PDA

View Full Version : reduce Poly count to quads?

Rhothgar
12-23-2016, 06:12 AM
Is there a way to reduce poly's from quads to quads not tris? without having to retopologize manually?

bobakabob
12-23-2016, 06:33 AM
Auto retopo in Z Brush or 3d Coat will do this, though not ideal if for character animation. In LW you can use the Tris to Quads tool ( can't remember exact name but look in reduce polys) but you may be stuck with some tris. You can find them by hitting w and checking the stats. Hitting + will select them. It's sometimes v difficult to avoid tris depending on your mesh. You may need to do this manually.

prometheus
12-23-2016, 07:12 AM
why not use merge trigons? or if you have a uv map as well and want that intact, use merge trigonsX_UV
I think You should use plgs simplify mesh to reduce polys with the uv intact though, the result will stil be just trigons though..but reduced, then use merge trigonsx_uv to get it all quads and maintaining the uv.

I donīt have the links here, but the plugins are free and you would have to search for them.

jeric_synergy
12-23-2016, 10:21 AM
Is there a way to reduce poly's from quads to quads not tris? without having to retopologize manually?

There IS some magical way, it's in the BASIC THINGS thread, but IIRC it goes something like "Catmull/Clark subdivision-->>freeze at level zero" or something like that. It's amazing.

Rhothgar
12-23-2016, 04:51 PM
okay thanks guys. I will look into those things. By the way I did use Zbrush remesher but it gave me some not so desired results. The model shape was changed too much for my liking.
thanks for the help!

jwiede
12-23-2016, 09:41 PM
Are you looking for something like Qemloss (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/qemloss3/)? IIRC, a prior version is integrated into LW, but Qemloss 3 (http://web.archive.org/web/20150730060304/http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/qemloss3.html#Installation) gives significantly better results.

(second link above is to wayback machine where downloads still are available --v9 x86/x64, MacUB & Mac64, IIRC most still work)

tburbage
12-23-2016, 10:40 PM
You can try Construct > Reduce Polys. Try setting Colinear Point Removal to High or Max, and retry with different angle thresholds. AFAIK, Reduce Polys+ (QEMM2) always outputs triangles, and from what I can see, not in an orderly way which would let you reconstruct them as quads using Merge Triangles: really just a decimation.

jeric_synergy
12-24-2016, 12:35 AM
You could reduce to tris, subpatch in CC, freeze to quads.

Rhothgar
12-24-2016, 08:47 AM
why not use merge trigons? or if you have a uv map as well and want that intact, use merge trigonsX_UV
I think You should use plgs simplify mesh to reduce polys with the uv intact though, the result will stil be just trigons though..but reduced, then use merge trigonsx_uv to get it all quads and maintaining the uv.

I donīt have the links here, but the plugins are free and you would have to search for them.

This worked reasonably well. Still have some tris but I think I can work with it. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone else for your help too!

tburbage
12-24-2016, 10:51 AM
You can try Construct > Reduce Polys. Try setting Colinear Point Removal to High or Max, and retry with different angle thresholds. AFAIK, Reduce Polys+ (QEMM2) always outputs triangles, and from what I can see, not in an orderly way which would let you reconstruct them as quads using Merge Triangles: really just a decimation.
That being said, I have yet to get useful results from Reduce Polys on anything but simple, orderly meshes. Haven't tried the plg tool. I look to other apps for this kind of need...

jeric_synergy
12-24-2016, 11:01 AM
If someone would post a representative mesh, we could crowd-test various approaches.

jwiede
12-24-2016, 02:47 PM

Qemloss 3 has options to use UVs, weight maps, even morphs to allow much finer control of where reduction occurs (that's the V3 benefit over V2 aka "ReducePolys+"). It's still tri-based output, but there are a good methods to get back to quads already posted in this thread.

If you have MODO 10(.2), you should definitely give MODO's automated retopo operator a try.