PDA

View Full Version : Switching from mac to Pc

M-X
11-29-2016, 04:26 AM
Hi there, I am switching from mac to Pc after nearly 20 years...is there anything I need to be aware of in terms of making the transition with Lightwave?
Thank you.

Norka
11-29-2016, 05:23 AM
About damn time! My switch was from a PowerMac 8600 to a Dual Pentium III... oh gosh, does that make me old?

Are you using Octane? How many GPUs are you planning?

M-X
11-29-2016, 05:29 AM
Yes I am planning to have a play with Octane which is part of the reason for the switch, I'm looking at 2x dual E5-2650 with 2x Nvidia GTX 1070s

Danner
11-29-2016, 06:58 AM
This might change if Octane changes something but as it is now the 1070 is slower than the 980ti, so do a price check on those too.

Norka
11-30-2016, 06:30 AM
I very highly recommend EVGA 980Ti Hybrids. I've got three. And while some will say 1070 low wattage this, and 1070 low price that, I am telling you right now, when you are sweating bullets because of a looming deadline, you will be cursing yourself for not getting the 80s or 80Ti versions (of any series). And hell, 1080Ti MUST be coming very soon.

squarewulf
11-30-2016, 07:02 AM
I have 3 GTX 970's and I absolutely love them. Changed my entire workflow for the better.

OlaHaldor
11-30-2016, 08:10 AM
If you're going for GPU render, you might want to save yourself a ton of money and go for a 8-core or 10-core i7, and at least a couple, if not three or four GPUs.
I don't see any reason to go for dual Xeon unless you plan to use that for rendering, or some sim that require CPU instead of GPU.

If you're looking to do video editing, I can tell you my i7 and GTX 1080 can do full debayer of RED Raw in 4K without breaking a sweat - and that's with 20 layers of loads of heavy stuff going on in Resolve.

A single GTX 1080 beats two Titans (first gen). I tested that myself.

Titan X (the new 10-series / Pascal series) is available directly from nVidia only unless you bundle it together with a new computer from the get go. Not available through the usual shops unfortunately.

ernpchan
11-30-2016, 09:08 AM
Hi there, I am switching from mac to Pc after nearly 20 years...is there anything I need to be aware of in terms of making the transition with Lightwave?
Thank you.

You'll have access to a lot more plug-ins.

sadkkf
11-30-2016, 10:46 AM
If you're going for GPU render, you might want to save yourself a ton of money and go for a 8-core or 10-core i7

That can get ridiculously expensive. I've found motherboards supporting that many cores require a server-style OS. Not to mention the CPUs themselves are priced in the stratosphere.

Of course, it's all relative. My budget couldn't even consider that kind of expenditure.

M-X
12-01-2016, 03:35 AM
Thanks for all the feed back!

rustythe1
12-01-2016, 05:01 AM
That can get ridiculously expensive. I've found motherboards supporting that many cores require a server-style OS. Not to mention the CPUs themselves are priced in the stratosphere.

Of course, it's all relative. My budget couldn't even consider that kind of expenditure.

I have the rampage V (see specs bellow) it supports all the big I7s including the latest 10 cores, although a bit more expensive than usual motherboard it can access parts of the chips no other boards can, and it makes a hell of a difference, my 8 core 5960 can render 4 times as fast as my old 6 core 980, yet on paper there is not a huge amount between them, the board also clocks to 4.5 on air cool with no issues (noctua cooler is as good as low end fluid) there is a new version of the board out so I think you can pick up the two older models relatively cheap.

rustythe1
12-01-2016, 05:05 AM
too add, it did the marble test scene faster than some dual xeons, at the time I did it

Danner
12-01-2016, 06:32 AM
I wonder if there is a core limit in VPR, there are Xeons comming with 32 cores and 4 threads per core so that's 128 threads.. and that is before you go dual CPU.

rustythe1
12-02-2016, 01:21 AM
actually the E7phi has 72 / 144 threads already http://ark.intel.com/products/95830/Intel-Xeon-Phi-Processor-7290-16GB-1_50-GHz-72-core

rustythe1
12-02-2016, 01:26 AM
sorry they are also quad threading so its 288 threads

Danner
12-02-2016, 05:25 AM
Recommended Customer Price $6254.00 Ouch. Taking cores and ghz into consideration I 'guestimate' that it's around 10 times faster at rendering than a decent I7 system. So it's like having a 10 machine renderfarm with much less consumption and hassle. I want one now.

rustythe1
12-02-2016, 09:28 AM
yea, scenes could be quite hefty if you wanted with 384GB of ddr4, and you can get them in dual config, so up to 576 threads with 768 gb of ram! (probably around 20 grand or so for a machine like that)

sadkkf
12-02-2016, 11:24 AM
I have the rampage V (see specs bellow) it supports all the big I7s including the latest 10 cores, although a bit more expensive than usual motherboard it can access parts of the chips no other boards can, and it makes a hell of a difference, my 8 core 5960 can render 4 times as fast as my old 6 core 980, yet on paper there is not a huge amount between them, the board also clocks to 4.5 on air cool with no issues (noctua cooler is as good as low end fluid) there is a new version of the board out so I think you can pick up the two older models relatively cheap.

Right. Your mainboard and CPU were than double the cost of mine...ASROCK X99 Extreme4 and i7-5820k. I just can't afford more than that.

toeknee
12-02-2016, 03:43 PM
If it were me I would drop Newtek a line to make sure that they will take advantage of all the power that system has to offer. I say this after twenty seven years of chasing the newest and faster. In the past the software or the OS did not take advantage of the speed increase for example of twin CPUs or Quad CPUs. This maybe totally suprifulous with this new Chip. My point is just investigate before you commit to the expence.

jwiede
12-02-2016, 07:12 PM
If it were me I would drop Newtek a line to make sure that they will take advantage of all the power that system has to offer. I say this after twenty seven years of chasing the newest and faster. In the past the software or the OS did not take advantage of the speed increase for example of twin CPUs or Quad CPUs. This maybe totally suprifulous with this new Chip. My point is just investigate before you commit to the expence.

Agreed. Also worth noting that aside from the most multi-thread-capable programming tasks, even most multi-threaded operations will quickly dive into diminishing marginal returns once core count gets past 12-16, due to memory issues (LoR, cross-CPU cache thrashing, and so forth).

That's changing as compilers and languages get better about managing fine-grained parallelism, but good old ANSI C (aka C89 or C95) isn't such. Given a C-implemented app not specifically designed around parallelism from the start, such as LW up through LW2015, the way certain large, common data stores, etc. are represented in LW quickly become major bottlenecks to parallelism as core counts increase (even though LW3DG has done good work at shoe-horning parallelism into specific feature code areas).

There have been discussions of efforts in LW.Next to address some of the more general parallelism bottlenecks, time will tell whether and how well that effort went.

Ernest
12-02-2016, 08:20 PM
actually the E7phi has 72 / 144 threads already http://ark.intel.com/products/95830/Intel-Xeon-Phi-Processor-7290-16GB-1_50-GHz-72-core

But the Phis are not really CPUs. They're more like GPUs. Their cores are not like current Intel cores; they're more like Atom cores with a vector processor. And they have to work through the PCIe, like video cards. I remember Vlado managed to get VRay working on a Phi a couple of years ago and was disappointed by the performance.

wesleycorgi
12-05-2016, 02:00 PM
It is pretty apparent that Apple is abandoning the high-end content creator market with their latest so-called "Mac Book Pro" and letting their over-priced Mac Pro trash can languish. And Microsoft has done an excellent job of filling in that gap with their line of Surface products. I'm preparing myself to completely transition over to Windows within the next three years after three decades of being a dedicated Mac user. I need expansion and the very least NVIDIA graphics cards, not another underwhelming product that requires twenty accessories.

I could imagine staying on the platform, if they embraced eGPU's.

rustythe1
12-06-2016, 02:39 AM
yes, I really like the look of the new surface studio, looks like that will blow a lot of apple products out of the water, they seem to be on a downward trend, shares were dropping a while back, and even with the problems Samsung were having with exploding batteries they have over taken in the mobile market, its funny as last night during the walking dead I saw the first mac book tv advert I think I have ever seen, I think in the past their products had just sold them selves so you only really saw I phone adverts (sponsored by orange)

bradl
03-07-2017, 05:24 PM
Guys, quick question about multi-threading. I'm running LW 2015 on PC with a Dual Xeon E5 with 32 CPU (logical processors). Seems like whenever things get real slow I look at the CPU usage and only one is pegged. What the heck. Maybe it's just what I am doing at the time, I'll keep an eye on it. Right now I am running Bullet and waiting for "Simulating Dynamics" and it is crawling on not too complex of a fractured object. I have TWO Nvidia Quadro K5200's. Is there some tweaking I should do or is it just what it is, some things are multi-thread some not?

Thanks!

Schwyhart
03-07-2017, 06:09 PM
I'd move to a PC if it wasn't for FCPX, which is my main software at my workplace.

djwaterman
03-07-2017, 06:32 PM
I'd move to a PC if it wasn't for FCPX, which is my main software at my workplace.

They really need to make that fantastic program for the PC.

bradl
03-08-2017, 04:20 PM
Guys, quick question about multi-threading. I'm running LW 2015 on PC with a Dual Xeon E5 with 32 CPU (logical processors). Seems like whenever things get real slow I look at the CPU usage and only one is pegged. What the heck. Maybe it's just what I am doing at the time, I'll keep an eye on it. Right now I am running Bullet and waiting for "Simulating Dynamics" and it is crawling on not too complex of a fractured object. I have TWO Nvidia Quadro K5200's. Is there some tweaking I should do or is it just what it is, some things are multi-thread some not?

Thanks!

I'm going to move this to a new thread if you want to follow it there. Thanks

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?153080-Multi-Thread-In-General-and-Specifically-Bullet&p=1500904#post1500904