PDA

View Full Version : Load items from scene problem

magiclight
12-16-2016, 02:10 PM
I have a character rig in a scene and I have an FBX file with a different pose for that rig, so I make a copy of frame 0 and save it as frame -10 so I can restore it later, then I use "Load items from scene" and select "Load only motion envelopes" and the pose gets loaded very nice and fine, the problem is that it looks like it overwrites all old frames, even the one I stored at frame -10 is gone (the loade files only contains frame 0-500), I tried to load the FBX into LW first, delete all frames from 0 to 499 and just kept frame 500 (the one I am interested in), after trying to load items froms scene again it still deleted/obverwrite frame 0 and -10 even if it is not in the scene file I import.

Is it correct to assume that all old key frames are lost when I use "Load items from scene" (load only motion envelopes) and if so is there any way around it, I tried Dopetrack/Copy frame 0 before loading the items and then do a paste but that did not work either, it looks like "copy" does not actually copy the key frames, it will do that when you "paste" and at that time it is to late, at least it looks like that is what it is doing.

I was hoping there was some way to lock keyframes so they could not be deleted or something.

Oh, it's LW 2015.

Danner
12-16-2016, 04:45 PM
I guess you could copy it to another object temporarily with http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscripts.html#Copy_Paste_Poses

Greenlaw
12-16-2016, 05:19 PM
That's correct, Merge Only Motion Envelopes overwrite what's on the target rig; I dont' think there's a way to get MOME to append to existing motion.

I think what you want to use is LightWave's Motion Mixer. It's been several years since I last used the tool but basically it works like the Story Window in Motion Builder. The idea is to save your animations as separate motion clips and then you can add them to Motion Mixer's timeline. The tool even lets you blend motions. We used it to mix combat motions for a couple of Call of Duty commercials and for mixing horse animations for a Quaker State commercial.

Hope that helps.

As you might have guessed, I usually use Motion Builder for this sort of thing but I'm starting to play with the standalone version of Ikinema Webanimate which has a lot of the basic features of MB and is a whole lot cheaper. (I think I spent maybe $150 for it but it might have been on sale at the time.) I haven't used it enough to really recommend it yet so just putting it out there. If Motion Mixer doesn't do what you need, you might check it out.

magiclight
02-09-2017, 12:39 AM
A little late but I found a solution that works pretty well, I use Keyframer to save out the key frames I want to keep in a temperary file and then load items from scene, after that I can just restore any keyframes I need with Keyframer.

daforum
02-09-2017, 12:55 AM
Can you talk about 'Keyframer' and how you used it?
( i'm curious as to how it works )

magiclight
02-09-2017, 04:57 AM
Nothing fancy (Util/Plugins/Additional/Keyframer), it saves out keyframes of selected items/channels to a file and can load it back in again, either single frames or "clips" (range of key frames), it can do some other stuff also but I only use it for saving/loading.

daforum
02-09-2017, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the info magiclight :thumbsup:

So it works on multiple items at once or just one at a time?
eg: all bones of a rig or multiple objects?

magiclight
02-09-2017, 05:45 AM
Anything you have selected, including multiple items.

RebelHill
02-09-2017, 09:58 AM
simples...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LxtV07BEl0&index=30&list=PLTds3QePYrWGUd7fMuNAivIsORvpnKDqX

magiclight
02-24-2017, 03:01 PM
I must have done something stupid when I installed it, when I click "Save" (pose) I get:

Can't read the full caption, and after I select a file and click "Save" I get:

It's the latest Free version from the website, just copied files to plugin and installed the 4 lsc files (LW 2013.3), do I need to do something else ?

That was with a bone selected but same thing with any other object.

magiclight
02-25-2017, 03:13 AM
Oops, no I do not have LW 2013.3, it's 2015.3 and nothing else ;)