PDA

View Full Version : mysterious uneven surface rendering

Cheryl2
12-15-2003, 06:58 PM
:(
Up till now we've had uncommonly good
luck with LW. Minimal crashes. great looking results (we do architecture) etc. etc.

Without warning, all rendered surfaces are coming out rough, uneven and often with vertical lines and nothing we have tried (lighting, antialiasing, smoothing etc.) seems solve the problem.

I've attached a partial test image of a multistory condo which illustrates the problem. The stucco surfaces are not matching and in some areas are uneven.
And there are lines appearing where they shouldn't be. We're on a very tight deadline.

We're running LW 7.5c on a dual G4
with OSX.2.8

Thanks - any help is greatly appreciated.

Melvil
12-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Hi! I'm sorry, but did I miss the image link or did you forget to attach it?

-Dave

Cheryl2
12-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Here's the image

Cheryl2
12-15-2003, 08:05 PM
Sorry we missed the posting the attachment. We're still trying to fix the problem...am attaching another sample
this perhaps illustrates the problem a little better. Notice the perspective lines
(what the heck could cause that?)
and the unevenly lit texture with vertical lines. Maybe we should just reset the preferences and start over...if we can remember how.

Thanks for your help!

Darth Mole
12-16-2003, 01:34 AM
It looks like you've altered either the scale, angle or the projection of the texture mapping. The odd sloping lines look like a planar map has become spherical (or vice versa). Go though all your textures and check that the images are being used correctly.

You might even have to remove the image map and re-apply it. I vaguely remember a problem like this in the past, where suddenly LW has 'forgotten' the projection of the texture map and reverted to another type.

It also happens if you inadvertently cut and paste textures from one surface to another, where they're projected at different scales or angles.

Hope that helps...

byronpetch
12-16-2003, 02:53 AM
Try Darth Mole's suggestions first but Ive had texture problems in the past and found the following to be a culprit;

Photoshop texture files containing alpha channels.

copying an object and accidently pasting it back in the same place without moving it so you get two faces in the same place. This can cause a texture clash. Try selecting a face, deleting it and seeing if a secondary one exists.

Cheryl2
12-16-2003, 05:59 AM
Thanks Darth! That seemed to work quite well.

Darth Mole
12-16-2003, 09:26 AM
Glad to be of service. Though it completely goes against all of my evil instincts... being a servant of the Sith can be SOOO demanding, honestly.