PDA

View Full Version : zbrush to quixel?

sadkkf
12-12-2016, 10:03 AM
Hey--

I'm just getting started with Zbrush and am already hitting a wall.

How do I bring my models into Quixel to texture? I'm creating UV's in Zbrush just fine, but exporting them to OBJ seems to lose them. I know I'm missing a simple step, but can't figure this out.

What I'm doing is creating the UVs in Zbrush, copying them to my model, saving the model then exporting the OBJ. They don't even export to the FBX format. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Norka
12-12-2016, 10:16 AM
Why export OBJ when you have the wonderful GoZ button? Get your GoZ working to and from LW/ZB. Then do FBX out of LW, and you should be good-to-go!

I do own both Quixel Suite and Substance Painter... QS is sitting on the shelf. SP opens LWO, and I ended up liking.. er, loving, the SP workspace/workflow much better...

sadkkf
12-12-2016, 10:24 AM
Ha. Cool. I'll give that a try.

I'm not crazy about Quixel, but I did buy it cheap and thought I'd go with it for a while. I'll probably go with SP in the future because that workflow seems much easier. That is, unless Quixel finally goes standalone. :)

Thank you!

hrgiger
12-12-2016, 10:37 AM
Yeah I use zbrush and substance painter but I always take my model out of zb, do the uvs externally, then either take an fbx or a lwo into substance painter.

sadkkf
12-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Why? Creating UVs in ZB seems crazy simple. Creating them from poygroups is a snap.

hrgiger
12-12-2016, 11:10 AM
because even though zbrush is the best app in my opinion for sculpting, both retopology and uvs are so much better in 3DCoat.

Surrealist.
12-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Why? Creating UVs in ZB seems crazy simple. Creating them from poygroups is a snap.

UVs should really be done by hand. Make seems and unwrap. There is not enough control in any auto solution I have found. Especially going into a heavy texturing pipeline with something like QS of SD.

That's my experience. That is how I train my guys and how we do it in my studio. We have a pipeline worked out that is very successful for no stretch UVS and real clean texturing. It really pays off to learn how to unwrap and lay out UVs properly.

We usually do it in Maya, Maya LT or Blender. But also like hrgiger says 3D coat has some great tools. I have never used them but they look real nice. Whatever you do I think you have to maintain some control. But nothing wrong with using something that speeds it up.

sadkkf
12-12-2016, 11:45 AM
because even though zbrush is the best app in my opinion for sculpting, both retopology and uvs are so much better in 3DCoat.

Oh, yeah. I think I remember you saying that in another thread. I just can't bring myself to buy it, though.

sadkkf
12-12-2016, 11:51 AM
UVs should really be done by hand. Make seems and unwrap. There is not enough control in any auto solution I have found. Especially going into a heavy texturing pipeline with something like QS of SD.

That's my experience. That is how I train my guys and how we do it in my studio. We have a pipeline worked out that is very successful for no stretch UVS and real clean texturing. It really pays off to learn how to unwrap and lay out UVs properly.

We usually do it in Maya, Maya LT or Blender. But also like hrgiger says 3D coat has some great tools. I have never used them but they look real nice. Whatever you do I think you have to maintain some control. But nothing wrong with using something that speeds it up.

Oh, I agree. I've gotten into some of the UV tools in LW and can work with them well enough. For now, I'm just trying to learn the Zbrush -> Quixel pipeline. And, still learning Zbrush, I'm only creating primitives for now. Once I'm more involved, I'll need more powerful tools.

hrgiger
12-12-2016, 11:59 AM
I probably wouldnt have bought 3dc but they had a sale last year and so I took a look at it. Zbrush's uv master is not bad, it just lacks the fine control that you have in 3DC or other apps and lacks some of the dedicated tools for packing or adjusting your uvs after creation. But uv master is probably good enough for use in sp or quixel. The other problem is that I havent seen a way to get more than 1 uv map per object in or out of zbrush.

sadkkf
12-12-2016, 12:02 PM
I'm not sure ZB can have more than 1 UV per object. I think I read that this morning.

Hopefully ZB 5.0 will address this. Among other things.

And I'm still not able to get UVs out of ZB, even with GoZ.

I know my object has a UV because the UV Map dialog has the Delete UV button highlighted. It comes into Modeler without the UV. What am I missing?

Surrealist.
12-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Oh, I agree. I've gotten into some of the UV tools in LW and can work with them well enough. For now, I'm just trying to learn the Zbrush -> Quixel pipeline. And, still learning Zbrush, I'm only creating primitives for now. Once I'm more involved, I'll need more powerful tools.

