PDA

View Full Version : Follow the leader instances?

objuan
11-27-2016, 11:24 PM
I want to move/rot/scale an object around and have it leave a trail of itself behind.

I have played with doing an instance generator on "motion path" mode and I can get some stuff that kind of works, but not really like I want it to. All my instances tend to move with my hero. I tried putting the instance gen on another object, and reference the hero, but that doesn't seem to work either.

I feel like I must be missing something?

Once I have it set up right, I want to save all of my positioned objects and instances to a model, like Save Transformed Object, but for the whole scene...

Tips?

ernpchan
11-27-2016, 11:49 PM
Saving all your geo, instance generated or not, to an object is the easy part as there are scripts out there that do that.

The part about revealing your animation like an echo time or onion skin effect is more challenging. You could do your animation and then use my Save Transformed Sequence script to save out each frame to its own file. Then bring all those objects in and then apply an object dissolve animation to all your objects. Then use my ShiftKeysPlus script to offset the dissolve envelopes. This would mean you'd have to be happy with your animation since it wouldn't be a setup where you can adjust your animation on the fly.

Maybe there is a nodal solution?

djwaterman
11-28-2016, 01:23 AM
Can you just duplicate the pilot object a number of times and then off-set each copy's key frames?

prometheus
11-28-2016, 11:46 AM
what is important here, doing an animation or is the task just to produce a trail of instances that is supposed to be saved out as a single model?

unstable
11-28-2016, 01:00 PM
If the object is relatively small in the number of polygons, why not create clones and move them as one? Then drop off certain ones throughout the animation.

Example: If your object is a cube, make 3 clones of the cube. Move all four objects to the first key frame, then 3 to the next key frame, then 2 to the next key frame and one to the last. You might have to do some tweaks to ensure only one is visible when moving all together, but I think you get the concept.

objuan
11-28-2016, 06:17 PM
I guess my current objective is to create an end single model with a trail of my object. However, I like the idea of being able to animate things and play with them. A more interactive approach would definitely be preferred, as I'm not entirely sure what I'm going for, and would like to be able to dabble quickly.

Sure seems like The Motion Path - Instance Generator should do what I want, and I can kind of get it to do my bidding forward on the 0 frame, but it goes to hell after that.

Maybe just manually cloning is the way to go.

jeric_synergy
11-28-2016, 07:36 PM
You say you've used MOTION PATH mode, but have you tried SPLINE mode?

Is this an "echo" type look you're trying for, or simply "cars in a train"? That is: at some point do the instances extend from/collapse into just one instance?

Even if you wind up using actual clones, you may find SPLINE CONTROL to be the ticket as it would allow you to alter paths for several hundred items all at once. You could delay their motion using nodes, referencing their clone #, or you could use Ken Nign's WEIGHT CLONE to apply gradated w.maps to all the duplicates and modulate the delay using that w.map.

unstable
11-29-2016, 06:44 AM
I want to move/rot/scale an object around and have it leave a trail of itself behind.

I want to save all of my positioned objects and instances to a model, like Save Transformed Object

Tips?

I have never tried this, but I'm not sure you can save instances as a transformed object. Is this possible?

ernpchan
11-29-2016, 08:03 AM
I have never tried this, but I'm not sure you can save instances as a transformed object. Is this possible?

Yes.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?138546-Converting-instances-to-single-mesh&highlight=Instances+script

MonroePoteet
11-29-2016, 04:56 PM
Kind of a brute force approach, but you could use a Null along the desired path to create Particles to place the Instances, rotating the Base object in place. You could use then Nodes to calculate the (negative) Time Offset based upon the Instance ID. Attached is a sample scene. The Time Offset is calculated by multiplying the Instance ID by -(1/30) (assuming 30fps) so that each Instance progresses down the timeline, but is fixed at that offset. The InstancerNull creates the path of the instances, but the time-offset rotation of each instance is taken from the Base object.

Note that the "Transformation Handling" (described on page 48 of the LW 11.6 addendum) must be set to (P)arent.

Hope it helps!

mTp

P.S. Note that the Particle Emitter attached to the null has a size of (1um,1um,1um) and has 0% Parent Motion inheritance so the particles stick in place as they're emitted.

P.P.S. There's also probably a better way of calculating the Time Offset. This was just a first attempt.