PDA

View Full Version : UV Maps Copy Paste???

Rhothgar
12-02-2016, 07:15 AM
Okay I've spent hours now combing through the forums, google, youtube, etc and can't seem to find the answer. Or the "answer" simply doesn't work. I'm hesitant to post this since it seems like it should be very strait forward and you people must get tired of the same simple questions being asked over and over again. I've reached that point that I'm frustrated and want to quit. UGH! So here it goes.

Let me say I am very new to UV mapping. I have avoided it for the most part because it seems so technical and clunky but I have reached the point that I need to learn it.

Something that seems to be so simple is so NOT simple and extremely annoying.

I'm on Lightwave 9.6 (64bit version) Win 10

I have a model with multiple uv's for numerous surfaces all on one layer. My plan was to planer map as much as possible so I would not have to edit the UV's as much and it just seems easier. For example "foot_top" is one surface with it's own UV and "foot_bottom" it's own surface and UV.

I thought "I'll just do that then combine the UV's into one for painting in photoshop later".

I have tried to cut and past the poly's to "separate" or unweld points like many suggest then "copy vertex map" and "type the exact name of the other UV/vertex map I wanted it to go to but it doesn't work. OR it adds the copied UV's but still connects all the points with long skewed poly's. OR it simply creates a New UV map with that SAME target name but ONLY includes the copied UVs NOT the UVs contained in the target UV map... I have tried to copy and paste into a separate layer. I have tried "copy UV's" and "Paste UV's".

Confused as I am? I hope not.

I don't get it. I have spent numerous hours day after day after day working on this model and now I'm very stuck.

Any help would be much appreciated.

daforum
12-02-2016, 07:42 AM
Hi Rhothgar. I just did a search online and saw this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHWby81EIk
There are other tutorials listed underneath too.

Hope this helps :)

daforum
12-02-2016, 07:45 AM
There's also this thread too: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?67777-merge-UV-MAPs-into-one-UV-map-how

gerry_g
12-02-2016, 07:47 AM
Not unwed your map, unwed your object, I am assuming there are parts of the object you have not yet mapped and these are the problem, also copy maps in polly mode not point mode but move scale rotate etc in point mode and make sure free move is selected at the top of the uv window, thats all I can think of off hand

Danner
12-02-2016, 08:47 AM
cut-paste, then copying the vertex map using the exact name always works here, I'm wondering if you don't have some errors in your geometry, like duplicate polygons in the exact same place or something else. If you can. share a troublesome piece so we can look at it.

Surrealist.
12-02-2016, 09:21 AM
Yeah I can confirm here as well. It should work to use Edit Maps, Copy Vertex Map and then enter the same name as the one you want to copy to. That does not sound very intuitive. But it works. I have no idea why Copy and Paste UVs doe not work. LightWave should support not having all points assigned to a map. So that should not be an issue. One thing to check closely is the name. If the name is slightly wrong it will make a new map. Sounds like that was one thing that was happening.

The Uvs connecting is another issue. That can only happen if the mesh is connected. To solve this an easy fix is to cut and paste - as mentioned. After you are done editing you can usually merge points again.

bazsa73
12-02-2016, 09:54 AM
I just did lot of UVing recently, seemingly I should share my experiments böcause I have bumped into quite a few issues concerning UV mapping in LW. But there are 2 different copypaste UV. One is somewhere up in the menu, where you
have to feed manuall the name of the map and this works but the other hidden somewhere down in the column menu doesn't work. Or rather, it works with a supercumbersome workaround but that's plainly not a treadable path imho.
Cheers.

erikals
12-02-2016, 12:02 PM
earlier video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP9bUJBgfts

MSherak
12-02-2016, 12:32 PM
Okay I've spent hours now combing through the forums, google, youtube, etc and can't seem to find the answer. Or the "answer" simply doesn't work. I'm hesitant to post this since it seems like it should be very strait forward and you people must get tired of the same simple questions being asked over and over again. I've reached that point that I'm frustrated and want to quit. UGH! So here it goes.

