PDA

View Full Version : Doing a fresh install?

Chrysolithos
12-15-2003, 09:52 PM
When doing a fresh install is there any components I want to leave out of the computer (Like the VT board itself)? I remember somthing about not leaving dongles attatched during os installs...

I am trying to follow the checklist I found here.
and step one is install Win2000 from cd rom and format the c drive, but the install program won't do that. (Maybe it cause I'm using a dvd-rom/cd rom drive and I have to boot from the cd rom itself??) Bios boot settings???

#2 install Intel INF updates. (I have the latest and will do it once I get past step 1.

#3 Install all the windoze update patches from usoft except for internet explorer 6. (Do I have to be online to do this?)

#4 Install Direct X 8.0 or above. (Just got 9.0b)

#5 Install graphics card driver (NVidia G4Ti4200)

#6 Install Video Toaster Build 3480i (Will build #4536 be ok?)

#7 Perform the backup steps recommended by Richard Bartlett
(I did a search of this forum by that name and did not get any results. If anybody could point me in the right direction it would be swell. )

Is there anything else I need to be aware of. Other than CD packet writing software.
Thanks again

Jim_C
12-15-2003, 10:25 PM
IMO it's better to unplug and remove everything at fresh install.
T3 card, any usb devices, scanners etc.
Do windows install and updates. Grab service pack 1 first.
Then plug in each device one at a time to install, and even if the machine doesnt ask you to, reboot after each install of software, drivers or hardware.

You seem to be on the right track and should have no problems with the steps you listed.

its easier than you think.

good luck

Jim

mgrusin
12-16-2003, 12:46 PM
What Jim said. Also:

#1 - You do need to boot from the CD drive to do this, look in your BIOS for "boot order" or something similar and move the CD drive before the hard drive. Once the Windows CD boots, it will walk you through the format and install steps.

NOTE that this will obviously delete all of the information on the hard disk, so be extra sure to backup any files you want to save!

#3 - First install the latest service pack (you don't need all of them, each one includes the previous updates). You can get this online through Windows Update, or download it separately.

Then use Windows Update to get any fiddly little security patches released since the last service pack (installing the latest IE won't hurt you, it just takes a while). If this computer isn't/won't be online, you can probably skip this second step, but at least install the latest service pack.

#6 - Use the latest Toaster CDs you have, and after doing the full install and registration, download and install the latest patch. (You should only need the latest patch, but check Newtek's installation instructions to be sure).

#7 - The optional backup step... Once you finally have VT running smoothly, you'll understand that it was a lot of work getting here. :p Many people take this opportunity to back up their finished Windows/VT installation, in case that they accidentally screw it up in the future (you won't have to re-do all the above steps or worry about editing the registry, just copy the backup into place). The easiest way to do this is with a program called Norton Ghost. PartitionMagic can also do it, but it's a bit more work (you need to create a second partition, copy the first one onto it, and hide the second one). Again this is optional, but if you need to do #1-#6 more than a few times you'll probably start doing #7. ;)

Good luck, ask questions. -MG.

Chrysolithos
12-17-2003, 12:26 AM
VT users totaly Rule!! Thank you so much for your help!!!
I managed to delete my C: partition by making a four floppy boot set and booting from that. After that I just followed the above instructions for the most part. My hardware lock id has changed by one letter (N instead of M) but thats enough to screw up the registration, but most importantly the damn thing actually seems to be working.
So what ever happened to Chuck Baker? Is he still lurking the halls of Newtek.

Thanks again.

Chuck
12-17-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Chrysolithos
So what ever happened to Chuck Backer? Is he still lurking the halls of Newtek?

Chuck who? ;)

Hey, Chris McDonell! How ya doin? :)

mgrusin
12-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Well done, Chris! There should be a merit badge or something for doing all that...

"Time Code is an elfin ghost that lives in your skull"
"I'm surrounded by idiots of my own design" - Joel :D

Chrysolithos
12-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Merit badge? Not for me, but definitely for everybody here in the forum who helps out others with their suggestions and tips.

Hey, when I saw the Toaster 3.O window popup, and played around with some of the cool things it does. THAT was plenty reward. Talk about a cool intuitive design. I don't mean to slam speed razor or anything (esp since I didn't really know how to use it), but there wasn't any fun-factor in the layout. Toaster 3.o is way funtoriffic. (And thats with just two 8 gig scsi's clocking in at 30 Mbs.) Guess the next thing I'll be ordering is 4 74.3 gig 10krpmSCSIs. There is a place here that will sell them 389.99 each. Then I gonna try to finish some projects in lightwave before 8 comes out. Then I'll probably start assembling a real home for my toaster. Something wit dual freon proccessors and a terrbyte of storage perhaps...

Hi Chuck. I thought I had my spel khecker turned on, but I guess not. Somebody mentiond that the best way to put a new computer together was to assemble the bare minumum and then start adding cards (Always worked good when I was putting together Amiga Toaster or Flyer systems) But I found out that it doesn't necessarily hold true for pcs. My current system which I got for Toaster 1.0 never got off the ground till now because I couldn't get either the SCSI card to install or the audio card to install. But when I put them in the computer BEFORE I installed windoze 2k, they installed just fine. (of course by the time I had figured this out, the specs for the toaster had gone way past my pokey p4 1.7 GHz) But at least it gives me a chance to see what I'm missing.

So Chuck Baker, what is the meaning of your avitar pic? A small green light on a short pole in the street? And I'm doing fine, thanks for asking. ^_^ I'm still fixing medical equipment during the day and futzing with video and animation at night.:p

Chuck
12-18-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Chrysolithos
So Chuck Baker, what is the meaning of your avitar pic? A small green light on a short pole in the street? And I'm doing fine, thanks for asking. ^_^ I'm still fixing medical equipment during the day and futzing with video and animation at night.:p

Hi, Chris!

That's a snippet out of a scene I did goofing around in LW; I'd modeled a booth NewTek used to have, and added a bit of signage from an imaginary nearby booth.

Here's a small pic of the scene...it originally had a red flare on the figure, but a year or so back there was a joke on CGTalk about a "green disease" spreading among the avatars, so I did a render with a green flare.

Chrysolithos
12-18-2003, 09:10 PM
Ohhhh... I get it now.:confused: I am using a llama as my avatar 'cause I once played a sentient llama in a SF roleplaying game known as Albedo. (see attatched pic) I called the 800 number today and got a new license key for my totaly awesome Toaster. I'm gonna go list the parts to my system (in the appropriate thread)and then go play with it some more. :D