PDA

View Full Version : Ubercam 3x speed boost in 2.6

ConjureBunny
12-10-2016, 12:20 AM
So I'm chasing down a bug in Ubercam and it hits me that there's gotta be a better way to do this. Each render is GINORMOUS.

And then it hits me, if I only render the forward direction, I can still use this in my headset (and VR Companion app), and it will look the same. But it should take significantly less time to render. And I was right. This will be in the next update, which I'm hoping to get out ASAP.

Here's how this trick works. By only rendering forward (but still filling in the rest of the render with black), we cut down the total rendered area significantly.

This leads to a massive speed boost, almost 3 times faster.

This is excellent for previs, where you're probably mostly concerned about the area you're pointing the camera directly at. And since it fills out the rest of the image with black, you can easily render frames with this option turned on, and mix them in with your full spherical renders.

And that feature is done. I'm just doing a slew of tests to make sure I didn't break anything, and then I'll be sending it out to all registered users!

-Chilton

ernpchan
12-10-2016, 12:33 AM
Wow, that's a significant speed increase.

Is there a demo version of Ubercam?

Spinland
12-10-2016, 06:03 AM
Rock on! :rock:

shrox
12-10-2016, 06:54 AM
Excellent!

Markc
12-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Is there a reason your renderer is only using one thread, Chilton?

CaptainMarlowe
12-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Geee... another item in the to-buy list...

jwiede
12-10-2016, 03:59 PM
So I'm chasing down a bug in Ubercam and it hits me that there's gotta be a better way to do this. Each render is GINORMOUS.

And then it hits me, if I only render the forward direction, I can still use this in my headset (and VR Companion app), and it will look the same. But it should take significantly less time to render. And I was right. This will be in the next update, which I'm hoping to get out ASAP.

Chilton, there will still be a pref to revert to the prior behavior, right? It's a little difficult to tell from your description the precise workflow/usage receiving this change.

ConjureBunny
12-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Is there a reason your renderer is only using one thread, Chilton?

Yeah it's because it's easier for me to test things with a single thread.

I wrote another app (screenshots below) that records and analyzes LightWave's scanline renderer, so I could nail down some math problems I was having.

It's just easier for my feeble human brain to wrap around a single thread...

...than multiple threads...

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
12-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Chilton, there will still be a pref to revert to the prior behavior, right? It's a little difficult to tell from your description the precise workflow/usage receiving this change.

Oh absolutely. This would be a terrible 'always on' feature.

It's a checkbox--Limit To Forward Only...

I'm a little uneasy about the wording though. I could change that to "Only Render Forward", but there's a concept of 'forward rendering' that I don't want to confuse people with.

Any better suggestions for wording there? The point is that when checked, it only renders stuff that would be directly forward of the camera, instead of every direction.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
12-10-2016, 05:31 PM
Speed comparison with threads set to auto, Ubercam's Immersive camera, with and without the forward only render option on.

This is a crazy lightweight scene, so obviously these render times won't mean squat compared to what anyone else here renders :D

Normal immersive camera

Same camera with that option on

I think that's almost 4x faster.

Again though, YMMV. I need to build a decent test scene. I might work on that tonight.

-Chilton

shrox
12-10-2016, 05:37 PM

I wrote another app (screenshots below) that records and analyzes LightWave's scanline renderer, so I could nail down some math problems I was having.

-Chilton

But the colors man, the colors! (the colours too...)

Impressive ingenuity too!

spherical
12-10-2016, 08:00 PM
Any better suggestions for wording there? The point is that when checked, it only renders stuff that would be directly forward of the camera, instead of every direction.

How about:
Truncate Out-of-Frame
OR
Render In-Frame Only

jwiede
12-10-2016, 09:08 PM

Well, perhaps phrasing like "limit to camera view frustum"? Works even if bounds are a bit beyond just the view frustum itself.

