PDA

View Full Version : Help me speed up rendering.

djwaterman
12-08-2016, 11:15 PM
Hi, I'm sure I've posted similar in the past, but right now I could really do with faster rendering and need some advice on upgrading my existing PC. Funds are limited of course, and I really don't know anything so I will take any advice from anyone who knows what they're talking about. Here are some specs.

What could I do to boost this configurations to speed up rendering?

Lewis
12-09-2016, 01:20 AM
Hi

There is very little you can do here 'coz you opted for i7 4770 and not i7 4770K so your CPU multiplier is LOCKED.

For "K" versions you could overclock it easily to 4.3-4.5GHZ just by changing multiplier and adjusting voltage.

But in your case for regular i7 4770 only thing you can do to overlcock it increase BLCK slightly above 100MHz but you probably won't be able to go much further, best case scenario around 110 (usually it's stable around 105-107 depending on MB and on very good picks of CPU/MB combo it can for to 112 MHz.

That would essentially give you 250-350 MHz more of CPU speed.

OFC that's if you don't want to spend more money :). If you want to spend more then get i7 4790K which is strongest in Haswell lineup which is 4GHZ base and 4.4GHZ Turbo.

Amerelium
12-09-2016, 01:25 AM
What about LW render settings?

I just sliced my render times in half by reducing radiosity RpE and increasing AA samples to compensate.

Halved them again by killing all caustics

djwaterman
12-09-2016, 02:58 AM
Thanks guys, Lewis, I assume replacing the CPU is fairly low drama, like it won't effect programs and stuff right? I'm not a computer guy so my assumptions are based on nothing much.

Lewis
12-09-2016, 03:51 AM
Replacing CPU with faster one is fairly easy if your case is accessible (you need some maneuvering space for uninstalling fan and CPU and then reverting it back).

bazsa73
12-09-2016, 06:21 AM
Thanks guys, Lewis, I assume replacing the CPU is fairly low drama, like it won't effect programs and stuff right? I'm not a computer guy so my assumptions are based on nothing much.

If you have Zbrush, deactivate the license before replacement.

rustythe1
12-09-2016, 06:45 AM
also you may have to get a new windows lic as it may think you have a new PC but its not always the case

Lewis
12-09-2016, 07:00 AM
Nahh that is more when you change Motherboard/Network MAC address. Since win7 it's more loose, i changed lot of CPUs and GPUs in several machine (win7 win8 win 10) with no problem. In past with windows XP even overclocking CPU sometime confused windows as it's new PC :D.

Zerowaitstate
12-09-2016, 09:27 AM
Depending on the size of your scenes, bumping the size of your ram can minimize your disk caching.

The ram frequency 799 seems pretty low ( this can be managed in bios & should match the speeds marked on the sticks)

Lewis
12-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Depending on the size of your scenes, bumping the size of your ram can minimize your disk caching.

The ram frequency 799 seems pretty low ( this can be managed in bios & should match the speeds marked on the sticks)

His RAM is DDR3 so that's 2400MHZ memory (800 * 3)

m.d.
12-09-2016, 03:42 PM
I am running a cheap self contained CPU liquid cooler, and bumped CPU speeds from 3.33 to 4ghz per core and never going above 55c with 100% CPU usage. On my 6 core machine this is a boost from under 20ghz total power to 24ghz. Fairly significant boost

The cooler was about $65 I believe....
Render tuning is the way to go though

Airwaves
12-09-2016, 05:17 PM
I am sure you have seen youtube videos of cheap server builds but that is what I did and I love it! I have a dual xeon setup and it is great for rendering. In fact it keeps pace with my render farm which is just 3 six core computers I had built a while ago. The scariest part of the whole thing was getting used parts but I have not had any problems so far.

Best of luck.

Amerelium
12-10-2016, 04:20 AM
I'm running on a i7 4790K Devil's Canyon, (4x4GHz, lcocked to 4,5 when rendering); still just about the fastest 'standard' CPU around that ain't really expensive. A good choise if you MB can take it. Mind you, LW speed increases are pretty linear, so it's easy to estimate you speed gain.

As for amount of RAM, LW is pretty easy, you either have enough or you don't, and it is easy to see if you don't; LW grinds to a complete halt when it runs out of physical memory. Rendering itself doesn't use that much, you just have to make sure you have enough to load the models. I had to increase mine to 32 GB for my models; once 16 wasn't enought anymore I couldn't work them at all.

