PDA

View Full Version : WE need sketchup converters, Sketchup 8 models will no longer be available in warehou

prometheus
12-18-2016, 10:56 AM
Hmm, just noticed that from the 1 januari 2017, there will no longer be possible to download version 8 models unfortunately.
I do not know why they restrict it like that...I mean, there is a lot of models still made in those version and that can be provided, probably I would guess they are by this puching for more people to use the later versions.
Now that may pose a problem for me, I am still on google sketchup version 8, why? because that is the version I know that works with the lwo object saver plugin, later versions do not as I know of, and no good conversion tool exist.

So ..I am calling for the lw group or some good plugin maker to try and make something that works equally good, or better.
Now currently I am just using it as a hobby so not sure I would pay for such a plugin though..not more than donations anyway.

hereīs the message at the sketchup warehouse...

"Please Note: On January 1, 2017, SketchUp Version 8, and SketchUp Version 2013 file formats will no longer be available for download from 3D Warehouse."

One alternative would be if I could keep the sketchup 8 version and also being able to install the later versions, not sure if that is possible though, have to check If I can make installation on different folders so the installation of later versions donīt keep asking to remove the older ones?

I am using the version 8.0.3117 of sketchup and the lwo exporter, this is the working link to the exporter file I use, I do not think it will work on any version later than 8.0 though...

LWO Exporter Plugin for Google Sketchup
=======================================

Alex Young

7th April 2007

Version: 0.0.6)
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=89533&d=1288710765

And Here is some old threads covering other tricks with import and export..
Lightwave to Sketchup..
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?119720-PIPELINE-Lightwave-to-sketchup&highlight=sketchup+lwo+exporter

And Sketchup to Lightwave..
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?117678-PIPELINE-Sketchup-Lightwave&highlight=sketchup+lwo+exporter
Michael

Spinland
12-18-2016, 12:39 PM
I use 3D Browser (Windows only app, alas) which converts very nicely between skp and LWO for many different versions. There's also a Mac App Store app that handles skp for most versions but can't export to lwo but does dae and obj nicely (minus texture info).

prometheus
12-18-2016, 01:15 PM
I use 3D Browser (Windows only app, alas) which converts very nicely between skp and LWO for many different versions. There's also a Mac App Store app that handles skp for most versions but can't export to lwo but does dae and obj nicely (minus texture info).

Thanks for the tips.
3d browser costs?
mac app store..for mac and windows?
does it export out to correct scale?

the old exporter exports out to correct scale and with texture info.though you have to load the images manually.

Spinland
12-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Yes, 3D Browser costs. I think I paid around US$150 for a package that included that and Polygon Cruncher. Here's the website if you're interested in learning more about it:

http://www.mootools.com/plugins/us/

It was an investment for me because I'm starting to get calls to do skp work for a local home remodeling company and it lets me work in LWCAD and then export to skp.

The Mac App Store only carries apps for MacOS and iOS. The one I use (for quick skp operations that aren't worth firing up the Windows 10 box) I use the one called SKP Viewer 3D.

Hope that helps!

prometheus
12-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Yes, 3D Browser costs. I think I paid around US$150 for a package that included that and Polygon Cruncher. Here's the website if you're interested in learning more about it:

http://www.mootools.com/plugins/us/

It was an investment for me because I'm starting to get calls to do skp work for a local home remodeling company and it lets me work in LWCAD and then export to skp.

The Mac App Store only carries apps for MacOS and iOS. The one I use (for quick skp operations that aren't worth firing up the Windows 10 box) I use the one called SKP Viewer 3D.

Hope that helps!

Nope...unfortunately none of your suggestions would help out here..I am not on a mac, and ios I have no use of, and...
Itīs really out of the question with paying for 3d browser, I am not doing any payed work for it..and if I did or had plans to do so..I would consider buying the sketchup pro version which allows allows for commercial use and includes more export options.

You were talking about exporting to skp, isnīt it enough to just use 3ds export? ...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?119720-PIPELINE-Lightwave-to-sketchup&highlight=sketchup+lwo+exporter

Spinland
12-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the thread link. In my case US$150 is pocket change compared to what I get paid for doing work where exporting to skp is useful, and the Windows app is reliable and straightforward so that's the path I chose. YYMV. :)

spherical
12-18-2016, 04:12 PM
hereīs the message at the sketchup warehouse...

"Please Note: On January 1, 2017, SketchUp Version 8, and SketchUp Version 2013 file formats will no longer be available for download from 3D Warehouse."

Why am I not surprised....
IIRC, there was a person here working on a SketchUp importer. Mostly worked, except for a couple of natty issues that weren't show stoppers.

Here's the thread:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?150456-Sketchup-Models-Loader

IIRC II, I have two versions of SketchUp installed, but prefer to use v8, as it was more straightforward. Checking....

Ma3rk
12-19-2016, 08:58 AM
The current 3DBrowser for 3D Users (R 12.75) only lists at $69. I've never found a need for Poly Cruncher frankly.

http://www.mootools.com/plugins/us/commun/price.asp

JamesCurtis
12-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Picked up 3D Browser for 46.90 a few days ago during the holiday special. I love being able to convert the sketcup .skp files into LW files now. Great addition to my arsenal of tools! I figure I don't currently need Polygon Cruncher - but maybe someday I'll pick up on it too.

shrox
12-30-2016, 05:22 PM
Will they still have .dae format?

rustythe1
12-30-2016, 05:26 PM
all exporters will probably have to be paid for now as the free sketchup became sketchup make which is much more restricted than the original free one and to do any kind of commercial work you have to use the paid one, being able to export to other software would give you a way around that so the skp format is a little like max or maya, it will force you to use the paid version (I expect none of the plugin exporters will work with the free version for that reason) so that's also probably a reason they pulled 8 support as I think that was the last version that supported things like obj exp,
also like any other software there comes a time when the skp (or lwo, max) format itself will change beyond any backward or forward support (like what we will go through with LWnext undoubtedly.
so your only option from here is probably a paid for version or converter

rustythe1
12-30-2016, 05:29 PM

http://help.sketchup.com/en/content/sketchup-make-and-sketchup-pro
no, looks like no export of any format what so ever, in fact the free version seems to not be able to do anything but build a model by this feature matrix!

shrox
12-30-2016, 05:35 PM
Frak.

prometheus
12-30-2016, 06:30 PM
all exporters will probably have to be paid for now as the free sketchup became sketchup make which is much more restricted than the original free one and to do any kind of commercial work you have to use the paid one, being able to export to other software would give you a way around that so the skp format is a little like max or maya, it will force you to use the paid version (I expect none of the plugin exporters will work with the free version for that reason) so that's also probably a reason they pulled 8 support as I think that was the last version that supported things like obj exp,
also like any other software there comes a time when the skp (or lwo, max) format itself will change beyond any backward or forward support (like what we will go through with LWnext undoubtedly.
so your only option from here is probably a paid for version or converter

Gezz..what? is sketchup make more restricted than for instance sketchup 8 free version? what is the difference there?

I actually just tried to install sketchup make, but I got errors on the microsoft framework when installing, maybe a sign to give it a rest.

spherical
12-30-2016, 07:28 PM
http://help.sketchup.com/en/content/sketchup-make-and-sketchup-pro
no, looks like no export of any format what so ever, in fact the free version seems to not be able to do anything but build a model by this feature matrix!

I checked that page, and the sub-pages that various file format types lead to, and wonder how you came to this conclusion. Perhaps that there is nothing in the "Pro Only?" column for .dae, .dem, .ddf, .dwg, .dxf? I take it that unless it states "Pro Only", Make can do it.

EDIT: Just got a few extensions and, using Make 2014, exported an OBJ, then saved a SU v8 of the model, opened SU v8 and exported a LWO of it. Loads in Modeler perfectly.

jwiede
12-30-2016, 10:09 PM
Well, OTOH, SketchupPro2017 is actually quite nice. And once you have it, the annual maintenance to get new versions is just ~$120 (US, anyway) which is quite reasonable.

Trimble actually seems to care about deep, ongoing improvements as well. All the perf. and viewport work in 2017 demonstrate that (IMO, anyway). Google really let Sketchup languish, after the big initial burst of energy (pretty typical for Google). Trimble's actively investing in it, and I don't see it as unreasonable to encourage folks to move to more recent versions, and generate revenue, esp. considering how many versions have released since 8. Unlike Google, Trimble seems interested in making Sketchup successful, and that requires ongoing revenue growth.

prometheus
01-01-2017, 09:07 AM
Well, OTOH, SketchupPro2017 is actually quite nice. And once you have it, the annual maintenance to get new versions is just ~$120 (US, anyway) which is quite reasonable.

Trimble actually seems to care about deep, ongoing improvements as well. All the perf. and viewport work in 2017 demonstrate that (IMO, anyway). Google really let Sketchup languish, after the big initial burst of energy (pretty typical for Google). Trimble's actively investing in it, and I don't see it as unreasonable to encourage folks to move to more recent versions, and generate revenue, esp. considering how many versions have released since 8. Unlike Google, Trimble seems interested in making Sketchup successful, and that requires ongoing revenue growth.

Personally, when trimble took over, it went downhill for me and my options, they discarded the option to add a location map to v8, that used to work, they discarded direct model download directly to pen in sketchup, they now are discarding old models with before 2013 version dates to be downloaded, and if sketchup make is also restricted in terms of not allowing say collada export..that isnīt nice, and on top of that, I couldnīt get sketchup make to work since I got microsoft framework errors.

So only bad experience the latest years with it, if you look at it from hobbyist point of view.

Canīt really make any judgement wether trimble is doing a better job in developing sketchup as to what you say, it is what it is for me anyway..currently obnoxious.

prometheus
01-01-2017, 01:25 PM
Had some issues with microsoft frame network, while trying to install sketchup make 2017..
"Component Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (x86 and x64) has failed to install with the following error message:
"A failure occurred attempting to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2."

The following components were successfully installed:
- Visual C++ "14" Runtime Libraries (x64)

The following components failed to install:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (x86 and x64)

See the setup log file located at 'C:\Users\MI1~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD9A7B.tmp\ins tall.log' for more information."

I then downloaded the offline framework installer, and that almost solved it, at least I got it to install almost properly, but then running the sketchup program gave me this missing dll, so itīs probably some windows update install I reckon, I would be glad if I just could install that package though..

spherical
01-01-2017, 05:42 PM
I'd recommend uninstalling all of that, or access a restore point to roll-back to prior to installing any of this, then go get one or all of the earlier versions of SU. 2014 doesn't give any trouble here, at least as far as accessing files that are still available on 3D Warehouse and converting them. I don't use SU for anything else. Too dumb an application.

prometheus
01-01-2017, 08:50 PM
I'd recommend uninstalling all of that, or access a restore point to roll-back to prior to installing any of this, then go get one or all of the earlier versions of SU. 2014 doesn't give any trouble here, at least as far as accessing files that are still available on 3D Warehouse and converting them. I don't use SU for anything else. Too dumb an application.

Thanks for the advice spherical, and yes..I really just need the same features as in sketchup 8, except for that they now have stopped that version to get geolocation maps in to sketchup and now soon also limiting the type of version model download.
So if I can get hold of and get 2014 to work upon installation, I think that should be enough for now for hobby work and personal projects.

Do you by any chance know where to find archives to get hold of sketchup 2014, I thought they stopped providing download of that ..or havenīt they? If I donīt here from you...then I may start looking for it later.

spherical
01-02-2017, 01:09 AM
2016 and 2015 are available in both 32-bit and 64-bit: http://www.sketchup.com/download/all

2014 is still available, too: http://dl.trimble.com/sketchup/2014/en/SketchUpMake-2014-1-1282-61130-en.exe
Get it while you can.

prometheus
01-02-2017, 04:48 PM
2016 and 2015 are available in both 32-bit and 64-bit: http://www.sketchup.com/download/all

2014 is still available, too: http://dl.trimble.com/sketchup/2014/en/SketchUpMake-2014-1-1282-61130-en.exe
Get it while you can.

Thanks spherical, yep..the installation and running of 2014 worked at least, just got the problem with internet connectivity which so many seems to have, I have allowed it in my firewall, but it seems to be more to do than that, I do not use internet explorer..EVer..so that is a no no, just hope I can get it to work with firefox and chrome, but I will have to check what needs to be done to get that working, so geo locations and warehouse is still not working.

after it went trimble...all this stuff became more complex I think, I believe sketchup has been some of the hardest software to install for me lately.

prometheus
01-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Blah..this sucks, all kinds of explanations and tips from clearing internet explorer cache to allow firewall acess, tried all that, but nothing helps with the error of not getting geo locations without the prompt of no internet connection.

