PDA

View Full Version : Macro help with AE

ingeborgdot
11-29-2016, 03:13 PM
I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a little help with a macro. My setup will be 2 or 3 cameras. Input 4 will be a camera but it will be on the clock. I will shrink it down to fit in the corner of the screen. I will use dsk 2 for that unless someone has a better way of doing that with the new AE version 2. Anyway, we play commercials at certain points in the game. I want to set up a macro where it automatically takes the commercial that is next and puts it in the program but when that happens it shuts off the clock camera at the same time. Then when the commercial is done playing it goes to the camera that is in the preview and turns on the camera 4. This couldn't be done with the SD version but someone said it could be done in the AE version. Also, I can't remember what to do with the commercials setting in the DDR because they are all different lengths and when I record the macro it just sets it to a certain length. So when it takes the camera that is in program and switches to the DDR and plays the commercial automatically how do I get it to not go to the preview before the commercial is over? I have a lot to learn with TriCasters in general but the new AE version really has me going crazy. I hope this makes sense.

JPulera
11-29-2016, 03:25 PM
If DDR is set for AUTOPLAY, then it will only revert to preview when clip is done playing regardless of clip length. After recording macros, you can EDIT them and change or remove the timers from each step. I may be able to help you out, but am just leaving office for the day now.

Thanks

Jeff

kanep
11-29-2016, 03:45 PM
If you are running AE, there is automation that you can apply to the start and end of the clips (this option is in the right click menu on a clip). Make two macros, one to turn off DSK2 and another to turn on DSK2 and attach them to the start and end of each clip.

For the macros, you can use the following commands to turn DSK2 on or off. These commands will turn a DSK off (even if it is already off), versus a toggle command.

DSK2 OFF:
Shortcut = main_dsk2_value
Value = 0

DSK2 ON:
Shortcut = main_dsk2_value
Value = 1

ingeborgdot
11-30-2016, 07:16 AM
So, I make 2 separate macros for the DSK2 OFF and ON?, besides the macro to start the commercials in the DDR? I need them to work with the same triggers. I think I need to find some more info on macros for sure.

kanep
11-30-2016, 08:00 AM
Yes, two separate macros. Then right click on the clip in the DDR and choose 'Automation'. Then set the start and end to the correct macros.

SBowie
11-30-2016, 08:01 AM
If you were able to devote one DDR to this - say DDR 2, rather than adding macros to clips (which works but can be tedious and is easily overlooked) you could add a macro to DDR2's configuration(Automation tab) to remove the clock shot whenever the DDR is displayed, and replace it whenever Autoplay removes the DDR when the add ends.

ingeborgdot
11-30-2016, 08:05 AM
I have over 20 30 second commercials. I have to do this to everyone?

ingeborgdot
11-30-2016, 08:14 AM
DDR1 only has my commercials in it so would that work? So how do I add automation to the DDR?

SBowie
11-30-2016, 08:15 AM
I have over 20 30 second commercials. I have to do this to everyone?That was my point. You can do it on a per clip basis, and if a) you use the same clips over and over, or b) you need to mix some clips with this behavior with others that don't use the macros in one DDR, that would be a way to go. It's not as bad as it sounds, because you can do it with multi-selected clips in one go.

Still, my personal preferred way would be as I suggested - then you only need to do it once, ever:

If you were able to devote one DDR to this - say DDR 2, rather than adding macros to clips (which works but can be tedious and is easily overlooked) you could add a macro to DDR2's configuration(Automation tab) to remove the clock shot whenever the DDR is displayed, and replace it whenever Autoplay removes the DDR when the add ends.

DDR1 only has my commercials in it so would that work?Certainly. I have a system setup that has some macros assigned exclusively to DDR2 in similar fashion. In my case, I need to serve a set of successive clips to two different auditoriums on demand. Sometimes, both auditoriums get the same audio and video (English) from DDR1. Other times, we need to play matching videos in two different languages at the same time (the secondary language clips are in DDR 2).

When all I need is English, Autoplay does everything that we need already - all we have to do is press the Spacebar. To handle the dual-clip, split output playback, I assigned a macro to CTRL + Spacebar that does all the audio and video output rerouting, performs an Auto on DDR1 and "Show on (M/E)" in DDR 2. At the end of playback, both DDRs automatically auto out without any fancy footwork. To clean up afterward, a macro assigned to run whenever DDR2 is removed from output reverts to the normal a/v output setup and advances DDR2 to the next clip.

ingeborgdot
11-30-2016, 08:18 AM
I'm for the once, ever.

ingeborgdot
11-30-2016, 10:07 AM
Is there some place I can go to find a tutorial on how to use the macros to get this done? I am still a little ignorant on macros and need some schooling. :) I created a macro that puts the ddr in preview and then to program and then when commercial is over it is auto to cameras in program. Not too hard and pretty basic I understand that. I just have to figure out the other stuff you guys are talking about and doing it the once over way in the DDR.

SBowie
11-30-2016, 10:16 AM
Is there some place I can go to find a tutorial on how to use the macros to get this done?Arguably the most complete documentation on macros is the Automation and Integration Guide. That said, to me the easiest way to learn how to work macros is to record the operations you need, and use the macro editor to examine them.

I created a macro that puts the ddr in preview and then to program and then when commercial is over it is auto to cameras in program.I'd have thought you could simply turn on Autoplay for the DDR (once is all it takes), then place it on Preview and hit Auto whenever you want to run an ad, This will automatically do everything you described, and advance to the next clip to boot - without a macro.

Where you do need a macro is to automatically remove the clock cam in the DSK whenever you play an ad, and to restore it afterward. Two simple shortcuts assigned in the Automation tab of the DDR will do that for you. (I'd use a T-Bar shortcut here rather than an Auto shortcut to make sure that the current DSK state is irrelevant).

ingeborgdot
11-30-2016, 10:24 AM
The macro I created just saves a couple of button pushes. It just brings puts the ddr in preview and then turns it on. Not a lot faster but this way it just takes away if a person forgets to put the DDR into preview etc.

Where do I find the automation and integration guide?

ingeborgdot
11-30-2016, 10:28 AM
I found the guide.

ingeborgdot
11-30-2016, 01:46 PM
I'm struggling with this. I wish I could find a video tutorial on this specific thing. You know how to make a guy feel stupid? Take a TriCaster and give it to him with AE and tell him to do macros on it. :)

Radio_TVPat1982
11-30-2016, 02:07 PM
There are a couple videos on YouTube showing how to setup a Macro.

ingeborgdot
11-30-2016, 02:24 PM
I have been watching them also but I still can't get it to do what I want it to do.