PDA

View Full Version : Just one of those "Well, DUH!" moments that is still useful

Spinland
12-06-2016, 07:31 AM
So, I'm working on a scene where the camera zooms in to one eye of the character, which is reflecting an important part of the scene. Rather than re-jiggering the animation so that the needed bit is perfectly framed in the eye, I decided to re-render just that part with the stuff itself moved. Hey, seemed the best alternative to me.

Anyway, said shifting brought some of the stuff into the camera view where it was double-plus-ungood. I started to consider just dropping in a plane with an image sequence, then it hit me: you silly boy, just use the render properties. Check everything except "unseen by rays" and et voila: no object in the camera view, but its reflection is right there. One of those really basic things that still somehow manages to slip through the cracks in my skull.

So, in the off chance such a need comes across your desk, remember to use your words—and always remember to tip your server. It will randomly reboot if you forget. :jam:

spherical
12-07-2016, 12:19 AM
Ok, I think I understand the situation, but there are a few ambiguities present. Could you go back and re-phrase all of that, so we can quantify by combining the two what is really going on, please?

djwaterman
12-07-2016, 02:50 AM
Basically he moved some objects so that they were nicely framed in the eye reflection but in doing it some of the objects moved into view of the camera frame, so he was able to make them disappear via unseen by camera flags and leaving seen by rays on so that reflective objects would still see them even if the camera couldn't.

Spinland
12-07-2016, 03:50 AM
Basically he moved some objects so that they were nicely framed in the eye reflection but in doing it some of the objects moved into view of the camera frame, so he was able to make them disappear via unseen by camera flags and leaving seen by rays on so that reflective objects would still see them even if the camera couldn't.

Thanks for the clarification, and apologies for my muddy phrasing. That's exactly what was happening. :beerchug: