PDA

View Full Version : what tools do you use these days for sketching ?

madno
12-09-2016, 11:17 PM
Hi,

out of curiosity, what do you use for sketching and drawing these days? Tablets, Wacom, Software, brush sets etc ?

DrStrik9
12-09-2016, 11:45 PM
Pencil / paper, Wacom tablet, Adobe Illustrator.

spherical
12-10-2016, 12:05 AM
Kinda depends upon the project and whether it is in 2D or 3D to start and/or finish, or whether it is ultimately a 3D, but an ortho and perspective 2D sketch helps to flesh the idea out. In most cases, pencil is chosen in the very first stages while spitballing ideas. Paper and graphite are cheap and fast. Can be used anywhere. Sometimes, an end product that is to be 3D starts in 3D as simple models/scenes and then evolved.

ConjureBunny
12-10-2016, 12:08 AM
iPad Pro and Procreate. Best combo I've ever used.

I have a hand strap on the iPad Pro case so I can hold it like a painting palette, and it's just gold, baby, gold.

-Chilton

bobakabob
12-10-2016, 03:25 AM
I use a Wacom Cintiq 13HD. I love the texture of the screen for drawing, pressure sensitivity is excellent, the pen isn't battery powered and the buttons are easily assigned functions for working with software. It's also great for working with 3D apps especially Zbrush and LW Modeler. Here's a Photoshop pen and ink style drawing to show pressure sensitivity at work.

If I were to invest now I'd look at a Win surface Pro, though they are even more expensive as they're self contained computers. The tech is also becoming increasingly sophisticated so tablets are catching up fast.

hrgiger
12-10-2016, 03:45 AM
Mischief on my wacom.

pinkmouse
12-10-2016, 04:10 AM
Pencil and paper. Gadgets are okay, but you can't pin all your sketches and notes on them up around you to have a holistic view whilst you work. Unless you print them out of course. :)

hrgiger
12-10-2016, 05:33 AM
Pencil and paper. Gadgets are okay, but you can't pin all your sketches and notes on them up around you to have a holistic view whilst you work. Unless you print them out of course. :)

Thats what second monitors are for. ;p

Spinland
12-10-2016, 05:53 AM
Pencil and paper, but then again I'm a fifty-something old git. ;D

That's been my medium of choice since the 1970s and I ain't gonna change. I keep an artist's pad and several well-sharpened Old Skool wooden drafting pencils in my laptop case when I go to meet clients for brainstorming.

Once I have an idea knocked out well enough to do work on then I might go to the Wacom Intuos and Xara Designer Pro (competitor to Illustrator and, IMNSDHO, kicks Illy to the curb) to do a vector treatment that I can export to LW or AE as/if needed. Sometimes all I do is scan the sketches and throw them up on the reference layer.

madno
12-11-2016, 12:59 AM
Interesting,
pencil and paper seems to be the clear winner here :)

Ernest
12-11-2016, 01:48 AM
Interesting,

LOL! And people complain about LW's undo; Paper and Pencil's undo is super slow and destructive; and let's not even get into its Redo!

Surrealist.
12-11-2016, 02:29 AM
I used to use P&P, but that was more something to do with timing. I was at a point in my life where I did not have a computer. And I got into exploring my roots in art and drawing more deeply. Then when I did get a computer again, I kept going with it. And when it came to designing arch stuff it started to get rather tedious to print out references from my modeling app to draw over, then draw, scan and repeat where needed. Or just draw scan and then use in a modeling app. So then I eventually decided to get a pen and tablet. Pretty much the preferred way now. And I just use photoshop because that is where it all ends up anyway. But I really like a few of the sketching apps. Right now I don't have a preference. Though I was using sketchbook pro for a while.

bazsa73
12-11-2016, 03:46 AM
Discipline pencil and paper teaches.

Norka
12-11-2016, 07:03 AM
The only Autodesk product I have.. Sketchbook.

