PDA

View Full Version : Affinity Photo for Windows available now!

Marander
12-08-2016, 07:41 AM
Affinity Photo for Windows available now! $39.99. Bought instantly, no more need for PhotoShop for me (actually never had it). Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo, PaintShop Pro and Photoline are perfect for me.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

allabulle
12-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Got it too. Interesting software.

erikals
12-09-2016, 05:56 PM
Grrrreat News!    http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/arteest.gif

omichon
12-10-2016, 02:52 AM
Tough luck it requires aero to run :\
This is the first time I see such requirement for an application to run on Windows.

rustythe1
12-10-2016, 03:09 AM
if you sign up (not sure what too but I get emails) its half price for launch, so for you should only be about $20 (its 30 over here)

erikals
12-10-2016, 03:51 AM
Tough luck it requires aero to run :\
This is the first time I see such requirement for an application to run on Windows.

maybe use Aero, and tweak the theme to be more like "classic" ?

thought it was kinda weird, but the reason is this...
https://affinity.serif.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21572-why-aero-is-really-important/?p=100971

omichon
12-10-2016, 04:25 AM
maybe use Aero, and tweak the theme to be more like "classic" ?

thought it was kinda weird, but the reason is this...
https://affinity.serif.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21572-why-aero-is-really-important/?p=100971

Yes, I read that it was related to performance but it sounds weird to me since no other application with heavy graphic resources needs requires aero.
As far as I know, you can't turn aero without having all the bells and whistles. I like my "WinXP" environment too much to change it just for one application ;D

erikals
12-10-2016, 04:31 AM
maybe using an Aero theme that has an XP feature?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1k49CaCC-I

mch
12-20-2016, 07:26 AM
Got it too. Interesting software.

Hi !

Do you work with Photoshop as well ?!?

What are the Pros / Cons PS vs Affinity Photo ... ?!?

I abandoned my CC Abo and stick now to PS CS6.
Photoshop is a bit restricted when it comes to 16bit or even 32bit image processing.
Many standard tools won't work.

There is no Affinity Photo trial version available at the moment so I ask about your experience.

I also use PSB files for preparing big textures for infinimapPro.
Built in OpenEXR support is also great for this.

What do you think ?!?

Regards,

Marcus

Otterman
12-20-2016, 08:47 AM
Yeah I would be interested to know what peoples experience with this software is like working in 32bit. Photoshop is painful

erikals
12-20-2016, 10:52 AM
some of you might also wan to check out PhotoLine, for more technical stuff.

allabulle
12-20-2016, 11:57 AM
Hi !

Do you work with Photoshop as well ?!?

What are the Pros / Cons PS vs Affinity Photo ... ?!?

I abandoned my CC Abo and stick now to PS CS6.
Photoshop is a bit restricted when it comes to 16bit or even 32bit image processing.
Many standard tools won't work.

There is no Affinity Photo trial version available at the moment so I ask about your experience.

I also use PSB files for preparing big textures for infinimapPro.
Built in OpenEXR support is also great for this.

What do you think ?!?

Regards,

Marcus

For now I'm just testing it, really. Working quite a bit and there's no much time left for testing. The couple of simple things I've already tried worked very well, though. It's not a particularly complex transition if you've used any other similar software.

Others may jump in and explain the results of using it properly in production to better assess the differences. Sorry if I can't be of more help.

Clipping path
10-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Finally found that software what I am looking for. it is a greater software than Photoshop.

Snosrap
10-16-2017, 09:24 PM
Finally found that software what I am looking for. it is a greater software than Photoshop.

Greater because it is or greater because it's a better value?

BigHache
10-16-2017, 09:56 PM
Greater because it is or greater because it's a better value?

I think it's a better value. I don't think it's quite to the point where it's 1:1 with Photoshop, but it's pretty good. There are a few workflow differences that are just different, and then there are things that are like OK guys, you had a working example before you and you just didn't make it happen. All in all, zero complaints really. Since I'm not doing paying, creative work at home CC was NOT worth continuing to fork out money every loving month for.

CaptainMarlowe
10-16-2017, 10:49 PM
I think it's a better value. I don't think it's quite to the point where it's 1:1 with Photoshop, but it's pretty good. There are a few workflow differences that are just different, and then there are things that are like OK guys, you had a working example before you and you just didn't make it happen. All in all, zero complaints really. Since I'm not doing paying, creative work at home CC was NOT worth continuing to fork out money every loving month for.

Sam for me (but I had it on mac since early beta).
Hey BigHache, long time no see. Hope everything's well ! (I have no plan to get back to Orlando in the foreseeable future, sadly) :)

Snosrap
10-17-2017, 06:30 PM

Good to hear. I've got CS6 perpetual and will never upgrade to current monthly type of usage, so I was wondering where this stood. I think I saw them run a sale last year on black friday, so if they do that again I might pick it up. Not that $50 breaks the bank, but hey. :)

BigHache
10-18-2017, 09:35 PM
Sam for me (but I had it on mac since early beta).
Hey BigHache, long time no see. Hope everything's well ! (I have no plan to get back to Orlando in the foreseeable future, sadly) :)

Hey man! Was thinking about you recently with I/ITSEC coming up. Everything is really good. How 'bout you?

