PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Crank Toy Rig

WilliamVaughan
12-07-2016, 05:55 AM
The goal of the rig was to drive the entire setup by simply rotating the handle. I rigged up the wooden toy in both LightWave and Modo and although the results are the same, the setups are a little different. Before you explore the source files, Id suggest trying to tackle the challenge of setting this up on your own, as this process has been a learning experience that has given me all sorts of ideas for rigging other mechanical contraptions. Grab the files here:

http://www.pixelfondue.com/blog/2016/12/5/modo-lightwave-crank-toy-rigs

allabulle
12-07-2016, 10:02 AM
Interesting. I'll take a look. Thanks!

Spinland
12-07-2016, 10:14 AM
Wow, I had a blast looking into the historic past of that toy. So frikken cool to learn about! Yeah, I'm gonna explore what looks to be a fun and challenging rigging set but I'm still having geekgasms over that toy. :D

Thanks for sharing the coolness, William!

bobakabob
12-07-2016, 11:54 AM
Good to see you sharing Lightwave inspiration William :)

SBowie
12-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Wow, I had a blast looking into the historic past of that toy.Hah! My dad received on of these, executed in walnut, back in the 60's as an Xmas gift from the Canadian Liquid Oxygen company. (They would always provide some novelty item like this. Another year, it was a Bellybutton Lint Collection kit, complete with instructions and an explanation of the value of said commodity to NASA).

This item was billed as a "llaraggub" ... which, by merest chance, spells two other words when reversed.

MonroePoteet
12-07-2016, 03:57 PM
What fun! Here's my solution. The basic idea I used was to add a couple of Nulls (MiddlePivot and EndPivot) parented to the HandleShaft, use IK with those Nulls as the Goal for the LR_Mover (Left-Right) and FB_Mover (Forward-Backward) with IK limited to X for the LR_Mover and Z for the FB_Mover. Then, also use IK to move the HandleShaft in X as it rotates, with the LB_Mover (initially centered at HandleShaft's pivot point) as its Goal. The only keyframed motion is the Heading on the HandleShaft.

Interesting that the HandleMiddlePivotNull is parented to the HandleShaft, the LB_Mover uses that Null as its Goal, and then the HandleShaft uses the LB_Mover as *its* Goal for a kind-of circular IK setup.

mTp

WilliamVaughan
12-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys... hope to have more stuff like this in the future.

MonroePoteet
12-08-2016, 08:18 AM
For anyone interested in mechanical animations, check out this YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thang010146/videos

This fellow has been doing superb yet simple animations for about 6 years (sort the page Oldest to Newest for the older stuff). I don't know what 3D tool(s) he uses or how simple / complex his rigs are, though.

mTp

allabulle
12-08-2016, 03:01 PM
- - - Updated - - -

For anyone interested in mechanical animations, check out this YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thang010146/videos

This fellow has been doing superb yet simple animations for about 6 years (sort the page Oldest to Newest for the older stuff). I don't know what 3D tool(s) he uses or how simple / complex his rigs are, though.

mTp

Interesting link too, MonroePoteet. Thanks.

Also, from the About section of his youtube page: "Autodesk Inventor is used to create all videos in this channel."

MonroePoteet
12-08-2016, 04:17 PM
- - - Updated - - -

Also, from the About section of his youtube page: "Autodesk Inventor is used to create all videos in this channel."

Ah, OK. Thanks.

mTp