PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is Steam and how does it work?

Snosrap
11-26-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm seeing a lot of content creation software on Steam. (Modo, Maya LT, Substance Designer, Mari, Marvelous Designer, etc.) Are these apps full or almost full applications and do they have a time limit? For instance I see they have Marvelous Designer 6 Personal for $224, and it looks like it's a perpetual license with the one caveat of not being up-gradable to MD7 in the future. So do these apps run forever or are they time limited? Also if you get a new hard drive or computer do you get a permament download link? Basically how does Steam Work? Thanks.

Ma3rk
11-26-2016, 10:28 AM
I've never used Steam for anything other than games so can't answer the time limit question, but would think that would be prominently mention if that was the case. I inquired on one of the forums a few months back regarding migrating purchased items to a new system. The replies I got was that it was a pretty straight forward process. Basically, it was set up your Steam account on the new system, archive the title from current system then restore to the new. I purchased a 4Tb external drive primarily for that task. I won't be buying a new game system for a couple months though.

Triodin
11-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Hey Snow - Steam is basically an account that manages your software purchases. There shouldn't be a time limit on any of the creative apps they have on there, but sometimes they have "free weekends" that have a time limit associated with them. There's a ton of game development software and modeling packages that have a lot of pro-game design features associated with them. I'm looking at the Marvelous Designer now (http://store.steampowered.com/app/528100/) and I don't see any time sensitive stuff except for the time nature of the black friday / cyber monday sale. Big caveat that I find with most of the Steam version of apps though: "1. Steam version is personal version and it is available to use for commercial purpose.
2. It is not available to be used by commercial organization."

Snosrap
11-26-2016, 02:32 PM
Thanks guys. Yes that Marvelous Designer promo caught my attention as well. That's basically 1/2 price.

MichaelT
11-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Worth mentioning though is that if you plan to use the Steam version as an Indie, you should probably get the version on their site. The Steam version specifically states that it is not to be used by commercial entities. I.e. indie companies/groups. Privately is one thing, but as soon as you use it as a company.. (even a one man one) no.

Snosrap
11-26-2016, 03:45 PM
Worth mentioning though is that if you plan to use the Steam version as an Indie, you should probably get the version on their site. The Steam version specifically states that it is not to be used by commercial entities. I.e. indie companies/groups. Privately is one thing, but as soon as you use it as a company.. (even a one man one) no.

Right on the front page: "1. Steam version is personal version and it is available to use for commercial purpose." Sounds to me that it can be used by the independent freelancer to make a buck.

MichaelT
11-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Right on the front page: "1. Steam version is personal version and it is available to use for commercial purpose." Sounds to me that it can be used by the independent freelancer to make a buck.

Independent freelancer sure... but not as a company. The very next point: 2. It is not available to be used by commercial organization. But then again, I suppose you could 'sell' your work to the company. Even if it is the same person behind both :) But I don't know enough about American business law to make that call though.

samurai_x
11-26-2016, 06:45 PM
I got modo 10 indie and its everything i need in modo.
One thing thats great about steam is its virtually a floating license.

madno
11-27-2016, 01:38 AM
Don't know about steam,
but marvelous has a black, cyber etc. sale right now (30% discount).
http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/

Snosrap
11-27-2016, 05:01 PM
Don't know about steam,
but marvelous has a black, cyber etc. sale right now (30% discount).
http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/

Yep - at MD.com it would be $385 and through Steam it's $224. So that's part of why I asked the question - what's the difference in product? Looks like the only difference is you can't upgrade the Steam version. From what I've seen in the past, upgrades are around $300 so someone may be better off just getting MD through Steam and timing the upgrade to any Black Friday specials in the future. Of course that is if there are any. :) Actually I'm kind of thinking that MD could very well be just a one time thing for me as I do mostly arch vis stuff.

Ernest
11-27-2016, 07:09 PM
This is a quote from the Marvelous Designer developer on the Steam Discussions forum, in response to the question "Are there any difference between the perpetual standard license and the steam license?":

The features are all same except it requires to purchase a new version(such as MD5 to MD6).
With steam license, it's unavailable to upgrade with promotion discount.

( I have to say, with the disappointing upgrade discount on the last round (just 25% off), I'd go for the Steam version if I needed a personal license.)

Snosrap
11-27-2016, 08:14 PM
This is a quote from the Marvelous Designer developer on the Steam Discussions forum, in response to the question "Are there any difference between the perpetual standard license and the steam license?":

( I have to say, with the disappointing upgrade discount on the last round (just 25% off), I'd go for the Steam version if I needed a personal license.)

Yep - that's my thinking too. I got a few days to mull it over. The demo isn't the speediest on my box, but it's 6 years old already.

DavidDixon
12-21-2016, 02:48 AM
Steam is an automatic software management across multiple computers, friends list, community features and chat functionality.

Snosrap
12-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Thanks David. Yes I kind of figured it all out and went ahead and got Marvelous Designer. They already updated it and that was really seamless and things seem to work real good. So far I wouldn't hesitate to get another app or two.

samurai_x
12-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Substance Indie pack is on sale right now. Big savings.