Good to hear. I've got CS6 perpetual and will never upgrade to current monthly type of usage, so I was wondering where this stood. I think I saw them run a sale last year on black friday, so if they do that again I might pick it up. Not that $50 breaks the bank, but hey. :)

Yup, I get it. I think CC has a place, but I also like having the option to have decent software and not be renting it every month.

I picked up Affinity Designer too because, well it's cheap enough and I still needed a vector editing program. I would rate it the same as Photo. It's nice, has a lot of decent features, then it has some things that are like ok what happened?

CaptainMarlowe
10-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Been good but pretty busy with what all happened in France over the last three years, to say the least, and that was not quite comfortable. I hope I can grab a trip to I/ITSEC next year, maybe, because I'm back to less operational and more experimental work. Meanwhile, a fourth child (4 little girls...), a lot of crazy projects in Lightwave, especially the modelling of the castle of the Haut-Koenigsbourg, which requires some (understatement) patience. :)

m.d.
10-19-2017, 12:54 PM
Been using it for a few months now....and pretty heavy usage.

It is a great value.
Photoshop is better in certain areas.....large file size handling for one, and overall speed of the viewport.

But Affinity is surprisingly good...very familiar, and better than photoshop in some areas.
It is totally doable to replace PS with Affinity. I also have a perpetual license of CS6....but haven't touched it since I got Affinity.
This is probably the first app I have seen that could replace Photoshop....with a very easy transitional learning curve.

Not saying it is better.....photoshop is still King....but for the first time, there actually is valid competition.

The real thing I was missing from dropping the Adobe suite, was lightroom.
The only real competitor there is Capture One Pro....and is is $400

Luckily I discovered they have negotiated a $50 version for Sony owners, that only works with Sony RAW...no other RAW formats...and I just happen to shoot with Sony :)

So between Affinity, Capture One Pro, Davinci Studio, and Fusion Studio....I have no real loss from dropping Adobe.

mac
10-27-2017, 01:33 PM
Been using it for a few months now....and pretty heavy usage.

It is a great value.
Photoshop is better in certain areas.....large file size handling for one, and overall speed of the viewport.

But Affinity is surprisingly good...very familiar, and better than photoshop in some areas.
It is totally doable to replace PS with Affinity. I also have a perpetual license of CS6....but haven't touched it since I got Affinity.
This is probably the first app I have seen that could replace Photoshop....with a very easy transitional learning curve.

Not saying it is better.....photoshop is still King....but for the first time, there actually is valid competition.

The real thing I was missing from dropping the Adobe suite, was lightroom.
The only real competitor there is Capture One Pro....and is is $400

Luckily I discovered they have negotiated a $50 version for Sony owners, that only works with Sony RAW...no other RAW formats...and I just happen to shoot with Sony :)

So between Affinity, Capture One Pro, Davinci Studio, and Fusion Studio....I have no real loss from dropping Adobe.

A few questions about Affinity guys. Does it save Targa .tga files? For RAW files, will it be able to handle older cameras? I have a Canon 7D, Canon 5D II and even older models, 30D, 40D. I have been using Photoshop from the beginning, I have CS4 atm, ya it's a legally purchased program. The problem is it doesn't handle older RAW files, this is Adobe's model to get you to upgrade to newer versions, hence their new model of subscription based customers, which I am not a fan of. Another question which I have not found on Affinity site is, will it work with Windows 7? (pro)

The price of Affinity seems low, kind of reminds me of Paintshop? However it is a young program and as it matures I'm sure the price will too. The feature set seems much more robust then Paintshop but not on par with Photoshop. As a professional photographer I think Affinity will be an asset but like I mentioned I am still using an older version of Photoshop (CS4) and if I upgraded I would purchase rather then rent. So I wonder if going with Affinity would be a better value then CS4?

www.darrenmckenna.com

Marander
10-27-2017, 02:28 PM
A few questions about Affinity guys. Does it save Targa .tga files? For RAW files, will it be able to handle older cameras? I have a Canon 7D, Canon 5D II and even older models, 30D, 40D. I have been using Photoshop from the beginning, I have CS4 atm, ya it's a legally purchased program. The problem is it doesn't handle older RAW files, this is Adobe's model to get you to upgrade to newer versions, hence their new model of subscription based customers, which I am not a fan of. Another question which I have not found on Affinity site is, will it work with Windows 7? (pro)

The price of Affinity seems low, kind of reminds me of Paintshop? However it is a young program and as it matures I'm sure the price will too. The feature set seems much more robust then Paintshop but not on par with Photoshop. As a professional photographer I think Affinity will be an asset but like I mentioned I am still using an older version of Photoshop (CS4) and if I upgraded I would purchase rather then rent. So I wonder if going with Affinity would be a better value then CS4?

www.darrenmckenna.com

Affinity doesn't seem to save / export TGA

But PhotoLine does

Or PaintShop Pro does

However I hardly use PhotoLine, I prefer the Affinity UI or PSP.