Point is, you mostly want to clarify to user how to predict area that will be rendered, which is same as understanding process you use to select area that gets rendered. Make sense?

jwiede
12-10-2016, 09:17 PM
How about:
Truncate Out-of-Frame
OR
Render In-Frame Only

Hmm, seems like the term "frame" could be misconstrued to mean as a temporal perspective -- I'm not sure users will automatically think of "frame" there as automatically meaning in the sense of "framing the camera's view".

CaptainMarlowe
12-10-2016, 11:49 PM
He he, this brainstorming about the name reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes...

spherical
12-11-2016, 12:31 AM
Hmm, seems like the term "frame" could be misconstrued to mean as a temporal perspective -- I'm not sure users will automatically think of "frame" there as automatically meaning in the sense of "framing the camera's view".

Well, that's what has meant and has been the norm since film came into being. IMO, the user will get used to it, whatever [possible] misconstrueism may or may not be present. More users will identify with "in-frame" and "out-of-frame" than "forward only". That's the point. Or, to put it another way: RTFM.

fishhead
12-11-2016, 03:38 AM
Definitely a great way to squash annoying idle time! Go, Chilton!!

Why not go the less scientific route: The way I see it, it is the "sweet spot", the area I am most interested in... So, suggestion: "sweet spot only".
I am more the simple type, you know... ;-)

Markc
12-11-2016, 03:41 AM

-Chilton

Nuff said......:thumbsup:
Any date for the Companion App release yet?

jeric_synergy
12-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Chilton, you zoomed over my head: how can a rendered & immersive sequence function if you're only doing a portion of the 360 wrap-around?? :stumped:

(I'm betting it has something to do with the technical direction of 'forward'.)

SteveH
12-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Chilton, you zoomed over my head: how can a rendered & immersive sequence function if you're only doing a portion of the 360 wrap-around?? :stumped:

(I'm betting it has something to do with the technical direction of 'forward'.)

This option would only be used when you are setting things up (lighting, object placement etc) to see how they look - and you are mostly concerned with your main object of focus. When you get everything looking great - then you render the full 360 render.

jeric_synergy
12-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Ah, so it's a prototyping toggle.

ConjureBunny
12-11-2016, 01:00 PM
Definitely a great way to squash annoying idle time! Go, Chilton!!

Why not go the less scientific route: The way I see it, it is the "sweet spot", the area I am most interested in... So, suggestion: "sweet spot only".
I am more the simple type, you know... ;-)

I like 'sweet spot'. Hmm.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
12-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Nuff said......:thumbsup:
Any date for the Companion App release yet?

So, full disclosure here, the VR Companion App has been basically finished for probably a month.

But...

While I was putting together a video showing how to use it, I loaded up some of my stereo images and they looked wrong. So naturally it must be a bug in the Companion app, I thought. A few days of testing and calibrating later, and I realized it was a bug in Ubercam's stereo immersive render. Not much of a bug, hardly noticeable in a headset, but absolutely noticeable in the VR Companion.

So I set to work on fixing the bug in Ubercam first, and as soon as this next version goes out, I'm going to put the finishing touches on the VR Companion, and prep that for launch. I need to come up with an icon and finalize the help screen.

Here's what the app looks like by default when you open it the first time.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
12-11-2016, 01:11 PM
That's the instructions for the Desktop visualizer.

If you have an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, it will be always on, so you can render out your image, and then put the headset on, and it will automatically load the latest rendered image.

-Chilton

Markc
12-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Looking forward to it........:thumbsup:

mummyman
12-12-2016, 01:12 PM
Coolness. Thanks for all the hard work and updates!

spherical
12-13-2016, 08:18 PM
I like 'sweet spot'. Hmm.

Unintuitive, IMO. IOW, what's sweet about where the camera is aimed?

