PDA

View Full Version : Recording Formats

Radio_TVPat1982
12-08-2016, 11:11 AM
I'm looking for some advice on my workflow going forward. I have a Mini and use it mostly for live sports. I stream mostly to Youtube Live and to Facebook Live. I stream at 720 but record at 1080i. My cameras are not anything special, just a combination of Sony and Panasonic cameras. They dont output 1080p but right now that is OK I am fine with that. I do plan to upgrade down the line.

My question is storage related though. I plan to purchase an external drive for recording two additional channels of replay. Right now I am recording a clean program out and the master dirty in a H264 format. Should I drop the 4 ISO recordings to 720 to save space? I am already streaming and archiving on those streams at 720. Would it really make a lot of difference? I have the cheaper Mini and dont want to max out my space and have the unit miss something or run slow.

I also have an external encoded but have only used it once since the H264 feature was added back in AE2 recently. Basically serves as a backup that travels with me.

I love being able to use the AE replay features in the Tricaster. It has worked much better than I thought it would. I want to take it to 4 channels of replay but dont want to risk having the unit respond bad if it cant keep up.

JPulera
12-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Hi Pat,

Regardless of Session resolution, camera ISO recordings are always recorded in native resolution, meaning if sources into TriCaster are 1080i, and Session is 720p, ISO recordings will still be 1080i - you can't change that. However, the PROGRAM recording would match Session at 720p. It's possible that 720p recordings may use a little less drive space - have not tested - but recording resolution should not really affect computer processing requirements, just drive space perhaps.

Our company does offer a 4-channel replay controller for TriCasters with AE installed, let me know if you need information. We have many units in the field and no complaints of recording/playback issues using 4-channel replay with Mini. As long as you have plenty of space on fast, defragged drives, should not be an issue, Mini was designed to record 4 channels.

If you get an external drive, get something with USB 3.0 specifically meant for media production, such as G-Tech G-Drive, Glyph Studio or Black Box (ruggedized) or LaCie D2.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Radio_TVPat1982
12-08-2016, 01:31 PM
That is great info to know on the sessions. I did already purchase a X-keys unit and I am building it out now. I am pretty good with Macros having built them on some other systems. Your unit looks great though and I would recommend it to anyone needing a turn key solution! I do plan to get the 2TB G-Tech hard drive you mentioned and linked from Safe Harbor. Looks like the best option and I can't wait to expand.

You did mention a defragmented drive, should I be defraging these drives every so often? I have some issue on my C drive where I don't have much space. It was enough yesterday to turn it red with a warning. The time before last I updated I did not even have eno ugh space to run the update. All I have are maybe 25 image files, and like 10 small MP3 files. Everything else is just whatever game on the system.

JPulera
12-08-2016, 02:06 PM
I've never seen the C: drive on any TriCaster get anywhere near full. I would never put anything at all on there that doesn't belong though. Any images, audio or video assets should be going on D: drive, and/or E: if you have it, those are the media drives.

For Media Drives, if deleting or moving recordings to other drives after each job, then may not need to defrag, just keep it clean, but if you get a lot of remaining files built up over time, then occasional defrag can't hurt.

I know from previous posts that you like tinkering with Xkeys, so figured you would be configuring your own controller ;-)

So much more fun with AE, lots more flexibility with replay, changing clip lengths in DDR, etc.

Thanks

Jeff

Radio_TVPat1982
12-09-2016, 06:55 AM
I know from previous posts that you like tinkering with Xkeys, so figured you would be configuring your own controller ;-)

Yeah, I got most of the major functions on my X Keys replay unit build. Still need to do some other things like creating a plus 1,3,5, second to the front end of a replay. Also some "copy to Bin" options to easily save files for a highlight packages.

Since you probably know this AE2 Replay better than anyone, do you know if people normally label/rename clips as they go like a tagging process? I know no matter what I do, I am not going to turn this in to a 3play but I am trying to get things to run similar to the original 330 system.

I put together a small couple minute long melt after a game a couple nights ago and I was amazed the positive feedback I got. It was so simple. I got home with my clips already marked. I adjusted the lengths. Dumped a few that were not highlights but close calls like block/charge calls and then I added music and an opening & closing title slide. It was simple and streamlined!

JPulera
12-09-2016, 07:48 AM
I'm also not trying to recreate a 3Play. I'd given the tagging/organizing thing some thought, but did not seem really workable given the available Macro command set. Would basically require some manual work from user to mouse-click clips in bin and manually change names or whatever, or move to different bins. Really outside the scope of what I was going for with the controller. More for basic instant replay on the fly and not for building highlight reels at all, though it could be done after the fact manually if user is so inclined.

Thanks

Jeff

Radio_TVPat1982
12-09-2016, 08:32 AM
Yeah. I have already been manually using control C and Control V pasting to Bins for packages. It works OK. In my main Bin I Keep all the highlights. The one by one I copy good ones over to Bins. I have a Bin build for home and away teams but would like more. Things labeled for like Turnovers in football or key plays or even a certain focal player. I already have the transition in the bin ready to go so it makes it easy to transition in and out.

I mentioned a couple weeks ago on a thread how it would be nice to be able to assign a color to a clip then make a bin a certain color. The way things worked with the 3Play 330. It would be awesome! Say all red for home and all blue for away. You could then assign say ben 9 to Red and 10 to Blue or something like that. Let me ask you one more thing. Now that change angle how gone away, what do most of your clients do chop all 4 angles and have each on drop down to the DDR?

JPulera
12-09-2016, 09:34 AM
I considered having chop add all 4 angles at once, but that creates an extra step for operator before playback - they would need to select which of the 4 to use and bin quickly gets very full/complicated!

So operator just chooses 1-4 to chop. Would be super-easy to alter to do multiple chops at once if desired though

Thanks

Jeff

Radio_TVPat1982
12-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Yeah that is how I have mine setup chop a single angle 1-4 or chop all. Not running 4 angles yet but also dont really want 4 separate files added to the DDR each time. That would be soooooooo confusing. I am hoping they bring back change angle. That would be ideal. Thanks Jeff as always you are so helpful to the forum its always good to have your advise! I can honestly say most of everything I learn new on a Tricaster comes from here or Youtube!

JPulera
12-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Glad to assist, love "talking shop" with other users! I learn a great deal from forums as well.

Jeff