PDA

View Full Version : layout crashes after every 4th frame.

stylus10
12-12-2016, 07:59 PM
hi, thanks for checking this out. layout has been crashing every 4th frame during render. i have turned stuff on and off. rebooted the computer and reloaded lightwave, the latests 64bit version. could someone hazard a guess or has anyone had this happen to them? thanks again, i am stumped.

jeric_synergy
12-12-2016, 08:30 PM
VERY hard to say: sounds like a memory leak? Are you using any plugins?

stylus10
12-12-2016, 08:32 PM
just cloth. i have unchecked it and it still happens. i have nine particle systems in it. one is unchecked.

stylus10
12-12-2016, 08:51 PM
i have loaded another scene. did not crash. running the same scene with global on (as in crashy scene) to see what's what.

stylus10
12-12-2016, 09:01 PM
still crashes. i have turned off the cloth, particle systems and global illumination..... sigh.

vncnt
12-12-2016, 09:50 PM
Cloth? Maybe you can Save the motion to MDD to prevent evaluation during rendering?

jeric_synergy
12-12-2016, 11:32 PM
What vncnt said: also, monitor RAM usage as your scene renders. If there's memory allocation issues in Cloth, MDD'ing the motion should take that burden off the software.

Sensei
12-13-2016, 12:50 AM
hi, thanks for checking this out. layout has been crashing every 4th frame during render. i have turned stuff on and off. rebooted the computer and reloaded lightwave, the latests 64bit version. could someone hazard a guess or has anyone had this happen to them? thanks again, i am stumped.

What if you half-resolution, or half-half-resolution.. ?
What if you try rendering every 4th frame in sequence, 0... 4... 8... 12... 16... etc. ?

stylus10
12-13-2016, 04:58 AM
as i mentioned i have mmd files in play and have unchecked cloth. will try a different rez. thanks.

stylus10
12-13-2016, 05:01 AM
o as the 5th frame comes up, it crashes. there is no computation on the 5th frame whatever. i have had the same problem though after having turned off global illumination. hummmmmm......

720p? still crashes.

stylus10
12-13-2016, 08:13 AM
so as a work around i started the render on frame 5. so far, so good.

vncnt
12-13-2016, 09:06 AM
Something weird in the geometry that can not be handled by ClothFX?

stylus10
12-13-2016, 09:22 AM
as i may have mentioned i've turned off cloth. thinking as you did. i went to an earlier mmd file that for sure worked. i ran it with no dynamics, particle systems or 3rd party lights in it. i was able to get to frame 13 when starting at frame 5.... now i am loading a 32 bit version of 2015-3 to see if that works. ram memory remains rock steady once the scene is loaded. no strange reports or bumps on the graphs.....

Spinland
12-13-2016, 09:23 AM
One thing I sometimes try when a scene behaves badly and I don't know why is to start a new blank scene, then load in the objects from the other one or two at a time and see if it continues when rendering from there.

Best case something was corrupted in the scene file and all is now good. Worst case I isolate what specifically is causing the crash.

stylus10
12-13-2016, 09:35 AM
so the 32 bit version throws and error "out of memory while rendering". does anyone know why this is? (all of a sudden) does anyone know what i can do to change the problem?

jeric_synergy
12-13-2016, 10:36 AM
You'll just have to upload your scene. ;)

What camera are you using?

vncnt
12-13-2016, 11:12 AM
so the 32 bit version throws and error "out of memory while rendering". does anyone know why this is? (all of a sudden) does anyone know what i can do to change the problem?
Can you give us some hardware specs? How much RAM anyway? Windows10?

"Turning off" ClothFX can mean anything. Remove it from your object, save the scene, close Layout, re-open Layout, reload the scene and try again. What happens then?

Sensei
12-13-2016, 07:54 PM

If there is really enough memory,
there must be memory leakage somewhere in plugins (either built-in or 3rd party),
which leads to filling entire memory which 32 bit OS can handle,
(with 64 bit it will be delayed, so might disappear (no crash every nth frame), but it'll be just illusion).

Using GI cache, animated cache, nodes which do interpolation, they are eating memory for samples, while camera is moving.
(try making camera static, no move, no rotate, and try rendering)
Using pretty "silly" settings for caches can also lead to such problems.
There is no security checks whether parameters are in right limits.
(f.e. if you set min/max distance between cache samples 1px, and use FullHD, there will be at least 2 millions of "sample containers", with multi-millions samples in them)

Try using Render Queue,
set rendering frames 1,2,3
then 2nd scene 4,5,6
then 3rd scene 7,8,9
Queue them and try rendering.

stylus10
12-14-2016, 06:15 AM
so i opened a new scene and imported from the old scene all of the elements. everything works fine now. ?? strange.

Spinland
12-14-2016, 06:17 AM
so i opened a new scene and imported from the old scene all of the elements. everything works fine now. ?? strange.

Glad you got it sorted. As I mentioned above, sometimes that clears up weird glitches. I expect something was corrupted in the bowels of the scene file, a clean start can help.

vncnt
12-14-2016, 07:07 AM
If you could perform a Document Compare in a text editor, between the corrupt LWS and the working LWS, you might find a hint.

jeric_synergy
12-14-2016, 09:15 AM
Glad you got it sorted. As I mentioned above, sometimes that clears up weird glitches. I expect something was corrupted in the bowels of the scene file, a clean start can help.

What would REALLY be helpful would be to package up BOTH scenes, and send them to LWG so they can compare and see where the software is messing up.

I really don't understand why people don't send ALL their bugs to LWG.