PDA

View Full Version : Hurleyworks Holiday Sale

hurley
12-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Hi everybody

Just a quick note to let you know we're running a 50% off Holdiay Special until December 25.

AdvancedPlacement is $99 instead of $199
PlaceIt is $24 instead of $48
SNip3 is $18 instead of $36

PlaceIt is a new plugin that we've had several requests for. It's AdvancedPlacement without the instancing system. So if you already own AP then there's no need to get PlaceIt too unless you just want to support your local, farm raised LW plugin developer :)

Happy Holidays!

-Steve

calilifestyle
12-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Sweet and thanks for adding that note about Placeit. i was like so confused at 1st

Norka
12-08-2016, 03:09 PM
Hey Steve, I'm REALLY interested in LWRemodeler.. How is that coming? Do you expect to be out of beta soon. 3RD Powers has eliminated 50% of my need to jump into ZB.. please give me yet another 20-30% ability to stay in LW.

Also, (unless I dreamed this or something) I think that a ways back I asked about AP with (Octane or LW) displaced terrain, and there was no way to stick AP stuff unless terrain was frozen.. and this was a deal-breaker for me. Is this still the case (if it were to begin with)?

kei_ch
12-08-2016, 11:41 PM
Does AdvancedPlacement work on LW11.6 ?
thank you :)

vipvip242
12-09-2016, 12:43 AM
Hi Steve,
does your batch-render tool work with octane render ?
thanks
Vincent

hurley
12-10-2016, 05:59 AM
Hey Steve, I'm REALLY interested in LWRemodeler.. How is that coming? Do you expect to be out of beta soon. 3RD Powers has eliminated 50% of my need to jump into ZB.. please give me yet another 20-30% ability to stay in LW

I got snagged on something and put on the back burner for a while but I'm back working on it now. I hope to have it finished in the next week or so.

Also, (unless I dreamed this or something) I think that a ways back I asked about AP with (Octane or LW) displaced terrain, and there was no way to stick AP stuff unless terrain was frozen.. and this was a deal-breaker for me. Is this still the case (if it were to begin with)?

It might have been true in earlier versions of AP but not in the current version. But due to limitations of the LW SDK, it's hard for AP to handle interactive changes of displacements though. AP now has a "Rescan LW geometry" button for cases where it's apparent that AP is not using the same displaced mesh that LW is using.

- - - Updated - - -

Does AdvancedPlacement work on LW11.6 ?
thank you :)

Sorry, no. Earlier versions did but the latest versions only work with LW2015

hurley
12-10-2016, 06:02 AM
Hi Steve,
does your batch-render tool work with octane render ?
thanks
Vincent

Hi Vincent,

It should work with any render plugin in LW but I haven't tested to make sure. There's a demo version of SNip3 that you can try first to make sure it does.

Julez4001
12-10-2016, 06:13 AM
What's LWRemodeler?

Spinland
12-10-2016, 06:20 AM
What's LWRemodeler?

http://hurleyworks.com/wordpress/portfolio/remodeler/

Spinland
12-10-2016, 06:23 AM
Based on my impression of the demo video this will totally rock for creating low-poly proxy objects. I do a lot of Cage Deformer/Syflex dynamics in my character animation gigs now, and currently use Heat Shrink Plus to fit hand-rolled proxies. I'm very interested in trying this concept out.

Norka
12-10-2016, 07:06 AM
You will not be limited to proxy objects. I played around with IGL's Instant Meshes which LWRemodeler is built upon. You'll be able to remesh into wonderful game-ready and WebGL meshes, and they get even better when one takes the time to draw guides.

Steve, I'm sure you had your reasons why this needed to be a Layout plug, but dang, would have been sweet if it could have been in Modeler...

Spinland
12-10-2016, 07:47 AM
You will not be limited to proxy objects. I played around with IGL's Instant Meshes which LWRemodeler is built upon. You'll be able to remesh into wonderful game-ready and WebGL meshes, and they get even better when one takes the time to draw guides.

Wow. So, roughly similar to 3D Coat's autoretopo, but entirely within LW. Yow, yeah. If possible I'm even more excited at the prospect.

