PDA

View Full Version : Moving dashed line on path

lotmi127
12-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Hello all,
Simple question I think. I'd like to make a planes flightpath across the country and have it made of moving dashes from start point to end.
What could I use to do this??

Axis3d
12-15-2003, 06:23 PM
You could try modeling your dashes with enough subdivisions so they can deform. Model a whole line of them made up of 10 or so dashes. Then add bones to the model and use the bones to create the curve of the dashes. Create a morph that moves the whole model one dash forward and set to repeat. This will create the movement of the dashes while the bones create the curve that they travel on.

Another way would be to use the CurveConform plugin under the objects Properties > Deform > Add Displacement. You need to fiddle with this one to get it to work (it's been a while since I messed with it).

glassefx
12-17-2003, 08:24 AM
Don't waste too much time because at home in a circa '98 keyframe magazine there is an artical on how to do exactly what your doing with no bones and only one arrow object.. and they show how to make the arrows twist while flowing on a ribbon-strip object. Twist meaning the will deform to the curvature of the ribbon even if it loops or what-not. Give me a day and I will get it and extract the info you need.