Sensei
12-10-2016, 05:13 PM
What could I do to boost this configurations to speed up rendering?

How big are your scenes? Are you using built-in renderer or 3rd party? Utilizing GPU?
If they fit in 3 GB, you could render using 32 bit version of Layout, and it will speed up 15-30%.

If you're rendering static (without moving parts) archiviz scenes, maybe perhaps rethink baking image maps from light sources, baking environment maps instead of ray-traced reflections..
Everything what replaces ray-tracing by f.e. baked or cached stuff, will speed up rendering.

spherical
12-10-2016, 08:04 PM
How big are your scenes? If they fit in 3 GB, you could render using 32 bit version of Layout, and it will speed up 15-30%.

Really? I gotta go try this out on our new barn studio scenes. I had heard that 32-bit was faster, but now where it was faster or by how much.

Sensei
12-10-2016, 11:56 PM
Really? I gotta go try this out on our new barn studio scenes. I had heard that 32-bit was faster, but now where it was faster or by how much.

Depends on scene.
Obviously if scene is starting using virtual memory, whatever is earned on smaller data transfer from/to cache/physical memory will be lost on disk transfer..

64 bit rendered in 1313 seconds,
32 bit rendered in 1166 seconds,
(approximately 13% faster)

djwaterman
12-11-2016, 11:25 AM
Hey Sensei, thanks for that information. How does one find out the size of a scene?

erikals
12-11-2016, 03:12 PM
half rendertime trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCJw2uDYpaE

S0nny
12-12-2016, 02:08 AM
As other stated there is very little you can do with your config. The best you can do is update your core hardware all together (mobo+cpu and ram eventually), you will not get much improvement on that chipset changing the cpu with a powerfull one. It doesn't worth because simply because LGA1150 cpu doesn't exist in more than 4c/8t, you'll gain nothing more than some little %. It is a very slow cpu for this kind of task.

Personally I update my hw only when I can get at least 100% or more increment in speed (= double the performance), otherwise it doesn't even worth the work of re-install everything.

In your case, if your budget is a concern, you can look at the x79 motherboards witi i7 6c/12t or 8c/12t cores or xeon v0/v1/v2, but the best choice right now is x99 (you'll need ddr4 ram for this) with come new i7 or xeons v3 or v4. Talking about single cpu machines here.

Choosing the right cpu is very easy task, really, just look at the price and the best cinebench R15 score for that cpu in that range, you have just two sockets to choose from, LGA2011-1 (x79 chipset) and LGA 2011-3 (x99 chipset).
You'll have a very good indicator for the performance: if, for example, your cpu scores 700 cinebench score, you can look for a 1400 cinebench score one, and you'll double the performance.

Pro tip: for rendering the more the cpu cores, the better.

sadkkf
12-14-2016, 08:08 AM
Replacing CPU with faster one is fairly easy if your case is accessible (you need some maneuvering space for uninstalling fan and CPU and then reverting it back).

Be careful with this. Make sure you really clean the old thermal paste from the CPU and heat sink before reapplying it.

MichaelT
12-14-2016, 08:44 AM
Use all threads, Cut down on bounces, don't go overboard fine fine samples, and don't skip on the importance sampling etc.. The hardware itself is a bit slim. But speeding up rendering, is usually best controlled by tweaking the settings. Since you have a weaker set.. then set it to lowest quality possible, and tweak things up from there. You should find a sweet spot quickly enough.

vonpietro
12-16-2016, 10:53 AM
DJ - HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THE Z800 OR THE DELL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Build-Your-Own-Dell-T7600-16-Core-Workstation-H310-No-OS-Save-A-Lot-of-Money-/182379647849?var=&hash=item2a76ac9369:m:mEEIZ0Wpd4zsmIrRvdpEsNg

TEHSE ARE 16 CORE 128 GIGG MONSTERS THAT ARE AVAILABLE FOR A SONG.
CHECK IT OUT DJ.

ALSO FOR RENDERS - balance of AA of course, plus light and shading samples - my first place to balance it all is there - typically i use 2 for shading, and 4 or 5 for lighting because i use alot of area lights. Once i set these, THEN and only THEN do i set the AA, as lighting and shading higher values mean i can have lower AA setting.