ConjureBunny
12-13-2016, 09:27 PM

LOL well my laziness outperformed my desire to address this, and I just built it like the screenshot shows above. I'll circle back and address this later though when I've come up with some brilliant solution to the problem. Or when someone suggests something better :)

-Chilton

fishhead
12-14-2016, 04:16 AM
Well, if the spot is not sweet, why aim your camera there... So its probably even UBER intuitive ;-)

Triodin
12-14-2016, 08:03 AM
If I saw an option called "Limited View Render" that would tell me that I'm not going to get a full view render. Granted it doesn't specifically say what is / isn't being rendered, but at least we're not over-complicating the label. This is where I'd use a hover-over tooltip to really spell it out for a first time user hesitant to click and try.

"Front Camera View" and "Forward Facing Camera view" are confusing to me because I'm working with a spherical camera, however the front / forward does have an indicator on the camera shape so maybe that's irrelevant.

Interested to hear what other people think!

shrox
12-14-2016, 04:16 PM
I was on the radio this morning. I mentioned Ubercam....

ConjureBunny
12-14-2016, 05:05 PM

I saw that!
https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2016/dec/14/loco-supercommenter-shrox-talks-star-trek-graphic/

Thank you Shrox!

-Chilton

Zerowaitstate
12-15-2016, 02:49 AM

That was an interesting listen, i love to see your Trek scene in conjurbunnie's viewer let us know when you upload it.

Cheers

spherical
12-15-2016, 03:06 PM
Well, if the spot is not sweet, why aim your camera there... So its probably even UBER intuitive ;-)

Because in any given scene, there may be one sweet spot and it wouldn't necessarily be in-frame all of the time. It is a 360 view and you're moving the camera to point to where you need to adjust/check things. Not all of them are going to be "sweet" or even interesting for that matter.

shrox
12-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Because in any given scene, there may be one sweet spot and it wouldn't necessarily be in-frame all of the time. It is a 360 view and you're moving the camera to point to where you need to adjust/check things. Not all of them are going to be "sweet" or even interesting for that matter.

"Descriptively Metamorphic Camera Name Camera" then....

mummyman
12-15-2016, 06:48 PM
Cool!

jwiede
12-15-2016, 10:07 PM
I'm kind of growing to like "Limited View Render", and were tooltips to ever be possible or status line help text, there explain what's "limited" about the view.

annatronci
12-29-2016, 12:31 PM
I'm very interested in tool...but do you think that there will an update for the new skorpio xbox 360 ( it will work on pc...)..it will cost more less than htc ( very expensive now)...

Thank's

Anna

jwiede
12-30-2016, 12:00 AM
I'm very interested in tool...but do you think that there will an update for the new skorpio xbox 360 ( it will work on pc...)..it will cost more less than htc ( very expensive now)...

Thank's

Anna

Project Scorpio, aka next-gen of Xbox One after current (aka "Xbox One S"), while it may support VR/AR headsets, has never been stated to include one. It's a game console, not a VR or AR headset. The Microsoft AR headset is "Hololens", a different product.

annatronci
12-30-2016, 01:08 AM
that means the cheaper choise is htc?

ConjureBunny
12-30-2016, 05:22 PM
that means the cheaper choise is htc?

I would definitely go the HTC Vive route, personally.

-Chilton

annatronci
12-31-2016, 02:04 AM
I purchased tool yesterday..in any way i'll discover options...

Thanks

Markc
12-31-2016, 03:26 AM
Chilton, any sign of the beta companion app :D for testing

ianr
12-31-2016, 04:58 AM
I saw that!
https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2016/dec/14/loco-supercommenter-shrox-talks-star-trek-graphic/

Thank you Shrox!

-Chilton

See, we have Meta-Humans writing our Plugins

we should be proud.

Chilton's LW radar is stellar, he saw his voice on the Radio !!!!????

jwiede
01-02-2017, 09:16 PM
See, we have Meta-Humans writing our Plugins

we should be proud.

Chilton's LW radar is stellar, he saw his voice on the Radio !!!!????

BAD! :twak: No. NO!

:devil: