PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Fluids and Learning Blender

stevegraymusic
12-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Lightwave excels in many areas but character animation and fluid simulation are two areas it struggles to compete. The blob-like water had me really frustrated this weekend and I'm exhausted from learning so many different programs in order to complete one project. I found out how many folks rave about Blender's fluid sim but I wasn't looking forward to learning Blender on top of all of the other programs I've had to learn. BUT!!!...Blender is kind of awesome and the learning curve is not that bad. I had a respectable looking fluid sim going in under an hour the first day. Not to take anything away from LW but Newtek seems to approach their code with a way more technical bent and not from an artist user friendly perspective. I'm not posting to bash LW because it's awesome as well but Blender is worth learning and having in your arsenal.

jeric_synergy
12-19-2016, 12:02 PM
:thumbsup:

erikals
12-19-2016, 05:03 PM
see what you mean...

however Blender has it's limitations, but also had some great advancements lately.
personally no fan of Fluids in Blender, they developed it 10 years ago and it never improved alot.
personally no fan of Modeling in Blender either, there are improvements though.

i believe one day we'll all have Blender installed as an additional option, but for now the VFX part in Blender is lagging a bit for some Hi-end use.

i wouldn't be shocked by people choosing Blender over LightWave in general though. it has...

Smoke - Check!
WaterFluids - Check!
Sculpting - Check!
... i could go on and on

roboman
12-19-2016, 07:58 PM
It is kind of shocking the things Blender has that Lightwave doesn't. Blender is free and open source. Seems kind of odd that Blender would have any thing that the Professional programs don't or that the Pro programs don't quickly add those things.

jeric_synergy
12-19-2016, 08:34 PM
The Blender Foundation books are really excellent. When I can check them out.

I'm pretty sure they keep getting stolen from my library.

erikals
12-19-2016, 08:37 PM
roboman:  yep, even with the Core crash LightWave development should've gotten further.

if you stick to LightWave instead of Blender it might very well be because of the workflow.

that said, LW still kicks in some areas, and luckily with additional 3rd Party tools it holds up.
3rd Powers - Advanced Placement - Turbulence - LWCAD - and the upcoming... Deep Rising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQtlR1sPfO4

stevegraymusic
12-21-2016, 10:25 AM
roboman:  yep, even with the Core crash LightWave development should've gotten further.

if you stick to LightWave instead of Blender it might very well be because of the workflow.

that said, LW still kicks in some areas, and luckily with additional 3rd Party tools it holds up.
3rd Powers - Advanced Placement - Turbulence - LWCAD - and the upcoming... Deep Rising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQtlR1sPfO4

Regarding Blender I'm just impressed with how fast I was able to grasp the workflow and make anything that looks like something. I don't have enough experience in Blender to assess it's limitations but the videos I've seen are pretty impressive. That Deep Rising plugin looks promising!

bazsa73
12-21-2016, 11:02 AM
I like Blender's smoke and fire but I had struggled with liquids.