Do you have an idea of how it treats existing UV mappings?

hurley
12-10-2016, 08:02 AM
Steve, I'm sure you had your reasons why this needed to be a Layout plug, but dang, would have been sweet if it could have been in Modeler..

I originally tried to make it a Modeler tool but couldn't get guide painting to update interactively in Modeler's viewport. So I had to move to Layout where the LWSDK offers more options for dealing with async updates. One problem with using LW's viewport is that I can't use the custom gpu shaders that come with InstantMeshes. Luckily, it's so dang fast anyway it's probably not going to be too much of an issue :)

hurley
12-10-2016, 08:05 AM
Wow. So, roughly similar to 3D Coat's autoretopo, but entirely within LW. Yow, yeah. If possible I'm even more excited at the prospect.

Do you have an idea of how it treats existing UV mappings?

Instant Meshes doesn't support any vmap or surface re-mapping. I'm trying to add as much support as I can in LWRemodeler

Spinland
12-10-2016, 08:37 AM
Instant Meshes doesn't support any vmap or surface re-mapping. I'm trying to add as much support as I can in LWRemodeler

Cool, thanks for the info, Steve. I figured that would have been an awfully tough nut to crack but I'm never averse to hoping for miracles. :D

Besides, that's why the FSM gave us 3D Coat. :rock:

vipvip242
12-10-2016, 10:52 AM
Hi Vincent,

It should work with any render plugin in LW but I haven't tested to make sure. There's a demo version of SNip3 that you can try first to make sure it does.

thanks, i'll have a look on the demo a bit later
Regards

vonpietro
12-12-2016, 11:41 PM
place it is pretty nice - =)

kei_ch
12-13-2016, 02:27 AM
Thank you for reply.
I'm good to know that :)

JohnMarchant
12-13-2016, 04:27 AM
Looking forward to LWRemodeler immensely Steve

Norka
12-20-2016, 04:57 PM
Steve, is LWRemodeler possibly going to be released soon -- and maybe with a xmas discount?

jwiede
12-20-2016, 08:59 PM
One problem with using LW's viewport is that I can't use the custom gpu shaders that come with InstantMeshes.

Not even via CgFX?

hurley
12-21-2016, 02:44 PM
Steve, is LWRemodeler possibly going to be released soon -- and maybe with a xmas discount?

I'm trying but doesn't really look good for Christmas but I should make it by New Years. I'll just extent the sale until Jan 1 if it's not ready by the weekend.

hurley
12-21-2016, 02:50 PM
Not even via CgFX?

No, AFAIK, a plugin can't change any opengl state in a LW viewport. I can do anything I want in my own SDK opengl window though and I originally took that route in earlier versions of LWRemodeler but I'd prefer to keep the plugin integrated in Layout if I can.

JohnMarchant
12-21-2016, 03:19 PM
I'm trying but doesn't really look good for Christmas but I should make it by New Years. I'll just extent the sale until Jan 1 if it's not ready by the weekend.

Oh yes please, i cant wait.

jwiede
12-21-2016, 04:43 PM

I would also definitely appreciate that, as I'm also interested in LWRemodeler.

Norka
12-22-2016, 07:03 AM
Another question Steve: Will LWRemodeler be able to handle ngons, or do we need to triple, make poles, etc first? Just curious.

hurley
12-22-2016, 11:09 AM
Another question Steve: Will LWRemodeler be able to handle ngons, or do we need to triple, make poles, etc first? Just curious.

LWRemodeler automatically triples simple ngons in it's preprocessing step. My triangulation code does not handle ngons with "holes" well so in those cases it's best to triple ngons in Modeler first

jwiede
12-22-2016, 12:42 PM
Steve, speaking of new algorithms, have you ever considered adding automated convex mesh decomposition (akin to V-HADC (http://kmamou.blogspot.com/2011/10/hacd-hierarchical-approximate-convex.html), HADC (related) (http://sourceforge.net/projects/hacd/), etc.) to Advanced Placement (as a prep operation before RBD or export)?

Esp. for users intending to produce assets for game engines, there's definitely a value (f.e. there are experimental Blender extensions for it, as pre-processors to Blender's Bullet integration, game engine use, etc.). This came up over in the "Noodles" thread, but the more I thought about it, the more I could see value in something like HADC (also) being available on LW as a pre-process for Bullet RBD, or export to game engines. Seemed a good fit with AP, so figured I'd ask. Thanks!

hurley
12-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Steve, speaking of new algorithms, have you ever considered adding automated convex mesh decomposition (akin to V-HADC (http://kmamou.blogspot.com/2011/10/hacd-hierarchical-approximate-convex.html), HADC (related) (http://sourceforge.net/projects/hacd/), etc.) to Advanced Placement (as a prep operation before RBD or export)?

Esp. for users intending to produce assets for game engines, there's definitely a value (f.e. there are experimental Blender extensions for it, as pre-processors to Blender's Bullet integration, game engine use, etc.). This came up over in the "Noodles" thread, but the more I thought about it, the more I could see value in something like HADC (also) being available on LW as a pre-process for Bullet RBD, or export to game engines. Seemed a good fit with AP, so figured I'd ask. Thanks!

AP has been using some version of HACD since the beginning for it's Composite collision shape. These days it uses V-HACD version 2 ... although I never could get the openCL version to work in LW. If you turn on the Display->Display Collision Shape option you can see the different convex hulls used in the Composite shape visualized with different colors.

One feature that makes Bullet unique among physics engines like Newton and PhysX, is that it has it's own dynamic mesh collision shape that makes using the extra preprocessing step of making a stand-in mesh composed of smaller convex meshes unnecessary.

calilifestyle
12-22-2016, 06:13 PM
Hi Hurley, I think your website is down. At least on my side it says it can't be reached.

spherical
12-22-2016, 09:40 PM
Hi Hurley, I think your website is down. At least on my side it says it can't be reached.

Loads here.

jwiede
12-23-2016, 05:17 AM
AP has been using some version of HACD since the beginning for it's Composite collision shape. These days it uses V-HACD version 2 ... although I never could get the openCL version to work in LW. If you turn on the Display->Display Collision Shape option you can see the different convex hulls used in the Composite shape visualized with different colors.

I wondered if that might already be the case internally. Even so, that doesn't quite satisfy my request -- my request is that users be able to get a post-HACD-processed separated mesh as output, for subsequent use/export (f.e. for game engines).

Also, even though Bullet does its own decomposition, there are still benefits in being able to assign properties to certain hull groups manually, or control interconnections specifically, so being able to pass in a pre-decomposed mesh still seems useful. A possible catch in LW2015 is that (IIRC) Bullet's convex hull collision shape type isn't working properly. OTOH, presumably those shapes will be working again in LW.Next, and hopefully the general performance issue will also be fixed.

If you've already got the V-HADC2 code integrated, seems like exporting decomposed mesh as output (as parts group or whatever) should be a reasonably direct addition.

hurley
12-31-2016, 08:59 AM
If you've already got the V-HADC2 code integrated, seems like exporting decomposed mesh as output (as parts group or whatever) should be a reasonably direct addition.

Yes, it should be pretty easy to add an export to HACD option. I'll put it in the next AP maintenance update that I'm working now.

Just a reminder that today is the last day of the 1/2 price sale. LWRemodeler is not ready yet but I'll have a 1/2 launch special when it's done. Here's the latest demo video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkBXfnxcV8g) showing the quick extract mode that you'd use for preview or when you don't need to interactively edit the reduction solution.

Happy New Year!

jwiede
12-31-2016, 06:09 PM
LWRemodeler is not ready yet but I'll have a 1/2 launch special when it's done.

Greatly appreciated (along with HACD output), thanks!

Snosrap
12-31-2016, 11:23 PM
Here's the latest demo video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkBXfnxcV8g) showing the quick extract mode that you'd use for preview or when you don't need to interactively edit the reduction solution.

Holy crap!! How is that possible in Layout or Lightwave for that matter? !!

CaptainMarlowe
01-01-2017, 12:12 AM
Wow, each new video gets more excited about remesher. That's an incredible work you did here.

hurley
01-01-2017, 10:15 PM
First attempt at preserving UV maps (https://youtu.be/-pbLhc1KI5w)came out better than I had hoped. :)

Spinland
01-02-2017, 05:53 AM
:beerchug:

Norka
01-02-2017, 06:07 AM
That is really looking great Steve! I'm gonna toss an idea out there, that I came up with while watching you slide those around and move them out of the way etc, which is not terribly elegant... What if you had an option to do 3, 4, 5 different levels of remeshing all at once, with a spacing offset? This would be very similar to making clones in modeler (but each remeshed, obviously). So if you pop in 30-80, it would reduce copies between those numbers, divided by number of copies. After perusing different remeshes, you just delete the ones you don't want. And if this caused a waiting time to compute, I personally would not mind at all.