Yeah generally. Just don't worry about Zbrush UVs. A waste of time to learn really. So much more to grasp in ZB. Do it elsewhere. Usually if I need UV in Zbrush for baking I will do that someplace else and import it back.

OlaHaldor
12-12-2016, 12:27 PM
I know my object has a UV because the UV Map dialog has the Delete UV button highlighted. It comes into Modeler without the UV. What am I missing?

Go ZPlugin in the top, and then UV Master.
Click "flatten" to see the object unwrapped. That's about the only way I know it's got a UV. I don't use the UV panel in the Toolbar (default located to the right). Ever.
It's never failed me to export an object this way.

I also use the FBX ExportImport panel from the Zplugin menu, and straight into Painter.

So my workflow is normally:

Sculpt
Duplicate the sculpt, zremesh it to create a low poly mesh
Unwrap in ZBrush UV Master (or export fbx, then uv map in Modo)
(if uv mapped in Modo: import fbx and append to the project)
Divide until it's got roughly the same poly count as the sculpt
Bake displacement/vector displacement, AO and Normal map for the UV mapped object, using the original sculpt as source
Project the original sculpt to the uv mapped object
Duplicate the uv mapped object and decimate it
Export FBX
Import the decimated object into Painter, bake the rest of the maps necessary and continue the texturing process

If it's going to a game engine I take the low-res mesh and bake all maps in Painter with the decimated model as source.

hrgiger
12-12-2016, 12:34 PM
you can do a uv check in zbrush. not at my computer but it should be in the tools menu under texture>new from uv check or something like that.

sadkkf
12-12-2016, 12:39 PM
Thanks. This just isn't working.

I "Work on Clone", Unwrap, Flatten, Unflatten, CopyUVs, select my original object, PasteUVs, GoZ...and the object loads in Modeler w/o the UV.

Here are some screen shots in ZB showing there is a UV map. I load a texture as you say, HRgiger, and it looks fine in ZB. When I send to Modeler, there is no UV.

Anyway, my 10 minutes of free time are used for the day so I'll have to tinker with this later.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Norka
12-12-2016, 12:48 PM
You have to Click "T" down in the bottom right of Modeler, then choose your ZBrush UV from pull down menu.

gerry_g
12-12-2016, 01:19 PM
before you leave ZBrush you can always check if you actually do have uv's there by flipping open the uv tab and hovering your mouse over the delete uv button, if its greyed out and you get a circle with a diagonal bar through it you know you have no uv's

rustythe1
12-12-2016, 02:09 PM
Thanks. This just isn't working.

I "Work on Clone", Unwrap, Flatten, Unflatten, CopyUVs, select my original object, PasteUVs, GoZ...and the object loads in Modeler w/o the UV.

Here are some screen shots in ZB showing there is a UV map. I load a texture as you say, HRgiger, and it looks fine in ZB. When I send to Modeler, there is no UV.

Anyway, my 10 minutes of free time are used for the day so I'll have to tinker with this later.

Thanks everyone for your input.

you need to select the uv map in the bottom right of LW, at the moment you have it set to none, you then usually have to set the uv map in the surface editor to and re apply any image you might have exported from Zbrush

sorry, norka spotted that too

jasonwestmas
12-12-2016, 04:40 PM
Also see this naming bug and possible work around. You might run into it using GoZ in lightwave.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145407-ZBrush-4R7-available/page2&highlight=Zbrush+UVs

sadkkf
12-13-2016, 05:29 AM
You have to Click "T" down in the bottom right of Modeler, then choose your ZBrush UV from pull down menu.

Crap. I hate when I'm stupid. Thanks.

hrgiger
12-13-2016, 07:18 AM
In any case, you can always try loading it into Quixel. If its anything like substance painter, it wont let you load it if there is no uv map associated with the model. Although with quixel going through photoshop, it might not be the same.

Norka
12-13-2016, 07:56 AM
Polygroups > Group Similar has come in handy many a time, when making ColorID maps etc... I sure wish LW had the ability to select similar stuff...

sadkkf
12-14-2016, 07:52 AM
In any case, you can always try loading it into Quixel. If its anything like substance painter, it wont let you load it if there is no uv map associated with the model. Although with quixel going through photoshop, it might not be the same.

I've tried this and Quixel always told me the UV was missing. That's why I thought ZBrush wasn't saving the map with the OBJ. I still haven't had a chance to really test this by saving from Modeler. I know Modeler is getting the UVs now (facepalm!), but haven't tried saving it from there and opening it in Quixel.

- - - Updated - - -

Polygroups > Group Similar has come in handy many a time, when making ColorID maps etc... I sure wish LW had the ability to select similar stuff...

I agree. UV, normal and ID maps are all pretty essential now. Let's hope for some new native tools with the next release.