shrox
01-02-2017, 06:07 PM
Looks like they haven't done it yet, but collada is gone and replaced with stl

prometheus
01-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Looks like they haven't done it yet, but collada is gone and replaced with stl

I just asked about the issue I had with sketchup 2014 and no internet connection, since I didnīt like explorer ..I stopped used at version 8, I got a very fast reply from them within minutes, and they said, it doesnīt matter what browsers I use..sketchup will still use IE explorer for itsīextraction of maps, I suggested they should consider having it working with the other browsers as well if they can..but there you go, the reply I got suggested that I would need the latest IE explorer, but just before I got that figured out, I found out that I needed to check the Tlss protocols that were unchecked in IE 8 for some reason..and after I did that, It all started to work, so now I can download and extract maps, and use sandbox etc, and the warehouse download directly in to sketchup works as well.

What I noticed with sketchup 2014 is that it seems to have more export options than version 8, it has 3ds,fbx,obj, collada and some more....but I figure that will end after the time limit, since I reckon it utilizes the functions of sketchup pro for 30 days.

so now the issue of downloading files from warehouse and geolocations and from versions after 2013 is solved, and within 30 days I will know what else I have to do to get good exports to lightwave, the lwo export may not work ..I donīt think so, but havenīt tested.

spherical
01-02-2017, 11:04 PM
I found out that I needed to check the Tlss protocols that were unchecked in IE 8 for some reason..and after I did that, It all started to work, so now I can download and extract maps, and use sandbox etc, and the warehouse download directly in to sketchup works as well.

There ya go. :)

What I noticed with sketchup 2014 is that it seems to have more export options than version 8, it has 3ds,fbx,obj, collada and some more....but I figure that will end after the time limit, since I reckon it utilizes the functions of sketchup pro for 30 days.

The link I gave for 2014 is the Make version, not a Pro that would timeout, so I'd figure that it is limited right outta the gate. My 2014 has been installed since 8/2014 and all of the stuff I posted about above works.

within 30 days I will know what else I have to do to get good exports to lightwave, the lwo export may not work ..I donīt think so, but havenīt tested.

Just look for extensions that export OBJ, 3DS, LWO. The LWO exporter only works in 8 and lower. That's why I had to open a SKP of 2014 vintage in 2014 and downsave it to 8.

prometheus
01-02-2017, 11:20 PM
There ya go. :)

The link I gave for 2014 is the Make version, not a Pro that would timeout, so I'd figure that it is limited right outta the gate. My 2014 has been installed since 8/2014 and all of the stuff I posted about above works.

Just look for extensions that export OBJ, 3DS, LWO. The LWO exporter only works in 8 and lower. That's why I had to open a SKP of 2014 vintage in 2014 and downsave it to 8.

Odd...my sketchup 2014 make version has fbx export ..so if that isnīt timed out, that would be great since the fbx does a better job at keeping textures than the old lwo exporter...will see.

spherical
01-02-2017, 11:53 PM
In my aging 2014, I have:
3DS
DWG
DXF
DAE
FBX
IFC
KMZ
OBJ
WRL
XSI

Plus Zbyl's X and OBJ Exporter.
Plus LIPID OBJ Exporter.
Plus and STL Exporter that may be native.

Wish I could figure out why the LWO Exporter writes nothing from SU2014. No biggie, but it'd be great to do it in one go.

OjN
01-05-2017, 09:19 PM
Maybe this can help you.

I use blender with a skp (8-2016) importer: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?360406-Sketchup-(SKP)-importer

A japanese fbx exporter helps to a better export to Lw, bos fbx: https://sites.google.com/a/render.jp/blenderfbx/
by the way you need and old version of blender for this fbx exporter (277.1 works) because some python libraries...

I hope this helps :)

shrox
01-05-2017, 09:28 PM
So far they are still offering the lower version formats.

prometheus
01-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Maybe this can help you.

I use blender with a skp (8-2016) importer: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?360406-Sketchup-(SKP)-importer

A japanese fbx exporter helps to a better export to Lw, bos fbx: https://sites.google.com/a/render.jp/blenderfbx/
by the way you need and old version of blender for this fbx exporter (277.1 works) because some python libraries...

I hope this helps :)

I solved the issues with downloading the 2014 sketchup, since that exports to fbx that seems to be the best choice, where textures comes in at once, but always good with alternatives though I feel sketchup to blender to lightwave is a bit too messy considering we can go directly from sketchup to lightwave.