PDA

View Full Version : an ice logo? what do you think?

fabmedia
03-07-2003, 12:41 AM
I've worked on this all day today trying to meet a deadline. I would say that I spent about 6 hours on it total. I'm a newbie, but I'm needing to know if I'm starting to get the hang of this. Some post photoshop, mainly with the background, but other than that 100% LW.

All comments welcome. Good, bad, or ugly.

Arlen

Kuzey
03-07-2003, 02:23 AM
Cool...but it kinda looks like water on metal...but then again, I haven't done much rendering in Lightwave.

Kuzey

Neural Riptide
03-07-2003, 09:36 AM
The modeling is good, but the surface looks more like an image out of one of those super micro-scopes.
I would think that, for ice, it would be a lot more transparent, with a light reflection map. Haven't tried that effect before though, so I don't know if it's accurate.

Bionic Antboy
03-07-2003, 09:52 AM
I agree with the other posters...it looks good, but if the title didn't say Ice Logo, then I would have guessed water on metal or something like that...

I'd recommend adding some transparency, and in fact, if you've updated to LW 7.5b, give the new Depth Gradient a try.

All the other aspects of the image are good, the composition etc., though I personally may move the camera a little lower and tit it up for a bit more drama...

Antboy

fabmedia
03-07-2003, 09:59 AM
Looking at it right now as it is... I can start to see what you're talking about. I guess it would be good to put it into perspective from the original render. It's output is going to be in greyscale. But here is what it was from a previous render...

fabmedia
03-07-2003, 10:00 AM
When really looking at the last image, I can see that by taking out the backdrop image, it really does lose it's "icy" feel.

Arlen

DragonAngel
03-07-2003, 02:07 PM
If the ice is melting, wouldn't the corner start to become let prominent and more soft (beveled) ?

fabmedia
03-07-2003, 02:32 PM
You make a great point as I had hoped that no one would bring that up. I agree that the corners and "sharp" edges would be the first to go, but to tell you the truth I wouldn't know where to start with something like that. How would I go about creating the smooth images and the melted look with such a short turn around project? would it be safe to say by using transparancy maps or clip maps to round those edges? I would have to have a very quick and easy solution to be able to do that. I'm still a newbie, so any advise is very welcome.

Arlen

fabmedia
03-07-2003, 02:35 PM
there are bevels, just really small ones. I guess what i was getting at is how do I go about making something that "melts". Even if it's a still, and better yet, in an animation? For instance the whole logo either solidifying or melting away.

A