PDA

View Full Version : Any users of Paint & Stick?

Ma3rk
11-29-2016, 03:18 PM
I've been watching some tutorials on the aescripts + aeplugins tool for Paint & Stick and wondering if anyone here has explored this plugin for use with Lightwave.

http://aescripts.com/paint-and-stick/

And in particular:

http://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/paint-and-stick/#Different3Dpackage

at the very bottom of the page.

Unfortunately, the package they use is C4D, but it seems as if there must be a method to create the necessary Sticky and ID passes in Layout and EXRTrader.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Ztreem
11-29-2016, 06:10 PM
Seems very similar to a UV pass. They do a setup i maya can't you minic that in lightwave?

Ma3rk
11-29-2016, 09:11 PM
Seems very similar to a UV pass. They do a setup i maya can't you minic that in lightwave?

I'm not sure which is why I'm asking the brain pool here.

Ztreem
11-30-2016, 04:11 AM
Something like this should work. If I understand the video correct, I just skimmed through it. Set the luminosity of the object to 100% and render without AA and set the color space to linear when render.
The gradient values need to be adjusted to the bounding box values of your object. Test and see if it works.

Edit: this setup is even easier. Just using a vector add instead of the color mixer.135210

Note: Remember to set all of the color space options to linear in LW otherwise it will not work.135211

Ma3rk
11-30-2016, 09:51 AM
Something like this should work.

Hey, thanks. I'll give that a try. Looks pretty straight forward.

Ma3rk
11-30-2016, 10:02 AM
One other question: Are your gradients a straight 1 to 0 or did you use the sames ones as in the more intricate node setup?

Ztreem
12-01-2016, 03:23 AM
One other question: Are your gradients a straight 1 to 0 or did you use the sames ones as in the more intricate node setup?

The gradient should correspond to the values of the bounding box of the model, so it will change depending of the size and placement of your object.

Edit: Remember that the gradient bounding box needs to be cubic for this plugin as said in the video. So that means that the Z-axis gradient needs to have the same values as the x and y even though the object isn't as big in that axis.

Ztreem
12-01-2016, 03:36 AM
I hope this works, I don't have the plugin myself to test, but it seems like it's the same process as they do in maya.

Ma3rk
12-01-2016, 10:18 AM
The gradient should correspond to the values of the bounding box of the model, so it will change depending of the size and placement of your object.

Edit: Remember that the gradient bounding box needs to be cubic for this plugin as said in the video. So that means that the Z-axis gradient needs to have the same values as the x and y even though the object isn't as big in that axis.

Ah. Thought those were just relative values. I see now they're labeled position. So it would have to be different for each object it sounds. I'll have to experiment with larger models such as a building perhaps.

Thanks again for your input.

Ma3rk
12-01-2016, 10:26 AM
I hope this works, I don't have the plugin myself to test, but it seems like it's the same process as they do in maya.

Not being familiar with Maya at all, I was lost at what might be the corresponding process in Lightwave. Once shown, it made sense. I'm probably going to get Stick & Paint soon as this looks as if it will work just fine. The Paint portion alone of it appears to be so much easier to use than the After Effects native tool.

jeric_synergy
12-01-2016, 11:03 AM
OP, thanks for the hedzup about P&S, very interesting, reasonable price.

Ma3rk
12-01-2016, 04:19 PM
OP, thanks for the hedzup about P&S, very interesting, reasonable price.

And it's 25% off until Friday using the checkout code CYBER16NE.

jeric_synergy
12-01-2016, 06:42 PM
And it's 25% off until Friday using the checkout code CYBER16NE.

Yr killin' me: my CCs just got back from Greenland..... ;)

Ma3rk
03-07-2017, 11:46 AM
Probably seen this by now but if not ...

http://aescripts.com/paint-and-stick-public-beta/

In particular, watch the pencil tutorial. Should pique some interest I'd think.

Following the notes & comments here, I got it to work in a simple test but there was a lot of futzing to do all the steps that computers are great for if ya know how to get them to jump through the hoops instead of you.

Anyway, what I'm hoping is that someone in the LW community with coding skills will get interested & get the itch to do up some scripts to automate this for us.