Spinland
01-02-2017, 06:17 AM
I think I'm gonna rename your "belize ball" an "amazeball." :jester:

jwiede
01-02-2017, 06:52 PM
First attempt at preserving UV maps (https://youtu.be/-pbLhc1KI5w)came out better than I had hoped. :)

That's looking really great, can't wait to give it a try!

hurley
01-03-2017, 10:34 AM
That is really looking great Steve! I'm gonna toss an idea out there, that I came up with while watching you slide those around and move them out of the way etc, which is not terribly elegant... What if you had an option to do 3, 4, 5 different levels of remeshing all at once, with a spacing offset? This would be very similar to making clones in modeler (but each remeshed, obviously). So if you pop in 30-80, it would reduce copies between those numbers, divided by number of copies. After perusing different remeshes, you just delete the ones you don't want. And if this caused a waiting time to compute, I personally would not mind at all.

I thought this might be a good idea but after trying it out (https://youtu.be/f0TXDfCxMVE), I'm not so sure. Seems a bit too slow and clunky to me. In previous videos, I was creating multiple meshes just to show off the different types of output solutions that are available from InstantMeshes. I think the best workflow will be to use the LWRemodeler's opengl preivew( the orange wireframe mesh ) to try out different reduction settings and output polygon types before going ahead with either editing or creating the final LW Mesh. That would eliminate the need to wait and see the results of several settings at once.

GraphXs
01-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Nice! like the vmap color thing, wish we could export that to Unity? Does anyone know if that is possible?

Norka
01-03-2017, 11:43 AM
I thought this might be a good idea but after trying it out (https://youtu.be/f0TXDfCxMVE), I'm not so sure. Seems a bit too slow and clunky to me. In previous videos, I was creating multiple meshes just to show off the different types of output solutions that are available from InstantMeshes. I think the best workflow will be to use the LWRemodeler's opengl preivew( the orange wireframe mesh ) to try out different reduction settings and output polygon types before going ahead with either editing or creating the final LW Mesh. That would eliminate the need to wait and see the results of several settings at once.

Wow! I'm pretty impressed that you got that in there so fast! Thanks for at least taking this idea into consideration Steve. Didn't seem too clunky to me, but I'm sure that the video does not convey what the responsiveness is like. Did it feel clunky with even as few as three remeshes? It just seems to me that having the option could still be cool. I have never done any LOD stuff, but could this not be used for that too, if folks wanted to use this option? And what kind of workstation do you have? For all we know, your rig is a total puss.

jwiede
01-03-2017, 01:13 PM

Yeah, that looks clunky to me as well, I definitely like it better the way it was working previously.

If it were possible to put up some kind of pop-over with different versions of the OGL mesh (the orange mesh) at different levels, that might work better for that workflow, perhaps. I tend to agree with the workflow you mentioned, though, where you get the wireframe looking the way you want first, then generate it. If I had doubts about texturing integrity I might want to see that, but it seems like the texturing is rock solid in each case (as seen in the prior video). There's not enough variation, IMO, to merit the need to preview texturing at different levels of reduction.

Norka
02-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Steve, are you launching LWRemodeler today?!!! I just happened to go to your LWRemodeler page just now, and see that it has been updated and has a new video. And no longer says beta etc... Slap the Buy Now button on and let me buy it please! (I believe you said it would be a sale price, since holiday sale of this did not happen)

hurley
02-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Steve, are you launching LWRemodeler today?!!! I just happened to go to your LWRemodeler page just now, and see that it has been updated and has a new video. And no longer says beta etc... Slap the Buy Now button on and let me buy it please! (I believe you said it would be a sale price, since holiday sale of this did not happen)

Done. :)

Spinland
02-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Badda bing: shaddup and take my money—oops, you just did. :jam: