PDA

View Full Version : Marvelous Designer - Black Friday

wesleycorgi
11-26-2016, 09:31 AM
I see that MD has a sale for the next few days on both their regular and Steam sites. I have MD 2, but decided to not to upgrade when they increased their prices and added a subscription option. But I have always liked the software.

Does anyone know if MD Steam has any limitations, besides the licensing terms? In the past I have mostly used on personal projects, but have also used for product viz.

samurai_x
11-27-2016, 10:10 PM
Only usable by freelancer afaik.
I'm still thinking whether to get this or not. What's the advantage over syflex?
It looks more tedious to create patterns and assemble them in that interface than just modelling the clothes and simulating the draping in syflex.

Ernest
11-27-2016, 11:51 PM
Several things. The main one for me, is that you can get real clothes patterns from magazines and make those clothings. Another thing is that, even if you want something original and not use commercial patterns, you can have fashion designers/tailors creating your clothing instead of general 3D artists. Another thing is that the simulation takes into account the stitching. Another thing is that you can adjust the clothing to your character with pretty much the same techniques and physics as when fashioning a real dress instead of using the inner geometry of the dress.

erikals
11-28-2016, 10:55 AM
if you got the cash, buy it.

otherwise you can get alright results doing it in LightWave (or such).

I have MD 2

not sure if i'd upgrade myself if i owned MD2. is MD6 that much better?

-------

even with 30% off, from a hobby point of view $550 is a bit steep for me  (these days)

erikals
11-28-2016, 11:24 AM
stuff like this is a bit boring,

Greenlaw
11-28-2016, 05:44 PM
I've used Marvelous Designer a few times a long time ago. It works well but the workflow can be awkward for some production environments because it requires that you create the clothing in the program. This is because it's a fairly accurate clothing and fabric simulator and it expects garments to be modeled exactly like the real thing--no cheating! This means you can't import clothes modeled in Modeler, ZBrush or any other modeling program.

After simulation, you can export the MD mesh with an MDD to use in LightWave. Naturally, you'll want to save this stage for after you've locked your LightWave character animation. (This is where ChronoSculpt might pay off--you can use it to fix any penetration issues rather than re-simming.)

I've used Bullet for reasonably good cloth sims in LightWave but it's not as realistic as MD for garments. That said, Bullet has been more convenient, especially for projects where I've had to share tasks with other animators.

I have Syflex at home but I haven't had the opportunity to try it on a job yet. I know some artists here have gotten really good results from it though.

jeric_synergy
11-28-2016, 09:24 PM
Synchronicity is weird: Just stumbled across a related tool, in 3dCoat:

https://youtu.be/MWp47SjC1NU

spherical
11-28-2016, 10:16 PM
We bought a Steam seat this afternoon. I showed the videos to my SO/Partner, who is a costume designer, and she said: "Get it". She of course immediately gravitated to the pattern approach that it uses. Will be a shorter learning curve for her than me.

Snosrap
11-29-2016, 02:43 PM
I bought the Steam version last night. I have been eyeing MD for some time and at $224 it was hard to pass up. I was using the trial version of MD6 directly from CLO the last few days and from what I can tell the Steam version is identical. It can't be upgraded but so what it does what I want.

wesleycorgi
12-02-2016, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the input. Was out of town for the past week, so missed out on the reduced steam price, but still can get the full edition discounted price. I have Syflex and have used native bullet. Syflex is good but takes many iterations to get what you want. I often find ClothFx actually better than Bullet, though slow. However, MD just works so naturally. Even with the extra steps of importing objects and exporting models/mdd caches, I find the workflow much easier than using low poly proxies with Syflex, Bullet, or ClothFx. Creating clothing is actually easy and fun. And it is dead simple to create realistic animated table cloths, curtains, etc.