PDA

View Full Version : LW 2015.3 Image Editor > Processing > Texture Filter

Chrusion
11-28-2016, 02:16 PM
Will someone confirm that animated procedural textures used in Image Editor > Processing > Texture Filter are NOT being SAVED in the scene (and/or object) file?

I just spent a lot of time setting up 4 layers of animated textures on both color and bump channels, rendering a short clip to make sure they moved as desired, only to discover that after saving both scene and object, closing LW, and reopening the scene that ALL ENVELOPES have vanished. The E buttons are even off, but instead of the translation channels being zero, the coordinate values of the envelopes on the frame that the play head was at when the scene was saved is what LW puts in those channels.

I'm using Texture Filter in the Image Editor's Processing tab, because I am texturing a 2048 px sq black image applied as a UV map so that the procedurals flow around a 180 degree and a 90 degree bend in a fluid flow simulation.

It is totally unacceptable that the graph envelopes vanish upon saving, because, obviously, I NEED these texture motions or else the anim I'm working on is toast. This was my LAST resort, because I'm using SG Fertilizer 2 to grow the pipe-filling fluid mesh, and deforming with a morph or with bones does NOT work with Fertilizer, no matter which sub-patch deformation order is selected. IOW, despite the instructions to the contrary, such deformations, to get a normally applied animated texture to flow around these two bends, cause the deformed mesh to "escape" SG Fertilizer 2's hold.

Any help to devise a work around I haven't thought of yet would be much appreciated. No, I can't use the Node method, because Ref objects and translation envelopes are disabled when UV maps are enabled in a 2D texture node, so no way to animate a procedural and 3D texture nodes don't have the UV map option. If the REASON Texture Filter envelopes not saving can be found and worked around (like maybe manually adding them to a scene file, etc.) then I'll be good to go.

jwiede
11-28-2016, 06:11 PM
It is totally unacceptable that the graph envelopes vanish upon saving, because, obviously, I NEED these texture motions or else the anim I'm working on is toast.

Agreed.

Bugs which cause loss of user data are considered sev=0,pri=0 (aka "Showstopper", extreme high priority) bugs at just about everywhere I've worked, and in the minds of nigh-all experienced devs I know. I'm very disappointed by the number of such issues (config corruption, crashers, incomplete/corrupt saves in one way or another) in LW releases of late. Further, LW3DG's laxity in addressing such issues (esp. config corruption and certain well-known crashers such as in FFX), letting them persist version after version without aggressive remediation, is totally unacceptable in my book.

rustythe1
11-29-2016, 01:02 AM
the image editor often will not save image sequences either although this seems to be random on weather it does or does not so maybe the whole image editor ui has a problem

dpont
11-29-2016, 01:36 AM
As a possible workaround,
I tested a Layer node in DPFilter Image Filter Node editor
with animated procedural,
saved and loaded properly.

Denis.

Chrusion
11-29-2016, 08:56 AM
I installed DP Filter, selected Node Editor in the Image Editor > Processing tab, added an 2D Image node, loaded the 2048x2048 empty black PNG image, set mapping to UV (and selected my UV map), connected Color out to Color in of Image Filter node, added a Color Layer node, copy/pasted the texture from the original Texture Filter, connected Color out > Color In of Image node, then Saved the object and Saved the scene... LW Crashed.

Relauched LW, load scene, CRASH. Try again. CRASH. Looked at scene file and found no references to DP. Opened Modeler, loaded object... CRASH. Again... CRASH. OK, so the object was corrupted during the object save. Great. Glad I had auto save enabled a few days ago. Recovered the object, and now in the process of rebuilding the fluid layer mesh of the object.

Too gun shy to try DP Filters again, so I'm going back to using bones to deform the mesh (and thus the proc. textures)... BUT still road blocked with the SG_Fertilizer 2 dysfunction, as shown below... plugin is from here: http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/Fertilizer2/

dpont
11-29-2016, 10:29 AM
....set mapping to UV (and selected my UV map)...

I didn't test UV Mapping in this situation,
just because there's no Vertex Mapping reference in such context,
Image Processing is evaluated before or after
surfacing an object, there are just 2D screen coordinates
converted in 3D for classic mapping,
an evaluated surface is necessary for UV Mapping.

Denis.

Chrusion
11-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Denis,

While waiting for advice re. the SG_Fertilizer issue, I'm trying to overcome my DP_Filter shyness. So far, the object has not become corrupt on save, though LW did freeze solid while opening the Surface Editor's Color Texture edit panel when VPR was active.

Scrapped the UV map within nodes and just went straight 2D texture. Does this screen cap provide enough info to say why the procedurally textured black image is not rendering or showing the texture in the Surface Editor sample sphere?

EDIT: DISREGARD THIS IMAGE. Helps if the mesh in the layer I was using actually had a UV map. It didn't. Fixed that and now the texturized image is rendering in OGL, VPR, and F9.

Dan Ritchie
11-29-2016, 10:47 AM
Aren't animated textures saved with an object? O completely forget.

dpont
11-29-2016, 10:54 AM
... why the procedurally textured black image is not rendering or showing the texture in the Surface Editor sample sphere?

My own pre-processed procedural is correctly
UV Mapped on my object surface here,
the surface preview is not UV Mapped
just the render (or VPR) can certify that the UV Map is correctly set.

Denis.

Chrusion
11-29-2016, 11:32 AM
> Aren't animated textures saved with an object?

Yes, when the object is mapped/textured via Surface Editor. No when the image itself is being replaced/altered by textures applied in the Image Editor > processing tab.

Chrusion
11-29-2016, 11:52 AM
My own pre-processed procedural is correctly UV Mapped on my object surface here... render (or VPR) can certify that the UV Map is correctly set.
DUH!!! Helps if the mesh I was using actually HAD a UV map! I used a mesh as a background to morph object then applied the morph to the base, clearing the morph map off of it, and thought I had copy/pasted it in the layer I'm using. Nope. Now that I fixed that, the altered image map is now showing in OGL, VPR, and F9.

Chrusion
11-29-2016, 02:58 PM
No matter which nodes I tried (native Layers > Color Layer > Turbulence, DP Kit > Layers Plus > Color Layer + > Turbulence, 2D > Turbulence), NONE of them save translation envelopes WITHIN the texture itself. The only workaround is to add a Make Vector node and a Constant > Scalar node and set up an envelope in the Scalar and plug it into the desired Vector channel In and plug the Vector Out into the 2D > Turbulence position In.

Interestingly, processing/texturizing an image with nodes (using the DP Filter Node Editor plugin) in the Image Editor > Processing tab is saved IN the OBJECT, NOT the scene!

jwiede
11-29-2016, 07:24 PM
Interestingly, processing/texturizing an image with nodes (using the DP Filter Node Editor plugin) in the Image Editor > Processing tab is saved IN the OBJECT, NOT the scene!

That seems a bit undesirable/unexpected. Consistency seems important in this case (because most will think "only LWS save is needed"), suggesting DP Filter should save in LWS as well in context, but... (shrug)

Personally, I'd prefer ALL surfacing be stored with object, regardless if touched by Image Editor > Processing, but I understand why Layout does it the way it does now. I maintain a tiny bit of hope LW3DG might resolve better during the LW.Next LWO/LWS file format shakeup.

Chrusion
11-30-2016, 06:41 AM
Oh, and only just a wee bit important is to enable "Animated Filters" button on the Image Editor > Processing tab.

Chrusion
12-01-2016, 08:15 AM
That seems a bit undesirable/unexpected.
Actually, it isn't. Why? Because Modeler has an Image Editor, so any work done in Layout's Image Editor would have to be saved in the object in order to be seen in Modeler's Image Editor.