PDA

View Full Version : LW9.6 and Zbrush Question RE UVS

Rhothgar
12-22-2016, 06:37 AM
Hi, I'm using LW9.6 so I don't have the goz option. Using Zbrush 4.7

I'm going through an old document "LightWave ZPipline Guide" by Steve Warner I believe. I think it is also called "there and back again" or something similar worked into the title.

Anyway. I am searching for the "Zwave" plug in he talked about, used for applying your Zbrush generated UVs to apply to your Lightwave Model.

The link seems to be broken. Or the site doesn't exist anymore

I'm just having too many problems trying to use my existing UVs in Zbrush so I decided to just generate them in Zbrush.

Does anyone have the plugin they can share with me? Is there another way?
I have an object that already has weight maps and morphs etc so I don't want to lose all that otherwise I would just import my obj from zbrush and go from there.... next time I guess.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Note to self....time to upgrade..

hrgiger
12-22-2016, 07:32 AM
I don't know if this will work as I haven't tried it but make a duplicate of your object (preserving the original), send the dup to zbrush, make your UVs, export the obj, then open it in LW along with your original LW model and try copying the UV map from the zbrush object to the UV map of your original LW model. I'm away from my pc at the moment, otherwise I would have tested first to see if that would work. You may have to cut and paste the zb obj into a layer of your original object possibly to work.

Surrealist.
12-22-2016, 08:58 AM
I dust did it. Export the model from LW to OBJ. Make the UV in Zbrush and Export, OBJ, Load into Modeler. In UV window, select polygons, Map Tab/UV Texture, More, Copy UVs. Go to your model, create a new UV, simple. Planar map will do. Select polys, Map Tab/UV Texture, More, Paste UVs. In my case it left a bunch of points for the original map. Not sure why that is. But I can move the plolys around separately. Does not seem to affect the map. Rendered fine.

Also just to check it, I moved the polys to the side to test it. Point select mode all of the stray points and Clear Map. Move the polys back. If you painted already that might not work. But in any case those points don't seem to affect anything.

Rhothgar
12-22-2016, 09:38 AM
hmm. okay thanks guys I'll give those things a try.

tburbage
12-23-2016, 09:57 PM
I dust did it. Export the model from LW to OBJ. Make the UV in Zbrush and Export, OBJ, Load into Modeler. In UV window, select polygons, Map Tab/UV Texture, More, Copy UVs. Go to your model, create a new UV, simple. Planar map will do. Select polys, Map Tab/UV Texture, More, Paste UVs. In my case it left a bunch of points for the original map. Not sure why that is. But I can move the plolys around separately. Does not seem to affect the map. Rendered fine.

Also just to check it, I moved the polys to the side to test it. Point select mode all of the stray points and Clear Map. Move the polys back. If you painted already that might not work. But in any case those points don't seem to affect anything.

Those "phantom" left-over coordinates can be removed manually by selecting them in the UV view and using Clear (map) on them. But as I recall, if you unweld and re-merge the model (not the UVs), they will disappear.

Surrealist.
12-25-2016, 02:10 AM
Those "phantom" left-over coordinates can be removed manually by selecting them in the UV view and using Clear (map) on them. But as I recall, if you unweld and re-merge the model (not the UVs), they will disappear.

?

By the way on my test it was just one island and the cut and paste method did not seem to work.

Anyways seems you can copy the UVs from one model to another on my test so that would solve the issue.