And guys, if you have never heard of Kuadro (free reference image viewer/organizer), you must check it out - it rocks: http://kruelgames.com/tools/kuadro/

gerry_g
12-11-2016, 07:53 AM
got back into sketching more this year too and not just 2D but 3D as in ZBrush, Sketchbook pro I find better than Photoshop because of the multiple undo's, the history pallet makes things more of a chore, have used a Wacom for over fifteen years and the separation of tablet and screen is far preferable to say the Cintiq or haptic tablet, though I have a iPad Pro and find the pencil to be exceptional I still find a thirty inch monitor hooked up to a Wacom to be the best, I started out life as an illustrator and the one great thing about digital technology is never having to stair around the edge of your hand to see what you are doing, not to mention the ingrained filth on the edge of you right hand from work that never ever seemed to scrub off completely

bazsa73
12-11-2016, 08:53 AM
got back into sketching more this year too and not just 2D but 3D as in ZBrush, Sketchbook pro I find better than Photoshop because of the multiple undo's, the history pallet makes things more of a chore, have used a Wacom for over fifteen years and the separation of tablet and screen is far preferable to say the Cintiq or haptic tablet, though I have a iPad Pro and find the pencil to be exceptional I still find a thirty inch monitor hooked up to a Wacom to be the best, I started out life as an illustrator and the one great thing about digital technology is never having to stair around the edge of your hand to see what you are doing, not to mention the ingrained filth on the edge of you right hand from work that never ever seemed to scrub off completely
I repurchased ArtRage recently, I should use it more frequently beacuse it makes nice clean strokes. As for 3D concepting I use Zbrush. And lots of paper, pencil and ink. Nowadays I try to finish my concepts or rather raise them to the next level illustrationwise so to say in a manner of speaking.

Areyos Alektor
12-11-2016, 09:07 AM
Wacom Bamboo Spark

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/smartpads/bamboo-spark

prometheus
12-11-2016, 09:15 AM
krita is free and has excellent brush presets to start sketching that simulates traditional skething with pencil or coal etc, Havenīt got me a pen tablet though so not sure how well it works with that :)
apart from sketching or painting, it has some nice kaleidoscope modes and symmetry mode..making it good to paint textures, especially face texturing, it also has some particle paint brushes and you can draw spline paths with symbols or patterns which may be useful.

the preset brushes can be edited in the edit brush menu, to change the brush attributes..angles, brush offset, density, scaling,spacing,randomness and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bKB6RCD1YU

"verve" by our well known old master Taron is also something to look at, itīs free and you can paint in fluid media as well, on the other hand, I do not like the simplified UI round button sliders for each tool, I think if he would have modified and improve that, it would be much more attractive, with preset brushes that has thumbs of the actual brush, and sliders with text instead of hovering over the round buttons and guessing.

djwaterman
12-11-2016, 11:18 AM
And guys, if you have never heard of Kuadro (free reference image viewer/organizer), you must check it out - it rocks: http://kruelgames.com/tools/kuadro/

Thanks for the tip, this looks really amazing.

jeric_synergy
12-11-2016, 11:32 AM
Interesting,
I recently acquired a book made in 1890. Perfect shape.

Paper is a very powerful technology. Walking the halls of an animation facility, with all the sketches pinned to the wall is testament to that.

Spinland
12-11-2016, 12:35 PM
I recently acquired a book made in 1890. Perfect shape.

Did it come with free updates or do you have to renew the license for that?

jeric_synergy
12-11-2016, 12:42 PM
It's a perpetual license.

Spinland
12-11-2016, 12:54 PM
It's a perpetual license.

:thumbsup:

Farhad_azer
12-11-2016, 01:33 PM
No Corel DRAW user here?

Spinland
12-11-2016, 01:44 PM
No Corel DRAW user here?

No, but my oft-mentioned friend and creative mentor writes the Inside CorelDraw books. He just sent the latest version of the manuscript to them last week, matter of fact.

Thomas Helzle
12-12-2016, 04:41 AM
Krita, Affinity Designer and -Photo.
AD has very nice vector brushes.
Sometimes Paintstorm Studio and (seldom) BlackInk.

Cheers,

Tom

Ztreem
12-12-2016, 07:44 AM
Hardware: Cintiq 21" and a wacom intous 1 A4 size, wacom intous 2 A5 size and of course pen and paper.

Software: For doodling and sketching, mischief, krita, painstorm studio, artrage. For rendering, most of the time I use photoshop.

Ztreem
12-12-2016, 07:54 AM
The only Autodesk product I have.. Sketchbook.

PureRef is also a nice reference image app.