Let me say I am very new to UV mapping. I have avoided it for the most part because it seems so technical and clunky but I have reached the point that I need to learn it.

Something that seems to be so simple is so NOT simple and extremely annoying.

I'm on Lightwave 9.6 (64bit version) Win 10

I have a model with multiple uv's for numerous surfaces all on one layer. My plan was to planer map as much as possible so I would not have to edit the UV's as much and it just seems easier. For example "foot_top" is one surface with it's own UV and "foot_bottom" it's own surface and UV.

I thought "I'll just do that then combine the UV's into one for painting in photoshop later".

I have tried to cut and past the poly's to "separate" or unweld points like many suggest then "copy vertex map" and "type the exact name of the other UV/vertex map I wanted it to go to but it doesn't work. OR it adds the copied UV's but still connects all the points with long skewed poly's. OR it simply creates a New UV map with that SAME target name but ONLY includes the copied UVs NOT the UVs contained in the target UV map... I have tried to copy and paste into a separate layer. I have tried "copy UV's" and "Paste UV's".

Confused as I am? I hope not.

I don't get it. I have spent numerous hours day after day after day working on this model and now I'm very stuck.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Guaranteed way for them to copy.

Select the polygons that you want to copy into another UV. Use the unweld command, bring up the vertex panel and right click on the vertex map they are contained in and select the Copy Vertex Map popup. Next type the name of the vertex map you would like them copied to. Use the merge command to get the points back together.

The reason why you want to unweld is so each vertex has it's UV information unique to each point. If you do not use this command before the copy the edges jumping all over the place since points along and edge can share the same UV position.

Just so people know. Most 3D applications keep the UV's data unique per vertex so copy and paste operations work just fine. But under the hood the UV data jumps exponentially in size resulting in bloated data. In the past models were never as large as they can get now. Since then 3D packages have started to merge the UV data like Lightwave. On a 4 million polygon UV'ed solid model (no non-shared points) the data for the UV's would quadruple the size of the model if unique per vertex. Problem is now that 3D applications have start sending whole models to the GPU memory, which is limited. GPU's want the smallest data set possible for memory efficiency.

So it was never that Lightwave's UV's were broken since it has been doing it the way it should for processing since version 6.0.

Hope this helps..

Rhothgar
12-02-2016, 12:51 PM
Hi daforum, Thanks for the reply and information. Yes I watched that video in my earlier search and though it is an awesome tut it does not address what I'm trying to do. I have UV maps already made and am trying to create one UV map from two different UV maps.. The thread sounds like it is similar to what I am trying to accomplish. I followed the instructions and typed the exact name of the target map and that is what I am having trouble with... tried it several times to make sure I was typing the correct name just in case it was typo or something... Not sure what I'm missing.. thanks again!

Rhothgar
12-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Gerry_g, thanks. yes there are parts of the object that are not mapped yet. didn't realize It would have any effect. I will map them and try again. I have been working in poly mode but was not aware of "free move" I have been moving points around in uv maps quite a bit not every knowing I need to make sure free move was selected. I'll check that too. thanks!

Rhothgar
12-02-2016, 12:57 PM
cut-paste, then copying the vertex map using the exact name always works here, I'm wondering if you don't have some errors in your geometry, like duplicate polygons in the exact same place or something else. If you can. share a troublesome piece so we can look at it. Danner thanks for taking the time to reply. I will try to find geometry errors. I'll see if I can post some screen shots later. Will need to get back to work soon..(on my day job) :)

Rhothgar
12-02-2016, 01:02 PM
Yeah I can confirm here as well. It should work to use Edit Maps, Copy Vertex Map and then enter the same name as the one you want to copy to. That does not sound very intuitive. But it works. I have no idea why Copy and Paste UVs doe not work. LightWave should support not having all points assigned to a map. So that should not be an issue. One thing to check closely is the name. If the name is slightly wrong it will make a new map. Sounds like that was one thing that was happening.

