PDA

View Full Version : Surfacing Question...

Kryslin
12-16-2016, 11:34 AM
I find myself trying to make some procedural, digital camouflage for the 'mecha model posted in the WIP gallery. It only has to work once, because once I get it it looking good, I'm baking it out to a set of image maps (diffuse, roughness, specularity).

If I was using RSL/REYES, this would be cake work for cellnoise3D(), which would return discrete values , which would make up the blocks of the digital camo.

However, Lightwave's nodes doesn't appear to have the same kind of function exposed - Or does it?

So, my question is, is there a nodal equivalent to cellnoise() in lightwave? I have a very clumsy work around (involving IFW2's regional nodes and the bath tiles node), but the results are less than ideal... Is there a way I can get one of the native nodes to emulate it? Or am I going to have to make my own, by hacking apart a python based node example, and inserting my own code...?

MonroePoteet
12-16-2016, 11:54 AM
You might have some luck using Alpha filtered Turbulence textures with various colors and sizes. I tend to use Texture Layers rather than nodes for this type of setup, but you can do the same with a nodal setup.

Attached is a sample scene. The Color Texture has 6 Turbulence layers, every other one being the Alpha filter for the one below it. By using the Subtract or Add mode, they are layered on top of one onother. Note that the Alpha filter layers have their Turbulence Contrast set to 100% to create the "cell" type structure. You could also use the Cells Procedural for an Alpha filter.

mTp

pinkmouse
12-16-2016, 12:44 PM
I can't think of anything that would give you that kind of "volumetric" output on a scale you can use. However IFW2 is probably they way forward, do you have an example of the look you're after?

Kryslin
12-17-2016, 12:05 AM
I'm trying for something like this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MARPAT_comparison.PNG
(Not the patterns, but the style; the blocky, minecrafty look).

This is what I've got, so far:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/3D%20Stuff/whm_6rcamo_zps6mcj1rpl.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Kryslin/media/3D%20Stuff/whm_6rcamo_zps6mcj1rpl.jpg.html)
The nodal network is a nasty, tangled mess, and I need to adjust some values....

Kryslin
12-17-2016, 07:53 AM
Perhaps I need to restate the question :

Basically, I'm looking for a noise function, that takes a numeric input (scalar or vector), and returns a value (either a scalar, vector, or color).

Does this exist natively, or can one of the existing textures be made to do this...?

MonroePoteet
12-17-2016, 09:36 AM
Maybe the Random Scalar under the Tools section of the Node editor?

When I want a "noisy" texture, I generate a black and white image in my image editor with a low pixel resolution, like 140x140, 170x170, 200x200, apply it as a Cubic Image Texture in whatever channel, and size it up or down to get the blockiness I want.

For objects that don't fit a Cubic texture very well (most of them), I can create a quick Atlas UVMap, and then use different resolution noise images to "randomize" the blockiness.

Yes, it'd be nice if there was a "Pixel Noise" Procedural with the ability to specify the X,Y,Z resolution, but I don't know of one. Anyone?

Attached is a sample scene using an Atlas UVMap and the 140x140, 170x170, and 200x200 pixel noise images. I should note that the 170x170 noise had some "hot spots" (i.e. pure white pixels) which I didn't like, so I added the Halftone Image Processing plugin in the Image Editor for that image to tone it down a little.

Good luck!
mTp

pinkmouse
12-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Had some time for a quick test, and this is what I came up with. Uses the remapping function of IFW2 Bathtiles to get the quantized look, (I think Richard did a YT tute on this, check his channel...)

It's fairly straightforward, but if you need any help yell out.

As for your function question, that could be done, but mapping the result back on the object might be a chore. I'll have a think about it... :)

JoePoe
12-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Boy you could tweak this forever......

I combined a couple of the Rman nodes. Shape Bomber (squares) and Stained.

pinkmouse
12-17-2016, 02:54 PM
Boy you could tweak this forever......

Indeed! That's why I love LW nodal texturing. :D