PDA

View Full Version : sIBL image file issue GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint?.

cove
12-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Hi all.

Ive just finished reinstalling my Lightwave 2015.3 [O/S Window 10]
and all my plugins including Smart sIBL.

All plugins work ok but im having a problem with 1 sIBL image file.

Have manually installed all available sIBL image files [64 altogether].
Every one of these 64 image sets show in the sIBL display window.
All files/images but one will show in the Layout scene when loaded.

When i select the "GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint" file in the sIBL window
the file goes through the motions as if its loading ok.
Everything seems to of loaded but what you see in the Layout scene is just a ground plane. The globe object is missing.
All objects and surface texture files including the sIBLsun are present
in the Layout scene but no globe has been loaded so images cannot be displayed.

Have deleted and reinstalled the GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint file but same result.
Also downloaded a fresh GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint zip file from sIBL site
Still got the same result.

Any suggestions what could be going wrong here and is there a way to resolve this issue.
Thanks for any info/comment in reply.

cove
12-14-2016, 12:23 AM
Looks as if there is no resolution to the "GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint" image file problem i have.
All is not lost though as ive found out that by loading any other sIBL image file into the layout
scene i need only change the background image to the background image of the "GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint".
This is not ideal but at least the Grand canyon image can be seen.

gerry_g
12-14-2016, 03:09 AM
those files are openable in notepad so you could open a working one and the non working one and repair the text instructions for loading the globe, setting sun/light position, intensity and colour value may be more problematic if they are missing but it is doable, there is a lot on the sibl sight that will tell you how

cove
12-15-2016, 03:11 AM
those files are openable in notepad so you could open a working one and the non working one and repair the text instructions for loading the globe, setting sun/light position, intensity and colour value may be more problematic if they are missing but it is doable, there is a lot on the sibl sight that will tell you how

Thanks for your suggestion.
Ive never done this kind of procedure before but will give it a go.
Will check out the sIBL site for more info.
Let you know how i get on.

cove
12-15-2016, 08:36 AM
The only file within any sIBL image sets that opens as a text file are the ones ending with ".ibl "
eg. GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint.ibl Tropical_Ruins.ibl

The text that shows does not contain any reference to the "Sphere" only the images.

Is it another text file that your refering to?.
[Ive looked for another text file but cannot find one].

Did checkout sIBL site [Forums] but could not see any info on "Sphere" not

If this is the text file you were refering to then its looks as if were at a dead end.
Don,t mind really as i can at least load the "GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint" background image onto another working image set.

Normally i would simply delete a bad file and not trouble with it.

This file "GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint" relevence to me is that ive been to the Grand canyon. Had a helicopter flight from Las vagas to and down into the canyon.[Was brilliant!!] and brings back lots of memories for me.

Do not have now the photographs from that time [20 years ago].
So not only do i have an sIBL file with a panaramic view of the Grand canyon i can if i want to animate a helicopter object flying around and down into the canyon.

Just to end on a positive note.
While on the sIBL forum and checking out links to any sIBL files i found
one image set that i did not have.
Other links were either dead or were pay for items.

gerry_g
12-15-2016, 09:09 AM
yup my bad have edited lights and maps several times always assumed could do same with the geo but it is not referenced there, the file is broken, appears for split second then disappears from screen, I can see the errors in terminal but not clear how to correct them, as you yourself have stated the two sphere objects were loaded into the scenes object directory so can be re added to scene, just remember to drag them under the sibl null so every thing is linked and works properly.

rsfd
12-15-2016, 10:44 AM
Hello cove,

just had a quick look at the .ibl file from the GCanyon_C_YumaPoint set, that you are referring to.
There is one point in that file which could be the reason for your issue.
It's easy to check and easy to fix, if it is the culprit:

When you have loaded the YumaPoint sIBL set, zoom out of the scene and check if the spheres are simply way too high (that would be: 100m up in Y-axis).
If you can verify that the sphere objects are just positioned too high within the scene, then go on and correct the "GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint.ibl" file with a simple text editor application.