MichaelT
12-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Don't have a Cintiq... I tried it but I don't really felt a need for it yet.

Intous 4, Photoshop, Painter, Paintstorm studio, Artrage, Black ink, mischief.
Although I mostly use Photoshop & Black Ink. I sometimes doodle using pen & paper. But that is rare these days.

I like Black Ink because it is very fast, have particles (kind of) and (for me) very easy to lay down blocks of ideas.

hrgiger
12-12-2016, 11:13 AM
One of the reasons I use Mischief is the infinite canvas. I can start sketching and dont have to worry about running out of room if my design goes bigger than I planned for. But otherwise as a painting app, its quite limited. What other drawing apps have the infinite canvas?

MichaelT
12-12-2016, 11:32 AM
One of the reasons I use Mischief is the infinite canvas. I can start sketching and dont have to worry about running out of room if my design goes bigger than I planned for. But otherwise as a painting app, its quite limited. What other drawing apps have the infinite canvas?

I think Sketchbook pro have (or at least I seem to remember it did???) But I haven't used it for some years now. So maybe that isn't the case? But otherwise I think that is a nice feature of mischief :)

Ztreem
12-12-2016, 02:21 PM
My paint have infinite canvas but I think they stopped the development.

Black ink looks very interesting...

MSherak
12-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Traditional - Paint/Pen/Pencil/Charcoal/Airbrush

Digital - Surface Pro3/Monoprice 22" - Painter/Clip Studio/PaintStorm/Sketchable/Krita

Digital Clay - 3D Coat

Danner
12-12-2016, 04:55 PM
A 9 year old wacom with photoshop at work and a surface pro and a bunch of free ones at home.

toeknee
12-12-2016, 05:10 PM
I am actually very surprised that no one talked about Verve here. This is a free tool created by Taron. It uses fluid dynamics to manipulate the brushes. Here is the link.
I think it is PC only but I could be wrong.
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=e0120506b92f76a55b32f5609be89230

MichaelT
12-12-2016, 07:21 PM
I am actually very surprised that no one talked about Verve here. This is a free tool created by Taron. It uses fluid dynamics to manipulate the brushes. Here is the link.
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=e0120506b92f76a55b32f5609be89230

Tried it, but my AV screams bloody murder every time. So I got tired of it, and removed it.
I'm certain the program is OK. He probably uses something like kkrunchy in it, to protect his code.
Unfortunately, that tool is also commonly used by malware for the same reason :/

Please do note I said 'like', doesn't imply he used that particular tool. I am implying he probably
uses the same (or similar) tool, that happens to also be used by malware creators.

prometheus
12-13-2016, 11:59 AM
"verve" by our well known old master Taron is also something to look at, itīs free and you can paint in fluid media as well, on the other hand, I do not like the simplified UI round button sliders for each tool, I think if he would have modified and improve that, it would be much more attractive, with preset brushes that has thumbs of the actual brush, and sliders with text instead of hovering over the round buttons and guessing.

I am actually surprised no one reads all posts, letter by letter here on these forums:D
I did mention verve as you can see in my own qoute....Got you:D
I also mentioned why I am not fond of the UI of verve compared to krita, also the plugin was often warned and excluded by antivirus, though I am pretty sure it wasnīt anything wrong with it..if that happens, exclude it from your warnings by making an exception in your antivirus software.

Itīs painting with fluids is fantastic though..even though I donīt like the button controls which you have to guess upon, unless using it extensivly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCii5iHp7o

prometheus
12-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Tried it, but my AV screams bloody murder every time. So I got tired of it, and removed it.
I'm certain the program is OK. He probably uses something like kkrunchy in it, to protect his code.
Unfortunately, that tool is also commonly used by malware for the same reason :/

Please do note I said 'like', doesn't imply he used that particular tool. I am implying he probably
uses the same (or similar) tool, that happens to also be used by malware creators.

I think that issue with virus varning may be a huge factor the software hasnīt spread more than it has, that along with the old kai style guess button sliders...a shame, otherwise taron is sort of a multi genius, and a great artist.
As I mentioned in my post above..one may need to exclude it while downloading it, and even after I had done so, avast removed it from my computer anyway just like that at some scanning..so I think I had to put two exclusions in avast to get it to work.