The Uvs connecting is another issue. That can only happen if the mesh is connected. To solve this an easy fix is to cut and paste - as mentioned. After you are done editing you can usually merge points again. Thanks Surrealist.. yes copy vertex map is exactly what I was trying to do and was careful to try a few times and check the name to make sure it was clearly the same...then that's when things came to a halt. Just didn't work the way everyone is trying to explain to me along with the tutorials I've found. Something is not working right. (user error) tried to cut and paste the polys with the uv maps but still didn't work... thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Rhothgar
12-02-2016, 01:05 PM
"supercumbersome" ... exactly. I'm sure I've just done something wrong. I've found that 99% of my issues are just that MY issues and not the software....but then I don't know what I don't know either. thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Erikals, I watched this video too. Very well done. For some reason I am still running into trouble. Will watch again and try to figure out what I'm missing. thanks!

Rhothgar
12-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Thanks MSherak, I will follow those instructions closely and see what results I get. I'm not bagging on Lightwave just what to figure this out. I really appreciate your help along with everyone else. Thanks!

bazsa73
12-02-2016, 03:48 PM
"supercumbersome" ... exactly. I'm sure I've just done something wrong. I've found that 99% of my issues are just that MY issues and not the software....but then I don't know what I don't know either. thanks!

I don't think so. One workflow for me so far has been that I have the object to be UVd on layer 01 let's say and on layer 02 I do the unwrap of the actual piece/part of the whol I want UV. Then I copy/paste back the mesh I just finished to layer 01.
But it's an ordinary mesh paste not UV copy/paste. Works as long as you remain in the same UV space.

erikals
12-02-2016, 05:43 PM
maybe you should share the file, or parts of it?

Surrealist.
12-02-2016, 09:12 PM
Thanks Surrealist.. yes copy vertex map is exactly what I was trying to do and was careful to try a few times and check the name to make sure it was clearly the same...then that's when things came to a halt. Just didn't work the way everyone is trying to explain to me along with the tutorials I've found. Something is not working right. (user error) tried to cut and paste the polys with the uv maps but still didn't work... thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Another thing to consider is you are working in a version older than most of us are using now. Probably many users are somewhere around v. 10-11, with many (or most) of us now using v 2015.3. So when we report it is working for us, we are using another version. I don't remember this ever being bugged in 9.x but still it is not like we are really all on the same software page here. Any number of factors could be present for you (related bugs even) that we might not have.

But what I would suggest here, since you are not sure about user error, is to start with a simple test. Take a simple object like a sphere or something and do an atlas unwrap and basically try and create the same scenario for yourself and then test it. Once you get that done and it works - which it should - then you at least have that to work off from. That it then must be something to do with the other model. At least give yourself a point of confidence to work from and abate the confusion.

Then if things are still not working on your model, one final solution might have to be to simply trash those maps and start again. Could be some kind of gremlin bug that crept in from someplace. Stuff like that happens to me a lot with 3D software.

Myagi
12-03-2016, 03:45 AM
I don't remember this ever being bugged in 9.x

I'm doing a fair share of UVing (including copy vmaps for selected subset of polys on a regular basis) almost exclusively with 9, in some odd cases 10. As far as I can tell it's working. Unwelding (ctrl+U) the entire mesh before doing a UV copy is healthy* to avoid potential issues with shared vmap verts. Failing to do so can sometimes result in some head-scratching results IIRC.

(* personally I see it as a requirement)

Those long stretched polys (in UV view) are typically polys without UVs (in the current map) that share verts with polys that do have UVs, and when the mesh (/ those verts) was merged/welded it automatically assigned one of the existing UVs for that particular vertex to the poly-verts that had none.

However if you unweld the mesh and do all of the UV copy operations without merging/welding any vers inbetween(!), those shouldn't appear as no verts are shared between multiple faces. For good measure do a final unweld after the last copy and then merge the entire mesh and it should work fine as far ar LW9 is concerned.

(Even if they do appear it's not a big deal. Remapping them or copying from another UV map where they have been mapped after-the-fact should make them disappear. As long as the copying is done in an unwelded state.)