/o his permission.

+++++++++++++

My confusion was mostly due to the opengl implementation not showing how things would render.
VPR is your friend here. Even it has some limitations, but FAR less than OpenGL.

For that reason, it's good to keep the bulk of your Surfacing time in Layout, rather than Modeler.

khull
12-26-2016, 06:44 PM
Thanks again. Initially I didn't see any point to VPR But this is a good example for using VPR.