PDA

View Full Version : Sliders from the 2100 century please!

Prince Charming
12-15-2016, 01:32 PM
This is a rant. So please forgive me...
This is about as low hanging fruit as it gets, and could offer so much power and organization to LWs spread all over the place problem.
The current implementation shouldn't ever have been released in a professional app... Why is it there, and for 15 years???
Why cant we have an interface builder that gives much better ways to connect channels to an interface... an interface like the rest of LW uses, and not that ogl view port trash... really bad!!!
Please tell me that it has already been done for this release. With an app that is spread all over like LW this type of functionality could make a HUGE difference.
We should be able to build interfaces with many different options and components that allow us to control channels in many ways.
We should have color pickers, int, scale, vector, sliders, 2d controls, even a node network that would output its contents to the referenced channel.
This is how it should be done... PLEASE DO IT!
This would solve a huge problem of having to dig through many objects and panels to find relevant controls... also when you pass the file to someone else they can just look at what channels are being referenced to see where the work is all being done at, and not ever have to search through many objects and channels to find out.
After trying to use sliders over the past month all I can say is... LOL.

jwiede
12-26-2016, 02:43 PM
See this thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139880-Lightwave-s-Sliders!!). Customers have been begging Newtek/LW3DG for better-implemented sliders for many, many years to absolutely NO avail, and little reason to think that will ever change. Having customers direct requests to Feature Requests just appears to send em down a bottomless pit.

Good luck with your request, all points are excellent and worth doing. I wish I believed any would get resolved, alas.

paulhart
12-26-2016, 06:04 PM
Bravo, well stated, and much needed. And... please allow me to choose which view any given slider will show up in, not have it "pop" up in all four(4) windows at once and partially block the very item I am hoping to effect. This makes complete sense, it seems to be relatively 'low hanging fruit' and would have applicability all over the interface.
For these very good reasons, I expect this thread, and it's contents, will disappear without a response from Newtek, (Lino?? Rob??) or any trace of this very good idea, in the next release. I welcome being wrong!! Please prove me to be a faithless idiot, I welcome the crown.
_____ and Jwiede, which thread were you referencing? or were you??

Every4thPixel
12-27-2016, 06:45 AM
Something like the "connection editor" in Maya would be a powerful tool.

Paul_Boland
12-27-2016, 09:09 AM
See this thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139880-Lightwave-s-Sliders!!). Customers have been begging Newtek/LW3DG for better-implemented sliders for many, many years to absolutely NO avail, and little reason to think that will ever change. Having customers direct requests to Feature Requests just appears to send em down a bottomless pit.

Good luck with your request, all points are excellent and worth doing. I wish I believed any would get resolved, alas.

Thanks for the mention. Yes, I've been crying out for the Sliders to be updated since Lightwave 8!!!!!!!! Come on, LW3DG, get it sorted!!!

jwiede
12-27-2016, 07:02 PM
Jwiede, which thread were you referencing? or were you??

Paul, the words "this thread" are a link to the thread in question, if you haven't already discovered that.

paulhart
12-27-2016, 08:41 PM
Paul, the words "this thread" are a link to the thread in question, if you haven't already discovered that.
You are just too quick and subtle for me. I had found the other thread, more by accident that intent, but until your note, I had not "floated" over the words 'this thread' and in my on screen version of the HTML it doesn't look different until I do. Subtle stuff, thank you.
Paul

pinkmouse
12-28-2016, 03:20 AM
I love Houdini's method where you can "promote" any variable in the node network to become a live controller. That would be an interesting way to go.

jwiede
01-02-2017, 07:45 PM
I love Houdini's method where you can "promote" any variable in the node network to become a live controller. That would be an interesting way to go.

MODO's channel hauling stuff works somewhat similarly, and yeah, I find much more usable than LW sliders (which I find unusable, time invested versus RoI is always a big loss IMO).

lardbros
01-04-2017, 05:34 AM
Using and creating sliders in 3dsMax is way worse than LW... LW makes it fairly simple. Not saying LW's couldn't be improved, they most certainly can be... but 3dsMax is way worse in my opinion anyway.