In the "Header" part, search for the line (should be line 13), where it says:

Height = 100

Replace "100" with something more appropriate, like "1.6" (without quotes)
Save as plain text and give it a try.

(The "height" value here defines the distance between the nodal point of the camera lens with which the panorama was shot and the ground floor measured in meters. It seems very unlikely that Blochi managed to shoot from a height of 100m above the ground floor.
You can find anything about the description file for sIBL sets in the ".ibl Format Specs" section on hdrlabs.com).

(Alternatively, you could use the attached copy, where I made the change to the value of 1.6, you just would need to delete the ".txt" suffix which was needed for uploading to the NewTek forums server)

cove
12-15-2016, 01:33 PM
yup my bad have edited lights and maps several times always assumed could do same with the geo but it is not referenced there, the file is broken, appears for split second then disappears from screen, I can see the errors in terminal but not clear how to correct them, as you yourself have stated the two sphere objects were loaded into the scenes object directory so can be re added to scene, just remember to drag them under the sibl null so every thing is linked and works properly.

Thanks for further response.
I have noticed a later post by member "rsfd" and will try what he has suggested.

cove
12-15-2016, 03:00 PM
Hello cove,

just had a quick look at the .ibl file from the GCanyon_C_YumaPoint set, that you are referring to.
There is one point in that file which could be the reason for your issue.
It's easy to check and easy to fix, if it is the culprit:

When you have loaded the YumaPoint sIBL set, zoom out of the scene and check if the spheres are simply way too high (that would be: 100m up in Y-axis).
If you can verify that the sphere objects are just positioned too high within the scene, then go on and correct the "GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint.ibl" file with a simple text editor application.

In the "Header" part, search for the line (should be line 13), where it says:

Height = 100

Replace "100" with something more appropriate, like "1.6" (without quotes)
Save as plain text and give it a try.

(The "height" value here defines the distance between the nodal point of the camera lens with which the panorama was shot and the ground floor measured in meters. It seems very unlikely that Blochi managed to shoot from a height of 100m above the ground floor.
You can find anything about the description file for sIBL sets in the ".ibl Format Specs" section on hdrlabs.com).

(Alternatively, you could use the attached copy, where I made the change to the value of 1.6, you just would need to delete the ".txt" suffix which was needed for uploading to the NewTek forums server)

You are spot on with your advice.
I loaded "GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint" then in perspective zoomed out and there were the spheres high above the ground.

I then looked at your attatched text file and for comparison i opened up the text file in the "GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint" image folder.

I could see height set to 100 in the latter and your height setting of 1.6 in the former.

What i decided to do was go through the actions of changing the height from 100 to 1.6 in the text file, just for the experience, and then save this new text file over the original in the "GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint" image folder.

Then deleted the "GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint" file from the sIBL list and reinstalled the same file with the newer text file.

Im glad to say that it worked!!!

"GrandCanyon_C_YumaPoint" now loads with the spheres at the right height and the background image also shows ok.

Im made up.

PS. I also re-saved the sIBL config file.

cove
12-15-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote "those files are openable in notepad so you could open a working one and the non working on"

You were right to refer to the text file and did notice the reference to "height 100" but because it did not have the word sphere or
globe next to it i thought it refered to something else.

It is only when i viewed "rsfd" attatched text file that i could see his alteration from 100 to 1.6 therefor understood what i needed to do.

As you will see from my reply to "rsfd" all is working fine now.
Sorry i could not follow through with your advice. It was down to my not having to change a text file before.

rsfd
12-15-2016, 04:52 PM
Hello cove,

glad it worked out for you.
(Sometimes, a small typing error just has a big impact!)

{edit - just a small addition}:
The "Height" value in real-world is simply the height above the ground floor from where the panorama is photographed and is determined by i.e. the tripod height and the purpose for which the panorama is being photographed.
In a 3D scene, this becomes the distance between the 3D-scene's origin in Y (Y=0) and the center of the environment spheres, therefore not automatically the distance between the scene's ground floor and the environment sphere's center point.