PDA

View Full Version : Where is the "Spherize" button in LW 2015?

wingzeta
12-20-2016, 01:53 PM
I may be missing something, but I can't find the Spherize button that used to be under the Modify tab/ Transform / More... In LW 2015.3 Modeler. Was this function removed, replaced with a better tool, or just hidden in a new place?

I opened up 11.6 and it is still there.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

djwaterman
12-20-2016, 03:57 PM
It was replaced with something else but I can't remember right now, there is this plugin if you can't find it. https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/mf-circlify/

djwaterman
12-20-2016, 04:03 PM
Or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou2OzwO0zWU

MonroePoteet
12-20-2016, 04:54 PM
Thankfully, LW never totally removes much of anything, if anything. If they replace it with something "better" (more functional?), they leave the original tool available even if it's not in the menus.

In LW2015.3 the original Spherize is under Modify=>Transform=>More...

FYI, when I "lose" a function, I use Edit=>Edit Menu Layout... and type the name into the upper-left search box, then use Find to locate it in the menus.

mTp

wingzeta
12-20-2016, 05:15 PM
Thankfully, LW never totally removes much of anything, if anything. If they replace it with something "better" (more functional?), they leave the original tool available even if it's not in the menus.

In LW2015.3 the original Spherize is under Modify=>Transform=>More...

FYI, when I "lose" a function, I use Edit=>Edit Menu Layout... and type the name into the upper-left search box, then use Find to locate it in the menus.

mTp

That was the first thing I tried, and it didn't show up in the search.

MonroePoteet
12-20-2016, 05:25 PM
Huh. Interesting. According to the Utilities=>Edit Plugins... tree (organized by File), the "Spherize" plug-in is contained in the file:

C:\Program Files\NewTek\Lightwave 2015.3\support\plugins\legacy\Spherize.p

You might be able to reload it by using Utilities=>Add Plugins... and navigating to that file.

mTp

wingzeta
12-20-2016, 05:40 PM
Huh. Interesting. According to the Utilities=>Edit Plugins... tree (organized by File), the "Spherize" plug-in is contained in the file:

C:\Program Files\NewTek\Lightwave 2015.3\support\plugins\legacy\Spherize.p

You might be able to reload it by using Utilities=>Add Plugins... and navigating to that file.

mTp

So they buried it in the legacy plugins! Thanks for finding that! At least it can be reloaded, but now I am curious what, if anything has replaced it?

jeric_synergy
12-20-2016, 05:42 PM
..... but now I am curious what, if anything has replaced it?
Good question.

wingzeta
12-20-2016, 06:04 PM
Just loaded the spherize plugin, and used to to make a quadsphere. It's still the easiest way I know of, to make one. Freezing subpatches doesn't make the box totally round, but I'm sure someone has a better method.

jeric_synergy
12-20-2016, 06:16 PM
IIRC ernpchan (?) has a script to make quadspheres.... but maybe it just uses spherize.p.....

Might be some other author.

wingzeta
12-20-2016, 06:25 PM
IIRC ernpchan (?) has a script to make quadspheres.... but maybe it just uses spherize.p.....

Might be some other author.

On his website, it said the script used spherize, so it may be broken if you don't have the plugin loaded.

jeric_synergy
12-20-2016, 07:31 PM
Well, there ya go.

It really should be a native primitive, it's pretty useful as a starting point.

Removing SPHERIZE never made any sense to me. Instead, they should have improved it.

Ztreem
12-20-2016, 08:04 PM
You can also use heatshrink for this.

jeric_synergy
12-20-2016, 08:31 PM
iain_r created a script that will take ANY mesh, and scriptify/primitivize it. It's not real fast and the primitive is always the same size, but it is a way to get a quadsphere primitive, of a specific division level, into one button.

So, quadspheres, Thorntagons, and monkeyheads can be yours at the push of a button.

wingzeta
12-21-2016, 03:55 PM
You can also use heatshrink for this.

Would that involve creating a cube and heatshrinking it around a sphere, or is there a shortcut? Creating a box with desired segments, and hitting spherize button would still seem to be quicker. But, you may be right in that heatshrink, may have been the reason they felt spherize was a redundant tool.

jwiede
12-26-2016, 08:13 PM
Would that involve creating a cube and heatshrinking it around a sphere, or is there a shortcut? Creating a box with desired segments, and hitting spherize button would still seem to be quicker. But, you may be right in that heatshrink, may have been the reason they felt spherize was a redundant tool.

Maybe, but using Heatshrink still seems to consume a bunch more "undo slots" than using Spherize to do the same, and more overall steps for user, so I'm not sure I'd qualify Heatshrink as an efficient "replacement" for Spherize.

Was there actually a more efficient replacement?

jeric_synergy
12-26-2016, 08:54 PM
Was there actually a more efficient replacement?
Beats me. I was never quite certain how Spherize worked (not that it matters much): does it pick the centroid of the selected points, and move the points out along a vector from that point to the point in question, all to a normalized length, or what?

IOW, what exactly is it doing? --It's great for making quadspheres though! (Which SHOULD be a primitive....)

ernpchan
12-26-2016, 11:14 PM
--It's great for making quadspheres though! (Which SHOULD be a primitive....)

Yeah my quadsphere script is dependent on Spherize. Not sure why they chose to deprecate it.

jeric_synergy
12-26-2016, 11:30 PM
Yeah my quadsphere script is dependent on Spherize. Not sure why they chose to deprecate it.
It'd be nice if an actual "Quadsphere" script, that doesn't use Spherize (best to get out now while we can), with appropriate controls/parameters existed. I guess those would just be divisions and radius. Maybe "New Surface". OOOooo, OoOOOO, UV creation!!!! (It makes me crazy that you have to use an existing UV map with all (?) of the tools that will assign them, e.g. "Lathe". Grrrrrr.)

Not for me: for the children. ;)