I don't do RAW with Canon SLR anymore, if you need I can check my photos for some old 40D or 50D RAWs but I don't really know how to process them and they take so much disk space.

Snosrap
10-27-2017, 03:09 PM
I am still using an older version of Photoshop (CS4) and if I upgraded I would purchase rather then rent. I think purchasing PS is no longer an option - rental only AFAIK.

m.d.
10-27-2017, 03:31 PM

www.darrenmckenna.com

no TGA....
not that an an additional 8 bit export is on my bucket list.

As far as 7D etc...I sold mine long ago...but I see on their list it is supported...as well as the 30 and 40D.

I haven't found a feature I am missing yet...the camera raw isn't as good as photoshops I'll give it that...but usually takes some extra tweaking...its more of an GUI standpoint. Now that being said...i still rather use a raw processor like lightroom or capture one....as they are superior to either affinity or photoshop...so if you are depending on PS raw import...it is slightly better in terms of ease of use....

Selections, refine edge, quick mask...it's all there..and the content aware fill is much better in affinity. The cloning is much superior in affinity as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyVub5LFns

I would put it ahead of CS4 just for having the content aware fill features(infill painting in affinity) that didn't come around until CS5. (no content aware scale yet however).
I had to do some pics the other day, and with content aware in photoshop, there would always be some artifacting...Affinity required zero touch ups...and you paint it in rather than make a selection and go into the dropdown title bar menus as in PS.
Also almost all of your effects/filters are live and non destructive.

Other than that...I can barely think of any features lacking (that I use) in PS vs AP....and in CS4 there are definitely some features missing.

Photoshop has a lot of extras....3d rendering, the count tool, measure tool (I do use that sometimes), video editing....that are all great, but not really necessary for photo editing. Affinity is pretty much only good at that.

Try it out...I don't want to oversell it.

But I used PS every day since CS2...and I haven't missed it...even though I still own CS6...I tend to use Affinity instead.

I tried paintshop pro and the others...Affinity is basically a photoshop clone...everything is familiar

Rayek
10-27-2017, 03:53 PM

www.darrenmckenna.com

PhotoLine accepts RAW files from those older Canon cameras. It also develops those non-destructively, while RAW developing in Affinity Photo is a destructive process, I believe.

To be honest, while PhotoLine does a proper job, I prefer to do my RAW processing in a dedicated RAW developer such as Raw Therapee.

As mentioned before, PhotoLine supports Targa files. Affinity does not. PhotoLine is also much less destructive in its image processing compared to Affinity Photo. For example, like Photoshop almost any filter/adjustment is non-destructive, and even external Photoshop compatible filters (if supported in Photoshop as a live smart object filter) are non-destructive now in PhotoLine.
Affinity Photo is still quite a bit behind in that regard.

But each image editor has its own pros and cons. The bitmap drawing tools in Affinity are better, and the GUI resembles Photoshop more. Other things are of a much higher quality in PhotoLine (for example, layer effects) again. Photoshop import is better in PhotoLine, but PSD export is better in Affinity Photo. Give and take!

Try them both. And look into dedicated RAW developers, such as DXO, RawTherapee, and all the others on the market.

Paintshop Pro: avoid, in my opinion. Can't hold a candle to either PhotoLine or Affinity Photo. PhotoLine and Affinity Photo are the only two serious Photoshop alternatives in the market for general high-level image editing. In my opinion.

m.d.
10-27-2017, 04:42 PM
affinity photo live filter layers are 100% non destructive....
so not really true in that sense.

The raw is destructive...

TGA....ya its not there
But it will import EXR with all the RGB passes intact and proper layer blending assigned :)

Rayek
10-27-2017, 05:07 PM
affinity photo live filter layers are 100% non destructive....
so not really true in that sense.

The raw is destructive...

TGA....ya its not there
But it will import EXR with all the RGB passes intact and proper layer blending assigned :)

I didn't say that Affinity Photo's filter layers weren't non-destructive - just that PhotoLine's overall workflow is still much less destructive compared (RAW processing, liquid layers, external live PSD plugins, dehazing, real-time cloned layers, smart object support, each layer can have its own color profile, size, bit-depth, and changing the document's rendering intent does not throw away that information, and so on).

On the other hand Affinity Photo delivers a number of features that PhotoLine doesn't have: panorama stitching, 360degree editing, much better bracketing, etc.
It doesn't hurt to have both in one's toolbox.

For digital painting and drawing I prefer Krita and ClipStudio. Photoshop, Affinity Photo, PhotoLine: none compare that well for that type of work.

m.d.
10-27-2017, 06:10 PM
all good to know....