PDA

View Full Version : Guide Hair on an MDD object?

Oldcode
12-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Hey guys,

I've asked about this before, and got a lot of good advice. I've learned a lot about how to create hair guides and use bullet to make them move. But the main problem still is holding me up.

I use Poser to animate DAZ characters, then via PoserFusion, import the geometry and animation data into Lightwave. This is good for us poor schmucks who can't seem to master rigging a decent humanoid character. The only thing that does not get imported into Lightwave from Poser is Poser's Dynamic Hair.

What I want to do use hair guides in Modeler to give my DAZ/Poser figures moving hair. You can use FiberFx within Layout to apply hair, but for a number of reasons, its only good for short hair styles. If you want long hair styled a certain way, you need dynamic hair guides.

Now, when I import a poser figure into Lightwave, it creates a LWO object of the character for the geometry and deforms the character much the way a MDD file does. Now you can use Poser's animation data, or save the motion as a real MDD file and turn off the Poser movement.

Either way, if you go into modeler and try to apply hair guides, they will not follow the geometry as it is deformed by the MDD.

Anybody know of a way to make the hair guides follow the rest of the geometry?

Thanks in advance,

bobakabob
12-10-2016, 03:41 AM
Check this discussion out. Never tried it but you can use FX Metalink
http://forums.newtek.com/archive/index.php/t-75206.html
Have you thought of checking out RHiggit or Genoma? They are very straightforward to use and it would save a lot of time setting up scenes.

Spinland
12-10-2016, 06:00 AM
Have you thought of checking out RHiggit or Genoma? They are very straightforward to use and it would save a lot of time setting up scenes.

Right on. I know this sidesteps the primary issue but I often grab a DAZ asset when time is pressing, then export the FBX via Daz Studio (or Poser Pro) and rig/animate that in LW using Rhiggit Pro. When you do the export right you even retain all of the expression morphs which saves a ton of FA time. Rigging a figure (with RHiggit) takes less than an hour not counting tweaking the maps and hold bones (and now you can do all the map tweaking in Layout).

LW kinda sucks at handling such high-poly models but it's workable. Once the model's in LW I can use any tool I want, including Cage Deformer/Syflex for near-perfect cloth and hair dynamics.

Oldcode
12-10-2016, 08:18 AM
Hey Guys! :hey: Thanks a lot for the info. I've tried all tricks with RHiggit and other stuff, but I just could not seem to get the hang of it, and now, there's no need! :D

Bobakabob, in the thread you linked above, one of the people mentioned Parent2Point. Well, did a quick search on that and found this video by Bugzilla2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TKCdftEM-c&feature=youtu.be

I cannot believe the answer was right there in Lightwave all along and its so easy!!!! :dance: :rock:

Thanks again for your help! :bowdown: This problem has been holding me up on doing the kind of projects I really want to do. :bangwall:

Spinland
12-10-2016, 08:45 AM
:thumbsup: :beerchug:

Oldcode
12-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Hey Guys,

Here's a little test shot I did. The hair is not dynamic yet, but the idea was to test the skull cap. Thanks to the parent to point plugin, it follows the girl's head exactly! :D The next step is to use a proxy head and chest model parented to the girl as a collision object for the hair guides. Now, I just have to remember how to do that. I had kind of given up on learning how to animate hair guides using Bullet or anything else. No point is you can't keep the hair attached to the head.

Thanks again!

Oldcode
12-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Hey Guys,

Here's the first good test I have with this new technique parenting hair guides to a poser figure and animating the guides using ClothFX. It still needs work. I'm trying to understand the best way to setup the guides. In this case, I think it needs more guides on the side of the head, and still figuring out the best setting for ClothFX.

Are there any tutorials out there for animating the hair guides with eithr Bullet or Syflex?

Thanks,

stiff paper
12-18-2016, 06:27 AM
Are there any tutorials out there for animating the hair guides with eithr Bullet or Syflex?
Greenlaw has a couple of YT vids that might help:
https://www.youtube.com/user/LGDTestTube/videos

Check out "Sister hair test using Bullet..." and "LightWave 11 FiberFX walkthrough..."

Oldcode
12-18-2016, 06:41 AM
Thanks! Looks like he's using a weight map to anchor the guides to the head. I'll have to look into that. And, base on what he did, looks like I need a lot more guides for both control and to fill the entire scalp with hairs.